Skip thinks Bills one of few teams who might take a chance on Vick

Bayless< douchenozzel

I'm not in favor of Vick ever stepping on an NFL field again. Once the posterboy of the league, he's the present and future posterboy of a thug. I couldn't care less about his paid debt to society. He scammed an organization that made him a millionaire many times over, is now broke and wants to get mo' money. Would anyone willing to give him a chance, give Madoff a second chance in his chosen profession?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills so much as brought Vick in for an interview I'd beat Russ Brandon half to death with my dog's water bowl.

Say "No" to the dog killer!

+1

And then use the food bowl on Vick.

Seriously, if we were to sign him I would burn all of my Bills paraphernalia and disown the team.

The official TBD media status barometer:

ESPN - bad

Bill Simmons - eternally bad (nobody that I know of likes this douchenozzle)

Mel Kiper - good

Yahoo Sports - bad

Todd McShay - good

Don Banks - was bad, but is now good

Jim Rome - good (I think, I can't remember, I heard him being spoke of fondly recently)

Gregg Easterbrook - good because he has relatives in this area I think?

Chris Berman - good (but once he announces someone other than the Bills making the Super Bowl, that will change)

Peter King - bad unless he writes something nice about Jim Kelly

Colin Cowherd - bad

Channel 7 News - good because they pandered to TO's VH1 show

Easterbrook is from the Buffalo area, I believe.

Also, John Clayton (Gazoo) should probably be on there as well (green right now, from this).

+1

And then use the food bowl on Vick.

Seriously, if we were to sign him I would burn all of my Bills paraphernalia and disown the team.

So the players we've had over the years who have beaten women, killed their ex wife, used drugs, had multiple DUIs, run over people with cars, killed three teenagers in a DUI accident prior to singing with us, assualted police officers, etc haven't bothered you that much? Sign a guy who killed some dogs, and now they're done?

I'm not condoning Vick's behavior, I'm just pointing out that we've had a cast of people here over the years who have done some pretty heinous things to other people and we all keep watching.

If you mean Vick as a kick returner or WR or RB, maybe. As QB? Fugget'about it! He wasn't a good QB to start with. Two years in the klink won't make him better.

PTR

Vick is the perfect 2nd string QB. He can come in off the bench when the #1 gets hurt and he doesn't need a lot of reps in the offense to be able to make a difference in a short amount of time. That's how I'd want him used if he were on the team. Clearly not as a #1 QB. #2 QB for use in emergencies, and special formations (Wildcat, etc.). He'll be cheap and a far better #2 QB than Fitzpatrick.

So the players we've had over the years who have beaten women, killed their ex wife, used drugs, had multiple DUIs, run over people with cars, killed three teenagers in a DUI accident prior to singing with us, assualted police officers, etc haven't bothered you that much? Sign a guy who killed some dogs, and now they're done?

I'm not condoning Vick's behavior, I'm just pointing out that we've had a cast of people here over the years who have done some pretty heinous things to other people and we all keep watching.

Vick screwed up ... big time ... but he served his time and deserves a chance to resume his career if anyone will have him. Was his crime any better or worse than the ones the Senator mentioned is debateable ... with Vick, it's more the singularity of his crime, so it stands out more. Lots of guys in the league have done the things from Blutarsky's post, but only one was torturing and killing dogs.

Another example ... lots of guys got in trouble in college, but who was the only one to poop in a girl's closet (Najeh Davenport).

Vick should get another chance, just not here ...

Post of the day. Complete with color coding. You sir are the big winner chicken dinner.

I think I pretty much agree with your list.

These are actually MY thoughts, I'm merely the keeper of the list. The list is compiled on a weekly basis, and factors in what each writer said about the Bills. If a writer says something negative (whether it's accurate or not) he/she is immediately labeled in RED and given "bad" status. If he/she writes something glowing or wonderful about the Bills, then they get the lucky GREEN stamp and "good" status. This isn't an exact science, but most of you are familiar with how sensitive we are to the media's perception of the Bills AND their level of "respect" (or lack there of). This is a way for us to keep track of who we are supposed to like and dislike each week.

No mention of Tim Graham?

Do "we" like him right now? It's hard to keep track sometimes? Let me know Dean and I'll add him to the list.

Also, John Clayton (Gazoo) should probably be on there as well (green right now, from this).

So for now we put him down as "GOOD?" Consider it done, Rubes. :thumbdown:

I'm not condoning Vick's behavior

Really? Maybe you are just missing the point.

Vick engaged in an ongoing criminal enterprise that involved torturing and killing dogs. He bread dogs for the sole purpose of being tortured and killed...for money. It isn't as if he made a mistake, lost his temper or was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Are there worse crimes? Of course. But many of those you site involve a poor decision at a time of stress or while under the influence. This crime is a sober, deliberate and cold-blooded.

Really? Maybe you are just missing the point.

Vick engaged in an ongoing criminal enterprise that involved torturing and killing dogs. He bread dogs for the sole purpose of being tortured and killed...for money. It isn't as if he made a mistake, lost his temper or was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Are there worse crimes? Of course. But many of those you site involve a poor decision at a time of stress or while under the influence. This crime is a sober, deliberate and cold-blooded.

Be careful now Dean, Leonidas is going to come over her and castigate you for taking this topic into the moral arena!

On ESPN's First Take, Skip just said Buffalo is one of the few teams who might take a chance on Vick.

He cited a need to raise attendance and keep the team in Buffalo (yes, really) as the reasons for why Buffalo grabbed TO and would be the team most likely to make a move for Vick.

I completely disagree with his assessment (both in terms of his logic and conclusion)

What are your thoughts?

Buffalo would not take a chance on Vick. HE has negative publicitiy unlike TO who is more of a positive because he does not have any off the field issues only issues directly relating to a team but instantly makes any team better. Vick on the other hand will instantly make a team worse becuase of all the negative publicity not to mention the teammates that might not have any respect for him and would not listen to him or follow his leadership.

Bayless< douchenozzel

I'm not in favor of Vick ever stepping on an NFL field again. Once the posterboy of the league, he's the present and future posterboy of a thug. I couldn't care less about his paid debt to society. He scammed an organization that made him a millionaire many times over, is now broke and wants to get mo' money. Would anyone willing to give him a chance, give Madoff a second chance in his chosen profession?

To start with, I think Skip is one of the worst "journalists" our there. He is a glorified shock jock. He spews titilating commentary designed strictly to be contraversial. When he's on ESPN I'm not. That's how much I dislike his brand of journalism.

As was mentioned by another poster, the Bills don't need Vick to sell tickets. Our season ticket sales are approaching their highest levels ever and we've been pretty much selling out one of the games highest capacity stadiums on a regular basis. With TO here we're going to get all the media attention we need. Our FO has been known for pursuing high character guys. Bringing in TO, who most consider a questionable character guy, is one thing. Bringing in a 2nd questionable character guy, like Vick, would signal a major shift in the philosophy of our FO. I don't see this happening.

I don't condone what Vick did, but I don't agree with your points. He didn't scam the Falcons and unlike Madoff his offense had nothing to do with his profession. I don't have a problem with Vick getting a 2nd chance to play pro ball. He performed on the football field. His crime had nothing to do with his profession.

I truly like the Bill's off season moves and the direction the offense is taking. I wouldn't want to see Vick here. He's going to be looking to start where ever he goes. IMO bringing vick in here would have the potential to hurt the team by undermining Edwards.

I'd take him in a second. If he can't play, cut him. 10 years w/o the playoffs.....one reason is because we NEVER took chances like this.

Do you remember who our current backup Qb is? Oh YEAAAH

If you mean Vick as a kick returner or WR or RB, maybe. As QB? Fugget'about it! He wasn't a good QB to start with. Two years in the klink won't make him better.

PTR

During those two years in the klink he probably had plenty of chances to work his skills as a receiver

Yeah I know, bad pun

How could you leave out TBD's favorite chant-----"Mort's a douche"?

Vick is a sh**ty NFL QB. Whoever is dumb enough to sign him will soon remeber this.

:thumbdown:

Pardon me, allow me to add Mort to the list as well.

Again Mea Culpa...

Will never happen ... he would be too much of a distraction.

Sincerely,

T.O.

Yeah completely comparable situations. One is vilified by the media, for anything under the sun, but is otherwise a guy who stays out of trouble, and doesn't run illegal operations, and didn't serve time in jail. Statistically one of the best player at his position for years. The other was beloved by the media for unknown reasons, did run an illegal operation, and served time in jail. Statistically one of the worst players at his position since he came into the league.

Yeah completely comparable situations. One is vilified by the media, for anything under the sun, but is otherwise a guy who stays out of trouble, and doesn't run illegal operations, and didn't serve time in jail. Statistically one of the best player at his position for years. The other was beloved by the media for unknown reasons, did run an illegal operation, and served time in jail. Statistically one of the worst players a his position since he came into the league.

One is best known by his intials

The other is best known as Ron Mexico