Has anyone been on a TV game show?

rockpile

I have an audition for 'Who Wants to Be A Millionaire' on Thursday the 21st in NYC

. This is just to determine eligibility. You take a test and if you pass, you have an interview. It at least gets your name in the hat!

Anyone have any good stories to tell or advice?

I just figure if I pass on this I will always regret not trying. I always wondered how I would do on a show like that. It is easy at home on the couch.

<_<

I have an audition for 'Who Wants to Be A Millionaire' on Thursday the 21st in NYC

. This is just to determine eligibility. You take a test and if you pass, you have an interview. It at least gets your name in the hat!

I just figure if I pass on this I will always regret not trying. I always wondered how I would do on a show like that. It is easy at home on the couch.

<_<

My brother in law won 250k on that show, ran out of lifelines on the 500k question, and was afraid to answer not being 100% sure. Turns out his guess would have been right for 500k.

I auditioned for Millionaire a few years back. I passed the first test (only about a dozen out of 200 did), but never got called after the interview process. What I really want to be on is Jeopardy.

When I was like 7 years old my Dad was on Dialing for Dollars <_< They had our family stand up in the audience and I was on TV for the first time!

:devil:

Congrats & good luck on making it & winning! Meredith Vieira mmmmmmmm!

I auditioned for Millionaire a few years back. I passed the first test (only about a dozen out of 200 did), but never got called after the interview process. What I really want to be on is Jeopardy.

I tried out for Jeopardy down here in DC about a dozen years ago. I seem to remember it being a 75 question quiz, and the first 'answer' was, "This WWII figure was known as the 'Desert Fox.'" I thought, dang, this is going to be a piece of cake.

Well, the next 74 'answers' were not so simple. Of about 100 in the room, they picked the top five. I was not one of them. Everyone got a "Thanks for playing our game" Jeopardy pen. Woo Hoo!!! :devil:

That was my first and only dip in the gameshow pool.

Good topic.

Not quite a game show, but my sister was on Romper Room back in the late '60s. Anyone else remember that show from childhood?

IIRC, RR produced and filmed locally in each market, as opposed to network affiliates just running the national broadcast. As such, many local kids appeared on the show. I vaugely recall going to the studio for the taping.

Not quite a game show, but my sister was on Romper Room back in the late '60s. Anyone else remember that show from childhood?

I see Timmy, and Susie, and Jenny -- and I see YOU too! :devil:

I remember watching Romper Room on a B&W TV - probably 1958 or 1959 with my Mom. It is one of the few memories I have of my mother (she died of cancer in 1960).

Good topic.

IIRC, RR produced and filmed locally in each market, as opposed to network affiliates just running the national broadcast. As such, many local kids appeared on the show. I vaugely recall going to the studio for the taping.

I watched an episode of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" on the Game Show Network just before the Hawks-Wings game started -- I was absolutely stunned by the stupidity of one of the contestants.

He used the "Ask The Crowd" lifeline to answer the question "In which country is 'Arrivederci' used a common salutation?".

A couple of questions later, he used the "50/50" lifeline for a question asking "Which common tool sometimes has a 'ball peen'". The 50/50 narrowed it down to screwdriver and hammer. He guessed screwdriver.

I watched an episode of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" on the Game Show Network just before the Hawks-Wings game started -- I was absolutely stunned by the stupidity of one of the contestants.

Some of the newer episodes I've seen, I've joked with the wife they should change the name to "Who Wants To Be An Idiot". Saw one person use all three lifelines before the $1000 level.

Who Wants to be a Millionaire Audition

Summary observations: About 120 people in a cafeteria style room New group every 20-30 minutes (I saw them going in from about 4PM to 7PM non-stop That means at least 700-800 people took test that day I saw. There were at least three more days of auditions conducted. Format: 30 multiple choice questions 10 minutes / 3 minutes per question Only 8 or 9 "passed test" – about 7 ½ percent; I had heard 15 percent was the average cut off in past auditions, but that is not confirmed.

The test went by really fast. I was on #17 when they said "five minutes". The only thing I double checked was that every answer was shaded in. I am pretty sure I scored 85% or higher based on what I can remember. If I had been thinking, I would have written down crib notes immediately after the test so I could recall the questions.

Several questions were cake if it was your area of interest, but a blind guess if not. These would have been easy if the "ask the audience" option was available. They were pop music, football, or cable television questions. The old lady next to me knew the Grammy answer but had no clue as to who Ben Roethlisburger was. *-)

I would say if I had all the help options available, I could have easily won at least $25K. Without the help, there were way too many guesses.

What bugged me was that there was no feedback. How many correct answers did I have (percentile)? How many correct answers did you need (percentile)? I did not expect them to give me the Q & A's but having no idea how I did is frustrating. Was I one answer or ten answers away from passing? I am somewhat embarrassed that I did not pass and almost convinced you had to be a trivia God or very lucky, or both, to qualify. *-) If I was planning to be in NYC, I would give it another try, but I would not make a special trip only for the audition again.

Luckily, me and an old friend from Jersey had a nice time just catching up on news (we have been friends for 30 years and see each other two or three times a year.) We got just enough sleep after I drove in Wednesday night. We took it slow Thursday morning and stayed cool until after the test. We went to a garden vine-roofed restaurant, where I had coffee and soda water, while he had soup and Merlot. While we were there a couple artists were painting murals on the brick walls: One was a Tuscan Valley, the other a "window" into the kitchen. They were happy to discuss the painting, style, critiques from us and each other. We had some credibility with them because my friend had just returned from Tuscany! Also our critique was more of a conversation about the effects they were looking for, and our feedback; we were not a**hole dilettante tourists telling them how to paint – LOL! We walked past the Dakota where Lennon was so unfairly taken from this plane by a crazy non-human.

We also visited Strawberry Fields (Lennon's memorial) in Central Park' It was nice and shady and a place to sit on a HOT day.

After the test we headed south and stopped at McSorley's Old Ale House (oldest pub in NYC) and walked over to East Greenwich Village. Along the way we grabbed some supper, a couple more ales, and hung out in Washington Square Park, listening to musicians and enjoying the character and characters of a GREAT city.

I'll be returning to the city in early June with my wife for a Yankees game in the Bronx, and one night in a hotel near Battery Park. I hope the weather is nice so we can spend the night in the Village again.

McSorely's

Strawberry Fields

Washington Square Park