Ryan Leaf...once a loser

What a fall from the top. I recently read in an older book by Lee Steinberg that Leaf had high character and was a good person that got a bad rep. Tough to feel the same after he does crap like this though.

Makes me wonder if -in a parallel universe- Peyton M. had gone to San Diego and Leaf to Indy, would this article be about Manning while Leaf is on his way to a HOF career and a media darling? Ya know, like Trading Places? Leaf had it all, coming out of college, whooped us in his debut and seemed off to a star filled life. Now, he's star-crossed.

Interesting what happens when you opt for the other path at the fork in the road..

Makes me wonder if -in a parallel universe- Peyton M. had gone to San Diego and Leaf to Indy, would this article be about Manning while Leaf is on his way to a HOF career and a media darling? Ya know, like Trading Places? Leaf had it all, coming out of college, whooped us in his debut and seemed off to a star filled life. Now, he's star-crossed.

Interesting what happens when you opt for the other path at the fork in the road..

I can't see Peyton carrying himself like Leaf has under any circumstances...he carried himself well in college and has a good support system in a former NFL QB who played pretty well for the Saints...Peyton calls him "dad"

I can't see Peyton carrying himself like Leaf has under any circumstances...he carried himself well in college and has a good support system in a former NFL QB who played pretty well for the Saints...Peyton calls him "dad"

Yeah, I'm just 'supposin'.. I'll will say that it doesn't matter who your Daddy is, if you make the choice for addictive drugs, this is the likely end result.

I understand what you are saying; however, I disagree. If you look back at Manning's rookie year, he struggled quite a bit himself. The team went 3-13 that year, and he threw A LOT of interceptions. But you could tell that he had supreme confidence in himself and that he would eventually become a good QB. I remember Manning, in particular, standing up and taking the potshots from reporters -- never deflecting the blame and at the same time not looking lost/scared/frustrated. Contrast that with Leaf's infamous "Knock it off!" outburst.

I remember that 1998 draft very well. There were many at the time that thought that Leaf was the better prospect because he had the bigger arm. (People forget that the Chargers actually traded a boatload of picks, including the following year's #1, to move up ONE spot with the Cardinals for the right to take Leaf).

I remember that Ted Marchibroda once said that a good NFL QB needs 3 things: intelligence, physical toughness and mental toughness. Manning had/has all three of these things. Leaf had none of the three.

From what I understand, his wrist injury was a pretty bad one- if you are in that type of pain, you tend to do to extremes to try to stop the pain. He may have his flaws, but this is somewhat understandable.

From what I understand, his wrist injury was a pretty bad one- if you are in that type of pain, you tend to do to extremes to try to stop the pain. He may have his flaws, but this is somewhat understandable.

I saw a short feature on him a year or so ago...he was getting along ok - evidently managed his money well.

It's a shame - drug addiction is horrible.

Just curious. Why does this "once a loser, always a loser" philosophy not apply to TO?

Other than calling Garcia a homo, what's TO done that we really know about? A lot of the stuff that he's done he claims the media created. Now, I personally thought he was full of it when he said that but then we ourselves saw the media make an issue out of how he got #81 here so I have to wonder now

To call Leaf a loser is sort of harsh. He has a drug problem, and is a troubled soul at this point of his life. Not all people who get addicted to drugs are low-lifes. Addiction causes people to take drastic measures to feed it. I would say he needs help and is in a lose-lose situation right now. Brett Favre was addicted to pain pills, is he a loser?

Just curious. Why does this "once a loser, always a loser" philosophy not apply to TO?

TO has won on every team he has been on and is a future HOFer. Leaf was one of the worst QBs ever and biggest bust in NFL history. You would have too incredibly dumb not to see the difference. Of course judging by yuor previous posts, I don't think that is much of a stretch at all.

In Bizzaro world, but then Manning would be the opposite of himself too and Polian would be a horrible GM. A lot would have to happen for Leaf to become a Pro-Bowler. JMO

I still think with the right coaching and an offense that played his strengths, Ryan Leaf could be a pro bowler. :ph34r:

Have you been talking to the dude who said the same things about Losman? :ph34r:

If that is directed to me, all I can say is, I am well on record here is being 100% opposed to the Terell Owens signing...

To call Leaf a loser is sort of harsh. He has a drug problem, and is a troubled soul at this point of his life. Not all people who get addicted to drugs are low-lifes. Addiction causes people to take drastic measures to feed it. I would say he needs help and is in a lose-lose situation right now. Brett Favre was addicted to pain pills, is he a loser?

I think Leaf is a loser in every sense of the word. I understand addiction. But, I don't throw tags on people (fellow wallers, athletes, celebs, etc) casually. Leaf had a golden opportunity to live a dream existence, and lost it all. So, in the truest sense of the word, he is a loser. He lost back then, and continues to lose.

Favre was addicted, but dealt with it (so they say), and was able to have a successful career. So, by my defintion, he isn't a loser. He never resorted to breaking in to homes to steal perscriptions, or trying to deceive doctors or pharmacists to get more pain pills.

Heath Shuler had a similar trek through the NFL as Leaf. He was a bust, but not a loser. He never panned out in the NFL, but used the money he made to secure his future, and forge a new career for himself in politics. I would define Shuler as a winner.

Leaf is still a loser...

In Bizzaro world, but then Manning would be the opposite of himself too and Polian would be a horrible GM. A lot would have to happen for Leaf to become a Pro-Bowler. JMO

:ph34r:

:D Touche.

And we win 4 straight SB'S! :ph34r:

I think Leaf is a loser in every sense of the word. I understand addiction. But, I don't throw tags on people (fellow wallers, athletes, celebs, etc) casually. Leaf had a golden opportunity to live a dream existence, and lost it all. So, in the truest sense of the word, he is a loser. He lost back then, and continues to lose.

Favre was addicted, but dealt with it (so they say), and was able to have a successful career. So, by my defintion, he isn't a loser. He never resorted to breaking in to homes to steal perscriptions, or trying to deceive doctors or pharmacists to get more pain pills.

Heath Shuler had a similar trek through the NFL as Leaf. He was a bust, but not a loser. He never panned out in the NFL, but used the money he made to secure his future, and forge a new career for himself in politics. I would define Shuler as a winner.

Leaf is still a loser...

The Bills, could be easily defined as a team/organization as losers for a long long time now.. Through association, as fans of this team, doesn't bode well for us. I guess it's how you look at it. I see him as a person in need of help and guidance, and not a loser. I understand your point though and can appreciate the stance as well.

P.S. ufck Brett Favre.. I say by all means that he did abuse pills and in doing so deceived doctors into prescribing them to him. He is a winner, no arguing that, but he sure can't seem to let it go and hang up the cleats.

If you knew about this guy in his days at WASU, this really is no surprise. He had a ton of baggage while in college but was a physical specimen and obviously played well. San Diego chose to overlook his "off-field" antics and personality flaws, which in retrospect was a huge mistake. However, it is still truly a sad situation to see a guy go from having everything to having nothing in a few short years.

• 3 weeks later...
If you knew about this guy in his days at WASU, this really is no surprise. He had a ton of baggage while in college but was a physical specimen and obviously played well. San Diego chose to overlook his "off-field" antics and personality flaws, which in retrospect was a huge mistake. However, it is still truly a sad situation to see a guy go from having everything to having nothing in a few short years.

I have zero sympathy for guys like this. Even if his NFL career was a complete bust, the guy not only got a free college education, not only had a multitude of contacts that he could use to build a career that few others have, but he also basically won the lotto with whatever his rookie contract paid him. He has no excuses...none.