Opinion on Will linebacker entering Camp

Well...we certainly have seen many free agent OLB's come to visit buffalo over the past few months, and none have garnered major interest (it would seem) sans the signing of the reserve linebacker, Pat Thomas. A lot of people on here favored signing Cato June and Freddie Keiaho; neither would have been all-pro's but seemed to fit the system well. We finally get excited about some decent talent when Pisa comes to town, but that seems to be fizzling out as well! What are Jauron and Fewell thinking? Are they happy with Ellison, Pat Thomas, Alvin Bowen.......or Nic Harris?? I need some clarity. Throw me a bone.

Serenity now!

Well...we certainly have seen many free agent OLB's come to visit buffalo over the past few months, and none have garnered major interest (it would seem) sans the signing of the reserve linebacker, Pat Thomas. A lot of people on here favored signing Cato June and Freddie Keiaho; neither would have been all-pro's but seemed to fit the system well. We finally get excited about some decent talent when Pisa comes to town, but that seems to be fizzling out as well! What are Jauron and Fewell thinking? Are they happy with Ellison, Pat Thomas, Alvin Bowen.......or Nic Harris?? I need some clarity. Throw me a bone.

Serenity now!

I've never seen a team invite more players to town and not sign them.

Two years ago Posluszny went down and the team had serious issues at LB with only Crowell being a proven vet. Last year, Crowell went down, and Ellison was forced to start. I suppose the more things change the more they remain the same. One injury to a starting LB and a guy like Pat Thomas, Alvin Bowen, or John DiGiorgio is a long term starter.

Depth on a team that finds ways not to spend cap room will always be a challenge. The short term benefit of increasing the profit margin goes out the window when injuries and a lack of depth is revealed.

Ellison couldnt tackle his blow up male sex doll if it were degreased and propped upright. I was surprised that bryan scott didnt see action at linebacker more. Or anyone else, to be honest with you.

We did play a lot of nickel, probably to keep ellison off the field. If we replaced our defensive ends with DTs on running downs and still ran a nickel I would be satisfied.

I've never seen a team invite more players to town and not sign them.

Two years ago Posluszny went down and the team had serious issues at LB with only Crowell being a proven vet. Last year, Crowell went down, and Ellison was forced to start. I suppose the more things change the more they remain the same. One injury to a starting LB and a guy like Pat Thomas, Alvin Bowen, or John DiGiorgio is a long term starter.

Depth on a team that finds ways not to spend cap room will always be a challenge. The short term benefit of increasing the profit margin goes out the window when injuries and a lack of depth is revealed.

Very good point. I believe the lack of depth on this team hurts more than many realize. Our starting talent is not bad,maybe playoff caliber. But once injuries hit our fall is harder due to lack of depth.

The Will LB will be Kawika Mitchell....same spot he manned last year...The Sam LB is up in the air, though

Kawika Mitchell was not the WLB last year. He was listed as the SLB. And, I'm sure he will be the SLB again this year.

I'm pretty sure Bowen was drafted to be the SAM starter for years. I'm hoping to be pleasently surprized by his performance.

That OBD hasn't addressed a 3-down replacement for Ellison implies to me that it will be done by committe and down/distance scenarios. Maybin recently stated they have plans for him to come after the QB from many different places and Digiorgio, Thomas, Harris and Ellison are all the same 'type' of player.

IMO, the only thing that will blow the whole thing up is if Jauron and staff get canned at season's end and the new regime wants to go 4-3. Then we have nobody.

I'm pretty sure Bowen was drafted to be the SAM starter for years. I'm hoping to be pleasently surprized by his performance.

That OBD hasn't addressed a 3-down replacement for Ellison implies to me that it will be done by committe and down/distance scenarios. Maybin recently stated they have plans for him to come after the QB from many different places and Digiorgio, Thomas, Harris and Ellison are all the same 'type' of player.

IMO, the only thing that will blow the whole thing up is if Jauron and staff get canned at season's end and the new regime wants to go 4-3. Then we have nobody.

I was elated with the addition of Bowen, watching him in college next to Tyrone McKenzie, was sweet! I wanted him too and go figure he goes to New England (now out for the year) however he could progress to be the SAM. But as of now Kawika is working as the SAM as he did for a majority last year and very well too. Now not because he is a name, and i know he wants too much at the moment, but if kawika is manning the SAM and Derrick Brooks is a Career cover two WILL, then that would fit us. Not as an everydown player, but he can still produce and be a legit leader! You trickle in Nic Harris and Bowen and there is a great group as well as a great teacher. Who better to help our LB's with a cover 2 scheme than Brooks! I like Pisa too but he will probably end up in Philly!

Kawika Mitchell was not the WLB last year. He was listed as the SLB. And, I'm sure he will be the SLB again this year.

Mitchell may have been 'listed' as the SAM but Ellison played the position far more often than Mitchell did last season. May be one of the reasons Ellison had a drop off last year. He was playing out of position most of the time.

GO BILLS!!!

I think DiGiorgio ain't too bad an LB. Is he really that much worse than Poz?

Mitchell may have been 'listed' as the SAM but Ellison played the position far more often than Mitchell did last season. May be one of the reasons Ellison had a drop off last year. He was playing out of position most of the time.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd love to see where Kawika was listed as the SAM myself...we went into camp with Crow at SAM and Ellison was his primary backup...every depth chart I've seen had Ellison there

I'd love to see where Kawika was listed as the SAM myself...we went into camp with Crow at SAM and Ellison was his primary backup...every depth chart I've seen had Ellison there

Yep. Kawika played WILL primarily in NY and it seems, rightfully so, that's where the Bills value him most. Losing Crowell really hurt IMO. Not that he's that good but Ellison is a fish out of water at SAM.

GO BILLS!!!

Serenity now!

I wondering if Buffalo may go after Derrick Brooks. They went after Jason Taylor hard, maybe that's why they aren't as aggressive with Pisa yet.

Chandler will all due respect I am really uncomfortable with relying on Bowen. He has never started an NFL game. He was not a day one pick either.