NFL - Overtime Solution

Another hotbed topic with the Owners is how to handle Overtime. Currently, the team that wins the coin flip wins most overtime games and people are very irate that the game should not be decided by the coin flip. Interesting point of note - this did not become an issue until they moved the kickoff back from the 35 to the 30. Prior to the move is was about a 50/50 split on who won overtime and the coin flip was never an issue. The reason they moved it back in the first place was to "increase excitement on the kickoffs" and "increase scoring", which worked. Although it is only 5 yards, from a field position standpoint it is huge. If the move the kickoff in OT back to 35 (not all the time), it would effectively level the playing field and solve the OT woes without any major format changes.

I honestly fail to understand why they voted down the NFL Europe system (both teams needed to have had equal possesion). It was extremly exciting to watch and a FG was often not enough to seal the deal. Plus it's an honest system.

If the move the kickoff in OT back to 35 (not all the time), it would effectively level the playing field and solve the OT woes without any major format changes.

That's the only change that should be made. To all the people bitching that teams who win the coin toss seem to win too much, I have this to say. The other team should try playing defense...either on the kickoff by actually covering the kick (or even an onside kick) or by trying to actually stop the opposing offense. It's a team game and if your defense and special teams aren't contributing, you don't deserve to win

I would make the OT so odious, so exhausting, coaches and players would do whatever it takes to avoid it, and play for the win in regulation.

But, that won't happen. So, I support any minor change that makes it less dependent on a coin toss. Otherwise, leave it the same. Anything other than the College OT system.

That's the only change that should be made. To all the people bitching that teams who win the coin toss seem to win too much, I have this to say. The other team should try playing defense...either on the kickoff by actually covering the kick (or even an onside kick) or by trying to actually stop the opposing offense. It's a team game and if your defense and special teams aren't contributing, you don't deserve to win

The problem is that you have to score to win, and that usually only takes place when your on offense unless the opposing defense is just amazing, or the offense your playing just sucks.

We've had this discussion in the past, but I'm too lazy to look it up. But, I recall someone suggesting that they eliminate the OT coin flip. Why not have the opening kickoff determine who would get the ball first, similar to at the start of the 3rd quarter?

Currently, if you win the opening coin flip, you have the option to defer. If you defer, you get the ball to start the 3rd quarter. Why not make it whomever gets the accepts the opening kickoff would also get the OT kickoff. It would add an interesting dynamic to the decision to defer.

It's also an interesting idea regarding the placement of the kickoff. But, I also recall and article that linked the bias in recent years to the coin flip winner due to better field goal kickers not so much the kick off. FWIW.

Another hotbed topic with the Owners is how to handle Overtime. Currently, the team that wins the coin flip wins most overtime games and people are very irate that the game should not be decided by the coin flip. Interesting point of note - this did not become an issue until they moved the kickoff back from the 35 to the 30. Prior to the move is was about a 50/50 split on who won overtime and the coin flip was never an issue. The reason they moved it back in the first place was to "increase excitement on the kickoffs" and "increase scoring", which worked. Although it is only 5 yards, from a field position standpoint it is huge. If the move the kickoff in OT back to 35 (not all the time), it would effectively level the playing field and solve the OT woes without any major format changes.

The coin-toss loser's DC seems to continue his cowardly prevent defense mode, and the winner dinks down the field for a FG.

Give the toss winner the ball on their own 20.

I'd like to see the NFL incorporate some of how they do it in college football. Give each team 1 possession starting at the 35 or 40 yard line. Continue until you have a winner.

You could always trick it up like the NHL. Kick off from the 35 and remove a player from each side of the ball (10 each side). If no winner after 15 minutes, go to a Kick-Out. Each kicker takes a shot from the 20. Move back at 5 yard incriments until you have a winner.

I'd like to see the NFL incorporate some of how they do it in college football. Give each team 1 possession starting at the 35 or 40 yard line. Continue until you have a winner.

You could always trick it up like the NHL. Kick off from the 35 and remove a player from each side of the ball (10 each side). If no winner after 15 minutes, go to a Kick-Out. Each kicker takes a shot from the 20. Move back at 5 yard incriments until you have a winner.

I absolutely can't stand college football OT. To me that's not real football.

The problem is that you have to score to win, and that usually only takes place when your on offense unless the opposing defense is just amazing, or the offense your playing just sucks.

Punters have a job for a reason...because offenses get stopped often...doesn't have to be an amazing defense, just one that can stop someone

Totally assisine. Why shouldn't BOTH teams have to play defense to win? Because you won a coin flip? BFD

I think the best way would be first team to six. one td or two FGs. That would prevent: a good return, two first downs, and a long kick, winning the game. everyone talks about how both teams should get an opportunity to score because losing in the way i described sucks. On the other hand if a team moves the ball down the field or burns another team for a long bomb or run for TD that team should win.

The only problem I have with over time is the fact that a teams offense could never touch the ball. The only thing I would change is that if the team who wins the coin toss and or receives first scores on the opening possession than the team who kicked should get one possession to tie it up or win.

Once both teams have taken an offensive snap than it goes into sudden death. The only real compliant I see with the NFL Europe equal possession system is that we could see a lot of ties and over times that take forever. For TV purposes the NFL does not want to see that happen.

So I think a good compromise to the two would be the each gets at least one offensive possession. Than once each team has been given a shot to score its whoever scores first wins. Its more fair yet it won't take as long as the NFL Europe system.