Why not Orakpo?

Wasn't this thread probably not intended to be serious but just a jab at SKOOBY's inanity? SKOOBY=Scooby-Doo, SKRAAPY=Scrappy-Doo? The comments in the initial post are just as dumb as anything posted by SKOOBY himself.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The draft really made me upset! I study the draft several months in advance, buy all the draft magazines, look at all the mock drafts online, and prepare as if I had some input...lol....Just an obsessed fan I guess? Anyways, I was also upset when they passed on Orakapo. I also was certain they would go for Everette Brown DE at some point seeing that they had 3 opportunites to get him! They could have drafted Everette Brown and Brian Orakapo and probably solved the DE position for a long time! and still drafted an Offensive Lineman with one of their 3 first picks in rounds 1 and 2. I didn't like any of their picks until Shawn Nelson (TE). I also didn't like the way they handled the Philadelphia trade for J. Peters ! They should have been able to get Philly's 21st pick vice the 28th they got! I don't like any draft where at least 4 of your picks are likely going to shift positions because of different factors such as size or speed etc..... If your going to reach like they did with Levitre for instance then that player shouldn't be drafted to take a step into the unknown of switching positions. He is no lock to be a starter or successful with the switch. If you look at the Bills drafts from the past 5 years or even 7 or 8.

You see a trend of poor overall production and eventually the player often is either out of the league in 3 years or with another team. Reveiw the our draft and you will see just how poor our track record is. The Bills unfortunately try to be cute, and out-think the draft experts! I really believe if you handed me 3 draft magazines, and access to the internet that I could draft better than the Bills management does 9 out of 10 times. So, getting back to the beginning of this I would say without that Aaron Maybin may only be a situational defensive end and will never have the frame to sustain the NFL grind for more than 5 or 6 years tops!

since 2004: 4 of the bills draft picks are totally out of football (this includes kevin everett), 3 are currently free agents (were on an active roster last year) and 8 play for other teams, of all of these players JP Losman was the only one that was picked before the 4th round (excluding everett who was lost for obvious reasons) So out of 38 players that were drafted in the last 5 years 23 of those players still play for the Bills that is about a 60% retention for the last 5 years. to put this in context, NE has less than 50% retention, SD has the same as us, Pittsburgh has 51%, NYG have 71% MIA has 46%, KC has 46%

now don't get me wrong, we have fielded some pretty crappy teams in the last 5 years but to say that it is because we have bad drafts or bad retention of players would be a mistake.

I know that its old news... but i cant for the life of me understand why the bills FO signed maybin when orakpo was still available..orakpo, as far as ive seen, is a proven and established pass rusher.. he's a beast...and knowing that he was on top of everyones list as the top pass rusher, why did the bills go with the next best..this is similar to last years decision to go with mckelvin instead of rodgers-cromartie..maybe im missing something..shed some light on this for me my friends

________NEW JERSEY'S BIGGEST BILLS FAN_____

Same reason they didn't take Ngata?

:thumbsup:

now don't get me wrong, we have fielded some pretty crappy teams in the last 5 years but to say that it is because we have bad drafts or bad retention of players would be a mistake.

i think we had decent drafts, but the coaches can't maximize every player's talents

but thats been dicussed in about 1000 other threads...

What's that? Too much upside?

:thumbsup: That, or it made too much sense to actually pull the trigger.

The Bills often seem to be trying to outmaneuver themselves.

I think the biggest question mark in my mind is how is Maybin going to look playing LDE at 255lbs. opposed to playing at 230lbs. as he did at Penn St.? Will he be effective at DE in the NFL? Orakpo plays at 265lbs. and has shown the ability to bullrush, flat out throw guys out of the way, and use a few different moves involving his quickness/speed. I have not once seen video of Maybin blowing up a LT, RT, or anybody for that matter to get into the backfield. Orakpo is also a beast in the weightroom benching 525lbs, squatting 500lbs., and has a deadlift of 385lbs. The weightroom isn't everything, but it's definitely an indicator that he has the strength to line up against OT's and handle them. The only thing I worry about with Orakpo is the injuries that he seems to accumulate. My preference? Orakpo. What we got? Maybin. Here's to hoping that this doesn't work out the way the Ngata and Bunkley "pass" worked out. :thumbsup:

I know that its old news... but i cant for the life of me understand why the bills FO signed maybin when orakpo was still available..orakpo, as far as ive seen, is a proven and established pass rusher.. he's a beast...and knowing that he was on top of everyones list as the top pass rusher, why did the bills go with the next best..this is similar to last years decision to go with mckelvin instead of rodgers-cromartie..maybe im missing something..shed some light on this for me my friends

You don't suppose it's because, oh, I don't know, the Bills had things scouted differently than you did? Nah, couldn't be that.

Once again, Maybin is 2 years younger than Orakpo, and is where Orakpo was in college (i.e. coming off his redshirt sophomore season) and physically, 2 years ago. However he came off a season which was a LOT better than Orakpo's season as a true sophomore. Beyond that, he's said to have a great work ethic, doesn't take plays off, and best of all for you sticklers for choir boys, he's, well, a choir boy. I don't know how smart he is, but hearing him in interviews, he sounds intelligent.

Nobody knows. Just another Bills draft...

Time will tell about which pick was better. However, the Bills' primary goal was to improve their pass rush, and the felt that Maybin was a better choice for that to happen. Also, the Redskins' Vinnie Cerrato said that he knew that the Bills were not going to take Orakpo because of their bad look with players from the University of Texas. Moreover, there was a prevailing that Orakpo may be a great athlete -- but not a great football player.

Once again, Maybin is 2 years younger than Orakpo, and is where Orakpo was in college (i.e. coming off his redshirt sophomore season) and physically, 2 years ago. However he came off a season which was a LOT better than Orakpo's season as a true sophomore. Beyond that, he's said to have a great work ethic, doesn't take plays off, and best of all for you sticklers for choir boys, he's, well, a choir boy. I don't know how smart he is, but hearing him in interviews, he sounds intelligent.

/thread

You don't suppose it's because, oh, I don't know, the Bills had things scouted differently than you did? Nah, couldn't be that.

Yeah, the same scouts that enabled the Bills move up and snag McCargo?

Actually NO, The Bills added a top flight scout before the 09 draft in Buddy Nix.

He was some ties to San Diego I think. Is he really a game changer?