Riskiest move

The Buffalo Bills traded Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters a week before the draft and didn't select a tackle.

You can look at this three ways: 1) the Bills are confident veteran Langston Walker and second-year project Demetrius Bell can handle the tackle positions; 2) they might be working on a trade for someone like Levi Jones after the Cincinnati Bengals drafted Andre Smith; or 3) Buffalo's front office doesn't know what it's doing.

Buffalo went with Penn State defensive end Aaron Maybin, Louisville center Eric Wood, Oregon defensive back Jairus Byrd, Oregon State guard Andy Levitre, Southern Miss tight end Shawn Nelson, Oklahoma linebacker/safety Nic Harris, Southern California cornerback Cary Harris and West Virginia cornerback Ellis Lankster.

Maybin and Wood can easily be justified as first-round choices. But the Bills are adding a variable to Wood's future by moving him to guard after he started 49 straight games as Louisville's center.

What's with all the defensive backs?

The Bills seemed to have their secondary penciled out heading into the draft: Terrence McGee and Leodis McKelvin or Drayton Florence at cornerback and Donte Whitner, Bryan Scott and George Wilson at safety.

McKelvin was the 11th player chosen overall last year. He is expected to step in for Jabari Greer, a free agent who went to the New Orleans Saints. The Bills brought in Florence for help. Ashton Youboty and Reggie Corner also are on the roster.

Whitner was the eighth overall pick in 2006.

Within the next nine picks after the Bills selected Levitre, three tackles went off the board. The Minnesota Vikings took Oklahoma's Phil Loadholt. The New England Patriots drafted Houston's Sebastian Vollmer. The New York Giants chose Connecticut's Will Beatty.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast

Somehow I just don't visualize the O line being even close to what it was last year. TE had better learn to get that ball out of his hands by 2.5-3 seconds or he will be dust. DJ seemed really happy with Buffalo's draft...

Bottom Line: Picked up some solid players, but their inability to find a left tackle to replace Peters could have terrible consequences for the offense.Grade: C+ http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform...aspx?id=4228706

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be noted that Tim Graham wrote this. I don't really agree with this article at all. Adding a 2nd or 3rd round tackle all of a sudden erases our tackle problems? Really? If we drafted Beatty in the 2nd, there's a great chance he wouldn't be starting over the more experienced Chambers anyway. I'm glad we went interior line, as it's easier for them to come in and contribute right away.

It should be noted that Tim Graham wrote this. I don't really agree with this article at all. Adding a 2nd or 3rd round tackle all of a sudden erases our tackle problems? Really? If we drafted Beatty in the 2nd, there's a great chance he wouldn't be starting over the more experienced Chambers anyway. I'm glad we went interior line, as it's easier for them to come in and contribute right away.

Analysis: Pass rusher was undoubtedly the Bills' biggest need before they dealt Jason Peters, at which time it was thought that Buffalo would select the best offensive tackle on the board. Instead, Buffalo passed over Ole Miss' Michael Oher to take Maybin, who is a bit undersized but has good pass-rushing instincts. Then, at No. 28, the Bills again ignored the likes of Arizona's Eben Britton to select Wood, an interior lineman who few rated as a first- round talent. http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform...aspx?id=4228706

I think most everyone else on the planet would agree(other then Bills Fans) that after trading away the Bills best offensive lineman at the most important position on the line would have been the highest priority in the draft.

But then... you have a defensive minded HC and a 2nd year OC and line coach who obviously are clueless to how important that LT position is in protecting the injury prone QB.

My take is Jauron is really trying to get himself fired before his contract is up, will he still shoulder all the blame when Trent Edwards is on injured reserve?

But then... you have a defensive minded HC and a 2nd year OC and line coach who obviously are clueless to how important that LT position is in protecting the injury prone QB.

Right, and Jason Peters wasn't any good at it. I don't care what hype surrounds this guy, I watched all the games, and he either flat sucked or was mediocre. We got some very good picks to fill some of our more glaring needs, and everyone is still whining about this guy.

The Bills seemed to have their secondary penciled out heading into the draft: Terrence McGee and Leodis McKelvin or Drayton Florence at cornerback and Donte Whitner, Bryan Scott and George Wilson at safety.

McKelvin was the 11th player chosen overall last year. He is expected to step in for Jabari Greer, a free agent who went to the New Orleans Saints. The Bills brought in Florence for help. Ashton Youboty and Reggie Corner also are on the roster.

Whitner was the eighth overall pick in 2006.

I wondered the exact same thing during the draft I understand all of the picks up til Cary Harris and Ellis Lankster. Those two picks should have been a DT and OT not necessarily in that order. At the end of the draft a team should definitely be drafting for need. Those two guys will have a very hard time making the roster. An OT and DT would have a much better chance of making the roster. Even if the Bills are happy with the OT's they have they could use some depth and/or guys to develop on the PS. When the UDFA frenzy starts there is no guarantee that the Bills will be able to get the guys they really want at those positions. I find it hard to believe that when the sixth and seventh round start that there are guys who are significantly rated higher than other players on the board and so the drafting the best player on the board idea is pretty insignificant.

In actuality the Bills only selected three DB's because Nic Harris will be converted to LB. The pick of Byrd is a great pick IMO because he'll be a safety and that's a position that's a bit thin for the Bills. I can't defend the last two picks.

As for Wood starting at LG instead of center that hasn't been chiseled in stone yet. It's just until TC when they can get a good look at the kid and see if he's ready to be a center at this level yet. He's played guard before so it's not a huge leap for him. I don't think Levitre is built to be a tackle and so I'm guessing they'll use him at guard but then that displaces Butler. So I don't know what the plan with him is. I guess they feel he can outperform Butler.

The OT's are something the fans are in the dark about. Bell has one year and was playing behind a pro bowl LT. He didn't get into any games. When Peters missed the last two games of the year he wasn't used so it's a head scratcher because Jauron isn't one to start rookies so he could be a second year starter. Oy vey it gets complicated. I guess we'll have to wait till the pre-season games start to see the starting OL lineup.

Analysis: Pass rusher was undoubtedly the Bills' biggest need before they dealt Jason Peters, at which time it was thought that Buffalo would select the best offensive tackle on the board. Instead, Buffalo passed over Ole Miss' Michael Oher to take Maybin, who is a bit undersized but has good pass-rushing instincts. Then, at No. 28, the Bills again ignored the likes of Arizona's Eben Britton to select Wood, an interior lineman who few rated as a first- round talent. http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform...aspx?id=4228706

I think most everyone else on the planet would agree(other then Bills Fans) that after trading away the Bills best offensive lineman at the most important position on the line would have been the highest priority in the draft.

My take is Jauron is really trying to get himself fired before his contract is up, will he still shoulder all the blame when Trent Edwards is on injured reserve?

Yeah, this is probably right.

It couldn't have been that the rest of the tackles were rated below the choices that we had on our board, which is how the Bills run their draft (no secret there). Or that they are comfortable with Walker at LT, where he practiced last offseason and started while Peters was out. Or with Chambers, who stepped in and played last year in all 16 games, starting 2 at LT. Or with Bell, who the coaching staff is high on, and people like you and I know absolutely nothing about. Or any combination of the 3.

You're right, it is probably a self detonated grenade so that he can leave and coach elsewhere.

I think the funny thing about this is that the Bills were 5-1 without Peters in the game.

Peters only missed the opener and the last two games last season.

Peters only missed the opener and the last two games last season.

I thought it was the first two games. But even so if it was only the first game, and the last two then the Bills were 2-1 w/o Peters last year and 5-8 with him. Now i understand that is an over simplification of the facts, but i really like what the Bills did yesterday. And i believe the oline will be one of the strengths of this team for years.

a dominant interior Oline makes your tackles much better.

a dominant LT doesnt do squat for your interior Oline.

pretty simple. see: Cardinals last year.

plus the Bills play against a lot of 3-4. It's much better for us to have a dominant middle and serviceable tackles than good tackles and pudding in the middle.

most overrated Offensive position: LT

most underrated: Center

This is the most overblown story in the league. Even without Peters, the interior line is where the biggest problem was last year and that was addressed along with the pass rusher and TE. OT was NOT the biggest need for the Bills.

They have other tackles on the roster who appear to be capable and it's worth giving them a shot as part of an overall improved line. What's the worst that could happen -- 11.5 sacks and several complete jailbreaks on the QB, one of which directly cost the Bills a division game?

Is it possible that the Bills were staying true to their board?

"We went into the draft having discussed [offensive tackle] after the trade of Jason," Jauron said. "We said, "Do we feel like we have to have a tackle?' And I think we all agreed that we're not going to stray far from our grades just to draft a tackle.

"We felt like we have guys who can play there, so there's no sense in passing up a player we think is significantly better at another position just to feel like we plugged a number. We weren't going to do that."

I for one, on paper, am very happy with this draft :thumbsup:

Actually no, that's an unofficial stat. But you did spell his name correctly.

Ok, so what is the true number for him? Either way it doesn't matter the guy wanted out. He sat out for a tremendous amount of time last year, he was poised to do that again. Why have a cancer like that on the team... and why cry about it when he's gone. I say thank god he's gone. And yes, I spelled his name correctly.