Why not Orakpo?

Orakpo plays at 265lbs. and has shown the ability to bullrush college guys who'll be stockbrokers once the market comes back, flat out throw guys who'll be pumping gas this year out of the way, and use a few different moves involving his quickness/speed to get around guys who'll never get a whiff of the NFL.

Fixed.

The jury's out on Maybin 'til he does it when the bullets are real, but I've never bought into the Orakpo hype...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The draft really made me upset! I study the draft several months in advance, buy all the draft magazines, look at all the mock drafts online, and prepare as if I had some input...lol....Just an obsessed fan I guess? Anyways, I was also upset when they passed on Orakapo. I also was certain they would go for Everette Brown DE at some point seeing that they had 3 opportunites to get him! They could have drafted Everette Brown and Brian Orakapo and probably solved the DE position for a long time! and still drafted an Offensive Lineman with one of their 3 first picks in rounds 1 and 2. I didn't like any of their picks until Shawn Nelson (TE). I also didn't like the way they handled the Philadelphia trade for J. Peters ! They should have been able to get Philly's 21st pick vice the 28th they got! I don't like any draft where at least 4 of your picks are likely going to shift positions because of different factors such as size or speed etc..... If your going to reach like they did with Levitre for instance then that player shouldn't be drafted to take a step into the unknown of switching positions. He is no lock to be a starter or successful with the switch. If you look at the Bills drafts from the past 5 years or even 7 or 8.

You see a trend of poor overall production and eventually the player often is either out of the league in 3 years or with another team. Reveiw the our draft and you will see just how poor our track record is. The Bills unfortunately try to be cute, and out-think the draft experts! I really believe if you handed me 3 draft magazines, and access to the internet that I could draft better than the Bills management does 9 out of 10 times. So, getting back to the beginning of this I would say without that Aaron Maybin may only be a situational defensive end and will never have the frame to sustain the NFL grind for more than 5 or 6 years tops!

So can everyone else, but I'm glad you have joined the fray of other arm-chair GM's on this board. Here's to a great posting future to you! :rolleyes:

So can everyone else, but I'm glad you have joined the fray of other arm-chair GM's on this board. Here's to a great posting future to you! :rolleyes:

Everyone thinks they can draft better. Hell just look at Mel Kiper. There's a reason no one has EVER even offered to hire him as a GM/personnel man. :P

Fixed.

The jury's out on Maybin 'til he does it when the bullets are real, but I've never bought into the Orakpo hype...

And the teams that Maybin put his better #'s up against were soooooo much better than Big XII competition. His 2 sack performances against Coastal Carolina, Temple, and Wisconsin make him clearly the superior player since all of their OT's will be HOF'ers one day. :rolleyes:

Maybin's game stats http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188688

Orakpo's game stats http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=162410

I'd say they both had their good and bad Saturdays. You're arguement about level of competition though is foolish considering Maybin played in the Big 10. That was an outstanding conference last year. :P

Maybin = Sophmore

Orakpo = Senior

comparing the 2 in college is a tad hard to do. technically you need to look at Orakpo's sopmore season and compare it to maybin last year

Maybin = Sophmore

Orakpo = Senior

comparing the 2 in college is a tad hard to do. technically you need to look at Orakpo's sopmore season and compare it to maybin last year

No I dont. This was Maybin's "Senior" Season, because it was his last season in college. They entered the draft at the same time, therefore they are looked at under the same light. We drafted a boy instead of a man hoping the boy turns into a man....?

No I dont. This was Maybin's "Senior" Season, because it was his last season in college. They entered the draft at the same time, therefore they are looked at under the same light. We drafted a boy instead of a man hoping the boy turns into a man....?

Yes that is basicly correct. Maybin because he is younger will get BIGGER & STRONGER, & has more upside than Orapko. Orakpo has fully matured already.

Maybin = Sophmore

Orakpo = Senior

Yep.

And the Redskins drafted a "man" that doesn't play hard, has bad football skills, and is from Texas.

I know performance probably doesn't mean a whole lot, but Maybin did have more sacks as a Sophomore than Orakpo did as a Senior.

I know that its old news... but i cant for the life of me understand why the bills FO signed maybin when orakpo was still available..orakpo, as far as ive seen, is a proven and established pass rusher.. he's a beast...and knowing that he was on top of everyones list as the top pass rusher, why did the bills go with the next best..this is similar to last years decision to go with mckelvin instead of rodgers-cromartie..maybe im missing something..shed some light on this for me my friends

________NEW JERSEY'S BIGGEST BILLS FAN_____

Simple....Maybin's first step. It is explosive, Orakpo's is not. The bills are in desperate need of a speed pass rusher.

Both corners will be franchise type corners for years. They both excel in multiple coverages and have tremendous return skills....it was a toss up.

Simple....Maybin's first step. It is explosive, Orakpo's is not. The bills are in desperate need of a speed pass rusher.

Both corners will be franchise type corners for years. They both excel in multiple coverages and have tremendous return skills....it was a toss up.

Apparently you have seen Maybin's killer first step. :rolleyes:

While we are on the subject of that 1st round pick and Maybin vs Orakpo, why not Michael Oher?

If Maybin does develop, it might be 2-3 years or more before he is a major factor on that Bills D line.

With Oher, I know he had some trouble in college and lots of teams took him off their boards, but I never did find out what kind of trouble and exactly why so many teams passed on him.

The Bills need a tackle to replace Walker at RT and I'm not convinced that any of the multitude they have in camp can get the job done.

He was named a second-team SEC offensive lineman after his sophomore season and a first-team SEC offensive lineman after his junior season. At 6'6'' 322 and drafted by... you guessed it, the Baltimore Ravens

While we are on the subject of that 1st round pick and Maybin vs Orakpo, why not Michael Oher?

If Maybin does develop, it might be 2-3 years or more before he is a major factor on that Bills D line.

With Oher, I know he had some trouble in college and lots of teams took him off their boards, but I never did find out what kind of trouble and exactly why so many teams passed on him.

The Bills need a tackle to replace Walker at RT and I'm not convinced that any of the multitude they have in camp can get the job done.

He was named a second-team SEC offensive lineman after his sophomore season and a first-team SEC offensive lineman after his junior season. At 6'6'' 322 and drafted by... you guessed it, the Baltimore Ravens

We have a winner. Biggest mistake of the draft