Phoenix Coyotes are broke...and moving?

Rubes

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IN all fairness... Winnepeg should get first crack at the Yotes... It is their team that was canibalized... Since we are throwing out dream situations... Imagine what a place like Halifax, NS would be like to play an NHL game! :devil:

The only place in the US I like to see a team is Seattle... All other places would be in Canada.

As a former Winnipegger (and a person who attended the last game in Jets history (a Game 6 loss to Detroit)) I can tell you losing the Jets ripped the heart right out of the city. And it's never recovered from it. My family over there still to this day mourn the loss of the team and pray that sometime, someone will bring the team back. The city owns the name and logo still....

Great story on TSN on this crap-fest. In a nutshell, the NHL is lining up a buyer to keep the team in PHX. But the owner of the 'Yotes knows Balsillie will pay double what the franchise is worth. So the owner files for bankruptcy which forces the team to take the highest bid offered (and f**ks over Bettman and the NHL who were going to sell the team at a fire sale price.)

But Balsille puts a caveat in his bid: the team must move to So. Onatrio. Plus the NHL revelas that it has been basically running the team the last 9 months and claims the Coyotes owner does not have the right to declare bankruptcy, only the NHL does. And while a bankruptcy judge is obligated to take the highest bud offered for an asset, what if accepting that bid forces the asset to leave town?

This one ain't over yet, folks...not by a mile.

Bob McKenzie..."how's it goin' eh?"

Darren Dreger: Who own da' Coyotes?

Right...let's let the friggin' Russian mob into the NHL!

Hey Hamilton, ya' gt an AHL team already.

PTR

OWNS! OWNS!

I agree that a team in Hamilton could make for some good rivalries, but I'm not sure I see it happening. I'd really like to see more Canadian teams, so it wouldn't bother me at all.

Then again, I would support moving the team to California if they would bring back the old California Golden Seals.

Why don't they put them in London (ONT)? I know Millbank would be happy! Kinda between the the 'Wings and Leafs!

:w00t:

Either London or Kitchener/Waterloo might be a valid alternative to Hamilton, and less likely to draw a complaint from the Sabres. As for Toronto -- the city could easily support two teams, and nobody can get Leafs tix anyway.

Either London or Kitchener/Waterloo might be a valid alternative to Hamilton, and less likely to draw a complaint from the Sabres. As for Toronto -- the city could easily support two teams, and nobody can get Leafs tix anyway.

Unfortunately, it's the owners who have the say and not the fans. Sure, the Leafs won't lose any ticket sales, but if they're going to lose even $1 somewhere else, they won't let this happen.

Honestly...does anyone think that hockey can survive in Phoenix, Florida, Atlanta or a few other cities.....there are cities that would sell out an 18K arena for years if they moved a team there.....why is this so hard for the idiots at the NHL to grasp....Hockey is a gate driven regional sport....stop pretending it is not...you tried it failed.....make it work in cities it will work....

NHL North

Toronto

Montreal

Ottawa

Hamilton(Phoenix)

Quebec(Florida)

Buffalo

Pittsburgh

Toronto 2nd Team(Atlanta)

NHL East

NY Rangers

Tampa Bay

Philly Flyers

New Jersey Devils

NY Islanders(Tavares should boost the franchise)

Carolina

Boston

Washington

NHL Midwest

Colorado

Detroit

Dallas

Kansas City(Nashville)

Columbus

Chicago

St Louis

Minnesota

NHL West

Vancouver

Anaheim

San Jose

Seattle(expansion)

Edmonton

Calgary

Los Angeles Kings

Winnipeg(Expansion)

taterhill for Commissioner of the NHL. This guy gets it! Bettman the douche does not!

This is a major league pissing contest and one I hope Gary Bruce Bettman loses.

Honestly...does anyone think that hockey can survive in Phoenix, Florida, Atlanta or a few other cities.....there are cities that would sell out an 18K arena for years if they moved a team there.....why is this so hard for the idiots at the NHL to grasp....Hockey is a gate driven regional sport....stop pretending it is not...you tried it failed.....make it work in cities it will work....

NHL North

Toronto

Montreal

Ottawa

Hamilton(Phoenix)

Quebec(Florida)

Buffalo

Pittsburgh

Toronto 2nd Team(Atlanta)

NHL East

NY Rangers

Tampa Bay

Philly Flyers

New Jersey Devils

NY Islanders(Tavares should boost the franchise)

Carolina

Boston

Washington

NHL Midwest

Colorado

Detroit

Dallas

Kansas City(Nashville)

Columbus

Chicago

St Louis

Minnesota

NHL West

Vancouver

Anaheim

San Jose

Seattle(expansion)

Edmonton

Calgary

Los Angeles Kings

Winnipeg(Expansion)

Tampa's not going anywhere. Their attendance has dropped a bit thanks to their recent struggles, but they're still drawing 16k+ per game. If they can return to even mediocrity, they'll be right up over 18K again. They consistently outdraw LA and New Jersey (with a new arena even), but you'll never see anyone calling for their heads.

Other than the Phoenix situation, obviously, the league needs to do something about the Islanders before they attempt to fix any other problems.

Tampa's not going anywhere. Their attendance has dropped a bit thanks to their recent struggles, but they're still drawing 16k+ per game. If they can return to even mediocrity, they'll be right up over 18K again. They consistently outdraw LA and New Jersey (with a new arena even), but you'll never see anyone calling for their heads.

Other than the Phoenix situation, obviously, the league needs to do something about the Islanders before they attempt to fix any other problems.

Jim Kelley (not Kelly) from Fan 590 Toronto was on WGR this morning and says that Isles to KC is practically a done deal. Mainly because the Kings owner also owns the new KC arena. As for the 'yotes he said there's ZERO chance they play in AZ next year. Not neccesarily in Hamilton/Kitchner/Waterloo/Crystal Beach, but not in AZ.

PTR

Jim Kelley (not Kelly) from Fan 590 Toronto was on WGR this morning and says that Isles to KC is practically a done deal. Mainly because the Kings owner also owns the new KC arena. As for the 'yotes he said there's ZERO chance they play in AZ next year. Not neccesarily in Hamilton/Kitchner/Waterloo/Crystal Beach, but not in AZ.

PTR

The Crystal Beach Comets. Make it happen!! :w00t:

Then again, I would support moving the team to California if they would bring back the old California Golden Seals.

Why settle in the hood of OakTown... When they got the Sharks in San Jose... Don't you know hockey is for white suburbanites that have a work ethic and get their children to 0500 ice times? ;);) Classic example, just look how the 'Hawks bandwagon had taken off... :P:w00t:

And yes... I am ONLY joking... Don't mean to get a rise out of anybody. :unsure:

Shocked, yes, SHOCKED I am that ice hockey couldn't succeed in the desert southwest! :P

And yet ironically minor league hockey flourishes in the south. Texas once had 9 teams in the WPHL. Even places like Baton Rouge drew huge crowds for the ECHL Kingfish. Was it for the fights or just a place redneck could get out of the heat?

PTR

And yet ironically minor league hockey flourishes in the south. Texas once had 9 teams in the WPHL. Even places like Baton Rouge drew huge crowds for the ECHL Kingfish. Was it for the fights or just a place redneck could get out of the heat?

PTR

The price of admission and other things... Kinda like how minor leagues work in baseball... So much more enjoyable to go to one of those games than the big leagues... Like the differerce between going to 6 Flags Great America or holding out for the Lake County (Indiana) fair. The nice thing about BFLO is that it is still a down homey, small market... Without so many corporate whores. Now that the BlackHawks have taken off, what a miserbale experience those games are to be (see Bulls basketball after it took off)... The Sox on the SouthSide had a little bit of that, but they still fly under the radar with regards to still allowing the working man take in a game.

I didnt say say anything about Tampa