Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

Heh, Tim can you write an article or segment calling out RW? This team is the most pathetic I have ever seen. I have followed the Bills since OJ was on the roster and can't remember things this bad. RW needs to sell the team or get busy cleaning house. The natives mood on this board are at an all time low. The players have quit and an open revolt is the next thing to happen. Something needs to be done. This is all on RW's head, hire a real GM !

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, Tim can you write an article or segment calling out RW? This team is the most pathetic I have ever seen. I have followed the Bills since OJ was on the roster and can't remember things this bad. RW needs to sell the team or get busy cleaning house. The natives mood on this board are at an all time low. The players have quit and an open revolt is the next thing to happen. Something needs to be done. This is all on RW's head, hire a real GM !

If you have been following since OJ you should recall '76, '77, '84,'85, '01......

Hey Tim,

I see upgrades NEEDED at both OT positions, DT, OLB, and QB.

OT - Neither edge of the line has been reliable all season. Do you see Bell progressing enough to actually be a reliable starter next season? If Butler can stay healthy is he more likely to stay at T or move back to G?

DT - Last in the league against the run and that starts up front. I've been more than satisfied with Williams' play this season but I think we need a beefier guy up there to absorb more blockers.

QB - I don't see the long term solution currently on the roster. Should an early pick address this situation or an experienced vet? If there is no O-Line improvement I feel like it would be a setup for a young player to fail where an experience vet would handle pressure around him a bit better.

OLB - There is no depth at this position, and while Ellison has been a tackling machine it hasn't been anything meaningful. In fact none of the LB's have been impact players. Would getting a hard nosed, take no $*&^ player here make as much of an impact as I think he will?

Aside from the obvious need to change the Buffalo regime and bring in a winning culture, what is THE biggest need area for the Bills?

-Timba

Hey Tim why didn't you mention Russ Grimm as a candidate for head coach next season. The guy was a finalist for the Steelers job when Cower left (Some even speculate that the Rooney rule is what dicked him over). The guy is now O-Coordinator for a very good Cardinals offense and has a history of getting the most out of his offensive lines.

To me its seems like he is the best fit for the job. He is the opposite of Jauron an offensive coach who instills passion and fire into his players. I think that Grimm also isn't a guy who will command a super high salary or much control of the organization either. He also has a specialty to get a lot out of offensive lines (The Steelers and the Cards don't have a whole lot of O-line talent but they have played above their talent level enough to make and win super bowls).

I mean you have to like a guy who can coach up our young o-line and craft a decent offensive attack. We have for the most part hired Defensive Head coaches (Mularkey being the only exception over the last 12 or so years) like DJ, Phillips, and Williams and that has to be a part of the problem with this lack of offensive production. To me Grimm fits the mold for what we should be looking for.

In most seasons I think Grimm would be a pretty in demand guy (Hey any guy the Steelers highly thought of would be) but with the Cowers, Shanahans, Grudens, and Holmgrens out there he might not have the selection he would usually would have in most seasons.

So my question is, is Russ Grimm a realistic possibility for the Bills?

He would be a great candidate. If the rumbling about hiring a GM with NFL credentials, everybody SHOULD be considered ... former head coaches, coordinators, up-and-coming assistants, college coaches. They need to consider everybody in a broad search.

Hey Tim why didn't you mention Russ Grimm as a candidate for head coach next season. The guy was a finalist for the Steelers job when Cower left (Some even speculate that the Rooney rule is what dicked him over). The guy is now O-Coordinator for a very good Cardinals offense and has a history of getting the most out of his offensive lines.

To me its seems like he is the best fit for the job. He is the opposite of Jauron an offensive coach who instills passion and fire into his players. I think that Grimm also isn't a guy who will command a super high salary or much control of the organization either. He also has a specialty to get a lot out of offensive lines (The Steelers and the Cards don't have a whole lot of O-line talent but they have played above their talent level enough to make and win super bowls).

I mean you have to like a guy who can coach up our young o-line and craft a decent offensive attack. We have for the most part hired Defensive Head coaches (Mularkey being the only exception over the last 12 or so years) like DJ, Phillips, and Williams and that has to be a part of the problem with this lack of offensive production. To me Grimm fits the mold for what we should be looking for.

In most seasons I think Grimm would be a pretty in demand guy (Hey any guy the Steelers highly thought of would be) but with the Cowers, Shanahans, Grudens, and Holmgrens out there he might not have the selection he would usually would have in most seasons.

So my question is, is Russ Grimm a realistic possibility for the Bills?

Tim,

Who is next out the door? Is this just a last ditch effort by Russ and company to save their jobs, or can we expect real change in the off season?

Thanks.

I'm not hearing anything specific, but I would imagine every member of football operations is in trouble, from the regional scout to Tom Modrak and John Guy.

Hey Tim,

I see upgrades NEEDED at both OT positions, DT, OLB, and QB.

OT - Neither edge of the line has been reliable all season. Do you see Bell progressing enough to actually be a reliable starter next season? If Butler can stay healthy is he more likely to stay at T or move back to G?

DT - Last in the league against the run and that starts up front. I've been more than satisfied with Williams' play this season but I think we need a beefier guy up there to absorb more blockers.

QB - I don't see the long term solution currently on the roster. Should an early pick address this situation or an experienced vet? If there is no O-Line improvement I feel like it would be a setup for a young player to fail where an experience vet would handle pressure around him a bit better.

OLB - There is no depth at this position, and while Ellison has been a tackling machine it hasn't been anything meaningful. In fact none of the LB's have been impact players. Would getting a hard nosed, take no $*&^ player here make as much of an impact as I think he will?

Aside from the obvious need to change the Buffalo regime and bring in a winning culture, what is THE biggest need area for the Bills?

-Timba

I'm partial to the Bill Parcells line of thinking ... O-line and linebackers first. And make 'em big.

Tim,

Something I would think might be an interesting indicator of things to come might be the practices. I'm a firm believer in the "practice the way you play" philosophy. Under Jauron this season (perhaps its been each season and I didn't pay attention until this year), it seems we haven't had a single week where all the starters practiced together for the entire week. That is to say, each of Chris Brown's practice updates lists players not participating in practice, and many times its seems Jauron was just giving the guys a day off because they weren't listed as injured.

So, my thought is... this week and/or next week, does Fewell have everyone practicing? Do some of the players get a day off to stand around and "rest"? What's the demeanor at practice? Is it more "spirited" or does it seem "business as usual"?

I'm sure everyone will be looking at the play on Sunday as some indication of how the team is responding to the HC change. But, it may be interesting to get some insight based on their practice habits.

I'm not sure you're able to view the practices, but maybe you're in the know enough to get a handle on this. Perhaps I'm barking up a dead tree, as well. Either way, thought it was worth asking/posing.

Dan

Tim,

I hope the Bills aim higher than the other candidates Sheft mentioned in his posting. Have you heard of anyone else? BTW, nice post on Edwards demotion.

Thanks.

Shanahan is higher than I thought they would shoot. Color me impressed already. But my expectations were pretty low.

Glad you liked the Edwards-Fitzpatrick post. Lotsa news at One Bills Drive these days.

Tim,

Something I would think might be an interesting indicator of things to come might be the practices. I'm a firm believer in the "practice the way you play" philosophy. Under Jauron this season (perhaps its been each season and I didn't pay attention until this year), it seems we haven't had a single week where all the starters practiced together for the entire week. That is to say, each of Chris Brown's practice updates lists players not participating in practice, and many times its seems Jauron was just giving the guys a day off because they weren't listed as injured.

So, my thought is... this week and/or next week, does Fewell have everyone practicing? Do some of the players get a day off to stand around and "rest"? What's the demeanor at practice? Is it more "spirited" or does it seem "business as usual"?

I'm sure everyone will be looking at the play on Sunday as some indication of how the team is responding to the HC change. But, it may be interesting to get some insight based on their practice habits.

I'm not sure you're able to view the practices, but maybe you're in the know enough to get a handle on this. Perhaps I'm barking up a dead tree, as well. Either way, thought it was worth asking/posing.

Dan

I recall Terrell Owens' comments from a few weeks ago where he said Buffalo is a perfect place for a veteran to play because of all the low-impact practices and time off. I think that's one of the big reasons why Jauron was so liked by his players. He didn't ride them to be prepared. He trusted them to be professional enough and motivated enough to take care of themselves in many ways.

Shanahan is higher than I thought they would shoot. Color me impressed already. But my expectations were pretty low.

Glad you liked the Edwards-Fitzpatrick post. Lotsa news at One Bills Drive these days.

I hear you with the low expectations :lol: It will definitely be interesting to see how things play out. I am also glad the folks at OBD are finally giving the fans their money's worth. Sure and hell haven't been giving it to us on Sundays.

I'm partial to the Bill Parcells line of thinking ... O-line and linebackers first. And make 'em big.

Maybe if the Bills switch to a 3-4. But in a 4-3, I was always in the Jimmy Johnson camp... Dominant and deep DL + everyone fast as heck behind them.

Tim, what is your take on Hamden being unceremoniously dumped? I always thought that he showed potential during his few preseason opportunities of the past. He certainly has the ideal size and strength for a QB. What gives? Why have the Bills just given up on him?

Tim, what is your take on Hamden being unceremoniously dumped? I always thought that he showed potential during his few preseason opportunities of the past. He certainly has the ideal size and strength for a QB. What gives? Why have the Bills just given up on him?

Hamdan was not a project and didn't have any upside. He will be 29 in February. He's a journeyman backup.

As I wrote for the blog, the Bills were missing a young prospect on their depth chart. With Edwards, Fitzpatrick and Hamdan, you pretty much know what they're capable of.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...ned-brian-brohm

Hamdan is a good dude. Classy and intelligent. He has a future in broadcasting. I think he can be great behind the mic. But I think the main reason the Bills kept him around was because he and Edwards are tight.