Jack Kemp RIP

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend told me this announcement might be coming soon. Can't tell you how much I wish that warning had been wrong, and damn, it's tough to type when I can't read the screen.

To put it simply, John French Kemp was the greatest man I've ever known, and it was an honor and a privilege to work for his 1988 Presidential campaign. And by work, I mean the lowest-level volunteer stuff -- manning phone banks, stuffing envelopes, even holding up an "M" placard when we spelled out his name in the back of the auditorium where his primary opponent, Vice-President Bush, was speaking. Didn't care. It was worth it, because this young, idealistic Campus Republican believed, even before I ever met him. After he dropped out of the race, I still wrote him in on my ballot that November, and did the same in '92 even though he didn't run. And I still believe this country would have been far different if he had been elected.

My thoughts are with Joanne and the kids tonight, and with the entire Bills family. What a horrible, horrible week.

God bless you, No. 15. Rest well.

Beautiful Tribute Lori, thanks for sharing.

As a kid growing up we rented Jack Kemp's house in Hamburg on S. Lake St. We would always get the requisite Christmas card from him every year, and I also have fond memories of campaigning for him as a kid in Hamburg High School as part of one of my classes.

He was a great American and a true patriot. He cared deeply about this nation and the American people. Not just the wealthy, but also America's poorest. He tried throughout his career to take measures to revitalize our cities, wanting all Americans to prosper. I also think our nation would be different if he was elected.

This is truly a sad day for our nation. We lost much more than a quarterback or a politician. We lost an American giant. May God grant peace to the Kemp family. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

RIP Jack Kemp

First and foremost, a great human being

A great politician

and last, but certainly not least, a GREAT BUFFALO BILL!

Rather than be sad about his passing or argue politics, let us all rejoice that his suffering is over, he made some great contributions to the United States, and he won us our only two championships.

Very sad news. :unsure:

I'm sure stories will come out again about his generosity.

I remember in years past reading various articles that mentioned how he has quietly helped out many former Bills players who had hard times after their playing careers were over.

He took seriously his role as a leader on the field, and that leadership even took on a greater meaning when his playing days were over. Class act.

RIP

The Buffalo News mentioned his Number 15 is retired. So I guess I was wrong in assuming it wasn't retired since Todd Collins wore that number. Maybe Todd asked for Jack's permission to use that number?

I believe their information is incorrect, and Jim Kelly's No. 12 remains the only officially-retired number in franchise history. It's true that Collins was the first player to wear it after Kemp, but George Wilson also donned No. 15 before he switched to safety, as shown in the 2007 media guide.

Scott Pitoniak wrote about Kemp this morning:

A tribute to late Bills QB Jack Kemp

:unsure: I remember the Kemp and Lamonica Days. I was a Kemp fan my father loved Lamonica. Great days!! sorry to hear about a great Person Passing. The ONLY Qb to win a Championship for BUFFALO. Until this Year!! RIP Jack!

RIP.

Another member of the Buffalo Bills family has passed. He was an inspiration to me as a young Buffalo Bills family and in my economic views (as well as Milton Friedman and Ronald Reagan).

Jack Kemp will be missed.

I should also mention that it is a shame for all of us that two of the leaders in the effort to keep the Bills in Buffalo (Tim Russert and Jack Kemp) are now gone. I hope that their passion to keep the Bills in Buffalo is kept alive by all of us as well as people with the power and influence and money to make that a reality.

"Wrong place for a political debate. Save this misguided, misinformed, and fear mongering thought for the political boards".

Your actual statment was ... "Despised his politics/economics". not "diagreeing with his polictics/economics" big difference! Do you actually know anything about his politics other that he was a republican... then he must be bad! This is highly hypocritcal.

Agreed - how can somebody say despised and then call somebody else out for making it political. How anybody on either aisle can despise Kemp's politics is beyond me anyway.

RIP Jack.

I was unfortunately too young to ever watched a Kemp-led Bills team, but I (like any good, Bills fan in his 20s should) dived right into the Bills history and read about all of the great squads he led on the field.

Great human being, great football player...you will be missed, Mr. Kemp.

I remember getting a Jack Kemp Hutch Buffalo Bills kids uniform for Chrismas when I was 5 years old and I wore it till it almost fell apart it was one of my best preasents I ever got. He certantly was my hero back then.he will truely be missed,R.I.P. Jack and thank you.

Agreed - how can somebody say despised and then call somebody else out for making it political. How anybody on either aisle can despise Kemp's politics is beyond me anyway.

I didn't want to further embarass Spider for his spelling.... glad you caught it...

Likewise, I'm absolutely flummoxed that anyone would use this thread to discuss politics. Folks, please keep your political views to yourselves while we celebrate the life of a fine, decent, giving human being, a superlative statesman, and a QB who ran the Bills offense on a supply-side theory, resulting in back-to-back league titles.

I had the great pleasure and honor of working with Jack's Congressional campaigns. I would not go so far as to say I knew him well, but met him often during my years in our Nation's capital in the early 1980's. I can tell you that he was an indefatigable idealist, had an infectious enthusiasm, and that there was not a malicious bone in the man's body. He was a nearly 'rabid' opponent of racism during his career in pro football, and afterward. Those who condemn his conservatism, do not come close to knowing the man and his unlimited compassion for the downtrodden and less fortunate.

And, oh yeah, he absolute LOVED Buffalo, and the Bills. Was even part of an investment firm with Mario Cuomo and Hank Aaron established mainly to buy pro sports franchises, and which I believe he was going to use to attempt to buy the Bills.

I'll miss him, but am relieved that his suffering is over. I'm sure he's in a better place, talking politics and football with Tim Russert, Lou Saban and Linda Bogdan.

God bless you, Jack French Kemp. Requiescat In Pace.