I always defend WGR...

ans4e64

I always defend Schopp even though most people think he's a dick. However, I couldn't believe what I heard him say this afternoon on the air. This isn't an exact quote, but it's close. He and Parker were discussing the players the Bills drafted, and Parker was saying how he thinks the Bills got good players and were hoping they turn into wins. Schopp then said something along the lines of, "I could care less what happens on Sundays or how the Bills do, I moved here, this is just a job. The only reason I follow them is because it is my job to talk about them."

I realize that he didn't grow up here, or ever rooted for the Bills, and he certainly shouldn't have to be a fan of the team just because he's on the air, but do you have to make it sound like you're completely disgusted with the city and team, and you can't wait to get the hell out of here as soon as the possibility presents itself? Jeez. Even if you actually think that, why in the world would you say that on air to the people that listen to your show? To some of the most passionate fans in the NFL? My God. What does this say about the network in general, that these are the individuals they hire for their shows?

Mike--sorry that you feel forced into the position where you have to talk about the Bills. It is such a shame that you HAVE to follow this shiity franchise and live in the area. Poor you.

Is there really no one else out there that WGR could find, that they have to hire a guy who obviously doesn't want to be here? His attitude towards the team, the area, and the fans is clearly apparent.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always defend Schopp even though most people think he's a dick. However, I couldn't believe what I heard him say this afternoon on the air. This isn't an exact quote, but it's close. He and Parker were discussing the players the Bills drafted, and Parker was saying how he thinks the Bills got good players and were hoping they turn into wins. Schopp then said something along the lines of, "I could care less what happens on Sundays or how the Bills do, I moved here, this is just a job. The only reason I follow them is because it is my job to talk about them."

I realize that he didn't grow up here, or ever rooted for the Bills, and he certainly shouldn't have to be a fan of the team just because he's on the air, but do you have to make it sound like you're completely disgusted with the city and team, and you can't wait to get the hell out of here as soon as the possibility presents itself? Jeez. Even if you actually think that, why in the world would you say that on air to the people that listen to your show? To some of the most passionate fans in the NFL? My God. What does this say about the network in general, that these are the individuals they hire for their shows?

Mike--sorry that you feel forced into the position where you have to talk about the Bills. It is such a shame that you HAVE to follow this shiity franchise and live in the area. Poor you.

Is there really no one else out there that WGR could find, that they have to hire a guy who obviously doesn't want to be here? His attitude towards the team, the area, and the fans is clearly apparent.

It is a universally known and incontrovertible fact that Schoop is a f#cking idiot. Why do you even tune in to that station?

I don't know, I always thought Grand Island was pretty close to Buffalo. :lol:

And he went to St John Fisher and had a job w/ the D&C and then one of the Ra-cha-cha stations before going to WNSA. I doubt he hates the area.

It'd be interesting to hear his actual statement in context. He's definitely not a huge football fan, but that sounds a little over the top for even him. (And I rarely if ever defend the guy.)

It is a universally known and incontrovertible fact that Schoop is a f#cking idiot. Why do you even tune in to that station?

Because they are the ones who get the guests who I do want to listen to. I just tune out Schop and prefer to look at Bulldog's ramblings as amusement, kind of like watching a little kid trying to figure out how to reach the cookies.

Mike is an intellectual bully but not half as smart as he thinks he is- his football knowledge is poor- his hockey and baseball knowledge is fair- he seems frustrated that this is mostly a two sport town- one of my problems is that Parker doesn't call him on his bullsh!t and seems to kiss his butt way too much - an a-hole enabler.

Im not from WNY but im quite sure he will get reprimanded for his comments but even if you dont like him you have respect the integrity of him not wanted to speak about a team that he doesnt favor. Think about are there other teams in the leaugue you care about discussing I personally dont like to, I will be nice and try to talk freindly to my pats fans but it kills me inside because Buffalo is my team and they are veiwed as such bottom dwellers outside of WNY.

Im not from WNY but im quite sure he will get reprimanded for his comments but even if you dont like him you have respect the integrity of him not wanted to speak about a team that he doesnt favor. Think about are there other teams in the leaugue you care about discussing I personally dont like to, I will be nice and try to talk freindly to my pats fans but it kills me inside because Buffalo is my team and they are veiwed as such bottom dwellers outside of WNY.

Yes. But your not on the air talking sports in a town that lives and dies by the Bills and Sabres.

I do not think his position deserves any respect at all. It is idiotic at best and insulting at worst. (a SLAP IN THE FACE! if you will.. :lol:)

He has chosen a career as a sports talk host, and works in the WNY market. If he really means it when he says he hates discussing the Bills (which is an open question—if he thinks this is a clever way to gain listeners then he deserves an even harder SLAP IN THE FACE than usual...) he can

A. Move

or B. Get another job that fits better with his inflated sense of intelligence.

with an option on C. STFU

Mike Schoop is a POS. You cant call in w/o him hanging up on you in the first 10 seconds of the call. Have you ever told him he does a great job? I have and he gets mad that your telling him something that everyone must already know.

Once I started realizing that he is an @sshole who knows less about football and hockey than a Silverback Gorilla I started to turn the channel.

Brad Writer is on 1230am the same time as DICK and the bulldog. I suggest you change the channel and show the people that run WGR what a mistake that POS is and question him being on the air.

Mike if your reading this. I would like you to move out of this city and never speak to anyone here again. You apparently dont like it here, dont like either sport, and cant handle real fans that know what they are talking about and have reasonable opinions that conflict with yours. Go move to New England where you can jump on their bandwagon for every sport and play pansy tennis all day long. Rot in hell you SOB.

I grew up with Mike, I went through elementary school through high school with him. We were friends but not good friends who hung out. He definitely is from around here though, we both lived on Grand Island.

I remember him as a nice guy, not the douche that he seems to have turned into on air (according to what I read anyway, I don't listen to the show). He was always around sports but didn't play any that I remember and I was on a number of different teams. He was not a very athletic guy. He was a "manager" early on then started announcing games during high school of which I remember him being pretty good.

I don't know where he developed this disdain for the Bills though. I think he always liked hockey more, but was a sports nut all around.

If what I read on here is true, that he's an arrogant prick on the air who hates the Bills, then I feel sorry for him. He could have been a very popular and well liked guy in Buffalo because he always had a strong knowledge and love of sports even if he didn't play them.

RTB

Mike Schoop is a POS. You cant call in w/o him hanging up on you in the first 10 seconds of the call. Have you ever told him he does a great job? I have and he gets mad that your telling him something that everyone must already know.

Once I started realizing that he is an @sshole who knows less about football and hockey than a Silverback Gorilla I started to turn the channel.

Brad Writer is on 1230am the same time as DICK and the bulldog. I suggest you change the channel and show the people that run WGR what a mistake that POS is and question him being on the air.

Mike if your reading this. I would like you to move out of this city and never speak to anyone here again. You apparently dont like it here, dont like either sport, and cant handle real fans that know what they are talking about and have reasonable opinions that conflict with yours. Go move to New England where you can jump on their bandwagon for every sport and play pansy tennis all day long. Rot in hell you SOB.

1230am, I'll try that. It's a shame. I really like Bulldog and want to support the sports station in my town, so I'm stuck. But I'm definitely going to try the 1230 station.

I grew up with Mike, I went through elementary school through high school with him. We were friends but not good friends who hung out. He definitely is from around here though, we both lived on Grand Island.

I remember him as a nice guy, not the douche that he seems to have turned into on air (according to what I read anyway, I don't listen to the show). He was always around sports but didn't play any that I remember and I was on a number of different teams. He was not a very athletic guy. He was a "manager" early on then started announcing games during high school of which I remember him being pretty good.

I don't know where he developed this disdain for the Bills though. I think he always liked hockey more, but was a sports nut all around.

If what I read on here is true, that he's an arrogant prick on the air who hates the Bills, then I feel sorry for him. He could have been a very popular and well liked guy in Buffalo because he always had a strong knowledge and love of sports even if he didn't play them.

RTB

If you want to know what the village idiot and his understudy thinks of the Bills, tune into GR in the afternoon. I occasionally listen for the unintentional humor.

1230am, I'll try that. It's a shame. I really like Bulldog and want to support the sports station in my town, so I'm stuck. But I'm definitely going to try the 1230 station.

http://lightningstream.surfernetwork.com/M...n%201230%20WECK

Talking golf right now, but only until the bottom of the hour -- it's a regular show, on every Monday night. Brad's on until 7, and then Allen Wilson and Rod McKissic host an hour-long show after that ...

Oop, never mind. Forgot about the Yankees game.

I know Mike, he is still a nice guy. He has an on air persona that I think is pretty funny most of the time. He gets people talking about him and the station for better or worse. I guess he is not a huge football fan per se, but he still roots for the Bills. To suggest he is not a hockey or Sabres fan is crazy, he is a huge fan of both. God forbid somebody wants to talk about tennis, baseball or golf in Buffalo. Anyway, just adding a different point of view.

I know Mike, he is still a nice guy. He has an on air persona that I think is pretty funny most of the time. He gets people talking about him and the station for better or worse. I guess he is not a huge football fan per se, but he still roots for the Bills. To suggest he is not a hockey or Sabres fan is crazy, he is a huge fan of both. God forbid somebody wants to talk about tennis, baseball or golf in Buffalo. Anyway, just adding a different point of view.

Why would he say something like that on the air? Why would he even make it known that he doesn't care about the Bills or the fans, and that he's only doing this to collect a paycheck?

I guess I'm just disappointed.

http://lightningstream.surfernetwork.com/M...n%201230%20WECK

Talking golf right now, but only until the bottom of the hour -- it's a regular show, on every Monday night. Brad's on until 7, and then Allen Wilson and Rod McKissic host an hour-long show after that ...

Oop, never mind. Forgot about the Yankees game.

Hey Lori, what are your opinions on the individuals and the station as a whole? I never liked that people always complained about the station who's intentions are good, and give us the opportunity to talk about our sports, but I don't think I can defend Schopp anymore. I remember us having a conversation about WGR a while back. I told you I hadn't heard much of Schopp and the Bulldog and you encouraged me to listen to him and Parker. I've listened to them almost every day since then, and I really like Parker. I was on the fence with Schopp but giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think I can any longer.

I really like Howard in the morning, too. Jeremy White is really starting to get to me and turn me off, but he's still tolerable in comparison to the show. Unfortunately, I see myself going down the same road with White that I did with Schopp. I think WGR would be better off taking one of the other guys in the morning (Nick Mendola or the other one) and putting him on in the afternoon with Parker. I'd love to keep listening to the station.

How do you feel about it/them?

I didn't hear the comment so I can't really say. It's not what you want to hear though I agree. I think mrags need to chill a bit though, it's a radio show free over the air. Settle down dude and don't listen if you hate it so much.

I stopped listening to WGR when he is on the air.

1. He is a total ass to his callers

2. The apparent joy he gets out of being so "intelligent" at the expense of others is real tiresome

WECK is a welcome addition.

Dont choke on the chewing gum from your baseball cards Schopp.

Hey Lori, what are your opinions on the individuals and the station as a whole? I never liked that people always complained about the station who's intentions are good, and give us the opportunity to talk about our sports, but I don't think I can defend Schopp anymore. I remember us having a conversation about WGR a while back. I told you I hadn't heard much of Schopp and the Bulldog and you encouraged me to listen to him and Parker. I've listened to them almost every day since then, and I really like Parker. I was on the fence with Schopp but giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think I can any longer.

I really like Howard in the morning, too. Jeremy White is really starting to get to me and turn me off, but he's still tolerable in comparison to the show. Unfortunately, I see myself going down the same road with White that I did with Schopp. I think WGR would be better off taking one of the other guys in the morning (Nick Mendola or the other one) and putting him on in the afternoon with Parker. I'd love to keep listening to the station.

How do you feel about it/them?

Wait. I encouraged someone to listen to Schopp? Was I ill that day? :lol:

Guessing I was responding to someone who was bashing him without listening to him, and I do still have a problem with that, as well as some of the personal attacks I've seen here and elsewhere.

Morning drive: You've been here long enough to know that Howard is one of my favorite people in the business. Jeremy still goes a little too much for the "edgy" sound IMO, but I don't mind that as much as I used to, and I always make sure I tune him and Sully in on Sunday mornings as I'm driving in to the stadium. That said, I'd just as soon hear Howard go solo (and preferably in the afternoon slot), but I think he likes having someone there to banter with.

Afternoons: I'll be dead honest -- I don't listen much. I didn't mind Mike on WNSA (although for some reason, his 15-minute rant on why Hasek should be the Sabres' captain, until McManus finally cut him off by reminding him about the rule that says a goalie CAN'T wear the C, still sticks in my mind after all these years). Parker is a vet who plays his "voice of the fan" part well. But for some reason, when the two of them get together, they grate on my nerves. I actually enjoyed Parker's take when Brad would fill in; haven't heard him much with Nick, but I'm guessing I'd have a similar reaction. Wouldn't mind seeing Nick take a bigger role with the station, in fact.

As for Schopp's current on-air personality ... not my style, and I think I'd best leave it at that.

Obviously the whole premise of this thread is invalid because Mike did grow up here, loves the area, has had numerous offers to leave but choose to stay and hosts the number one talk show in the area.

Mike loves hockey and baseball and admittedly football is not his favorite sport. There may be a lot to disagree with but to post something that is totally incorrect is infantile and ridiculous.

By the way the whole " I usually defend this or I am a fan of this but" is one of the most laughed about cliches when the mike's off.

Obviously the whole premise of this thread is invalid because Mike did grow up here, loves the area, has had numerous offers to leave but choose to stay and hosts the number one talk show in the area.

Mike loves hockey and baseball and admittedly football is not his favorite sport. There may be a lot to disagree with but to post something that is totally incorrect is infantile and ridiculous.

By the way the whole " I usually defend this or I am a fan of this but" is one of the most laughed about cliches when the mike's off.

Thanks for the clarification, Mike...

Wait. I encouraged someone to listen to Schopp? Was I ill that day? :lol:

Guessing I was responding to someone who was bashing him without listening to him, and I do still have a problem with that, as well as some of the personal attacks I've seen here and elsewhere.

Morning drive: You've been here long enough to know that Howard is one of my favorite people in the business. Jeremy still goes a little too much for the "edgy" sound IMO, but I don't mind that as much as I used to, and I always make sure I tune him and Sully in on Sunday mornings as I'm driving in to the stadium. That said, I'd just as soon hear Howard go solo (and preferably in the afternoon slot), but I think he likes having someone there to banter with.

Afternoons: I'll be dead honest -- I don't listen much. I didn't mind Mike on WNSA (although for some reason, his 15-minute rant on why Hasek should be the Sabres' captain, until McManus finally cut him off by reminding him about the rule that says a goalie CAN'T wear the C, still sticks in my mind after all these years). Parker is a vet who plays his "voice of the fan" part well. But for some reason, when the two of them get together, they grate on my nerves. I actually enjoyed Parker's take when Brad would fill in; haven't heard him much with Nick, but I'm guessing I'd have a similar reaction. Wouldn't mind seeing Nick take a bigger role with the station, in fact.

As for Schopp's current on-air personality ... not my style, and I think I'd best leave it at that.

Although Vancouver proved that Mike was right and McManus wrong.

If you want to know what the village idiot and his understudy thinks of the Bills, tune into GR in the afternoon. I occasionally listen for the unintentional humor.

I have heard him talk about being a Bills fan back in the early 90's etc.. on the air. He talks about tennis way too much.

Although Vancouver proved that Mike was right and McManus wrong.

Nope. Rule 6.1, last paragraph: "No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain." The Canucks can call Luongo whatever they like, but he cannot wear the C or deal with referees during the games.

Nope. Rule 6.1, last paragraph: "No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain." The Canucks can call Luongo whatever they like, but he cannot wear the C or deal with referees during the games.

Its semantics. The Canuck players know that Luongo is their captain and leader although he cannot have the same responsibilities as a regular on ice captain. In essence that is all Mike was suggesting Hasek was. Vancouver was just a little more progressive in their thinking then the average NHL team.

Also, I am pretty sure, but admit I may be wrong, that the NHL does recognize Luongo as the captain.

Hmm. Why tell us this? Where's the "mike" here? Where's the "mike" in general? What "mike"? How do you know what is happening when this "mike" is turned off?

Just asking....

Edit: Oh, and what does "the number one talk show in the area" have to do with this? Why do we care about offers Schop has had, and how do you know that he has gotten them?

Again, just asking.....

Hmm. Why tell us this? Where's the "mike" here? Where's the "mike" in general? What "mike"? How do you know what is happening when this "mike" is turned off?

Just asking....

Edit: Oh, and what does "the number one talk show in the area" have to do with this? Why do we care about offers Schop has had, and how do you know that he has gotten them?

Again, just asking.....

Just calling out a ridiculous post. Whenever anybody qualifies a post or a phone call for that matter with "I usually defend this" or "I've always been a fan of but" you know where its heading. We have now spent how much time discussing a statement which obviously never occurred.

He said, "I didn't grow up here rooting for the Bills."

I'm assuming you can understand how I mistook that. It actually is not even the point of what I said. Whether or not he actually grew up here or not has little to do with what he said on the air.

Don't know what you meant by that last statement, but nice try.

Just calling out a ridiculous post. Whenever anybody qualifies a post or a phone call for that matter with "I usually defend this" or "I've always been a fan of but" you know where its heading. We have now spent how much time discussing a statement which obviously never occurred.

To quote Braveheart: Answer the fing question(s). This is a message board, we obviously have the time....

Edit: and what does the bolded part mean? I don't think we qualify phone calls here. I know we are free to do tech work on this site, but I haven't heard of anybody working on VOIP.

Just asking....

Again, just asking.....

Where there's smoke, there's fire... :lol:

I remember a few years ago Shopp was disgusted with hockey. It was during the playoffs and he made a comment that he hadn't been watching any of the games. He's so cool. So I sent him an email and said, "hey, isn't it your job to watch the games and discuss them and know what you're talking about?" Why would this guy choose this profession? I live in the Boston area, and listen to one show, Dale and Holly, and these guys know their teams. All four of them, and college. Anyways, the following day after I sent the Shopp the email he said he was going to start watching the playoffs. Glad I could help him get back on track. Guess he fell of the wagon.

To quote Braveheart: Answer the fing question(s). This is a message board, we obviously have the time....

Edit: and what does the bolded part mean? I don't think we qualify phone calls here. I know we are free to do tech work on this site, but I haven't heard of anybody working on VOIP.

I did answer the question.