Round 1, Pick 11: AARON MAYBIN, DE, Penn State

I was never a fan of the pick but I was rooting like crazy for him. However, I highly doubt the fans who said Maybin would be a good player would have bumped this thread if he had succeed. I have no problems with different opinions. But it's pathetic to me that people would rather be right on a message board than see the Bills succeed.

I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised to see the draft thread of any TBD-era player bumped if he had some sort of major positive milestone. Certainly if one made the Hall of Fame

Look up the definition of "should" and get back to me...

OTOH, if John wanted to do that in his free time, as a matter of choice - then that is a different discussion.

SDS I should probably edit that a bit

Of course its the bills who need to be making the correct picks....I just pride myself on being a semi intelligent fan especially when it comes to the offensive and defensive lines.

I was very happy when Maybin was taken....

Leaving aside the question of whom the Bills should have drafted, the bolded section here intrigues me. Were you just sitting around with a handful of **** while watching the draft? Stocking up for future punchbowls or something?

I was thinkingnthe same thing - or did he go into the bathroom, take a dump - THEN fish it out of the toilet. And then, where did he throw it - up against the bathroom wall, on the floor, or at the TV perhaps. So many unanswered questions.

SDS I should probably edit that a bit

Of course its the bills who need to be making the correct picks....I just pride myself on being a semi intelligent fan especially when it comes to the offensive and defensive lines.

I was very happy when Maybin was taken....

When was the last time you were unhappy with a Bills pick?

Just saying that the head of the scouting department probably had some say in who the first round draft pick is going to be. If he hated the pick and figured Maybin was juiced at the combine, no doubt he would have said so in no uncertain terms. If his opinion carried any weight (I mean he did just draft all those Pro Bowlers in SD, right?), they wouldn't have made that pick.

Since I cannot believe they would ignore the loud objections of a guy who had such success at picking talent in SD (where he was Asst GM), it is my opinion that he was at least somewhat complicit in the pick.

One would think that, wouldn't they? What is irreconcilable with that vision is the thought of Nix being complicit in the choice of a guy who is the antithesis of everything Nix likes in a football player.

Notice that everyone who was in that room BUT Nix is gone, and even Brandon is back selling tickets? I think Ralph, and maybe even Brandon, learned a valuable lesson that day.

By the way - Nix wasn't the head of the scouting Department - he was the National Scout. There are at least two positions within the scouting department alone above the national scout, and one or two people more between them and the GM. Hell, do we even know whether Nix was in the room? Maybe he wasn't!

Check out this link of front office people. my link. That's a lot of people, and he is pretty far down the chain of command.

Edited by Erik Flowers

I was thinkingnthe same thing - or did he go into the bathroom, take a dump - THEN fish it out of the toilet. And then, where did he throw it - up against the bathroom wall, on the floor, or at the TV perhaps. So many unanswered questions.

All of this, of course, is a reminder that people should be careful when they say they "literally" did something. Since that means you, literally, did it.....

He just looks undersized to me...I don't know, I will trust the experts at 1 Bills Drive...they usually get it right...

This is my favorite of the 2009 posts. Yes, I know the poster is being sarcastic . . . at least I hope he is.

Erik Flowers issue was motivation not phyical attributes. The draft is filled with people of like size and builds. The NFL is all about heart, and will power. It has nothing to do with physcial attributes. HOw many people who are considered undersized excell or guys who have all the physical attributes but bust.

I don't know anything about this guy to be honest. I saw a few highlight reels. HOwever he has to be a upgrade over Ellison who can't rush the passer at all. It was a position that needed to be filled so I like it.

People also need to consider Kelsey. By reports they tried to trade him but it looks like there weren't any takers. The DE position is packed why add another DE who can't play LB. The Bills play a 4-3 defense. They need someone who can cover a large section of the field.

This is my favorite.

before or after I saw them play

I mean that immediately after every draft I have never seen you speak in less than glowing terms about every pick the Bills have made. Have you ever criticized a pick?

I was at a draft/poker party for Bills fans when Maybin was picked. Everyone was stunned and sickened by the pick. Even his highlight real showed him getting dominated when he wasn't playing second tier teams.

I think they knew he was juicing, they just didn't expect him to stop when he turned pro.

I find it hard to believe that they don't know a juicer when they see one (they are surrounded by them everyday at work). It's everywhere in the NFL.

Whether they KNEW it or not at the time, it's clear that Maybin's light weight was a topic of discussion. In this link Nix states (at around :50) that Maybin explained "his metabolism" prevented him from maintaining weight. So obviously they discussed it with him at least once, trying to get an explanation. Maybe they were trying to get him to admit he juiced so they could sue for fraud!

All of this, of course, is a reminder that people should be careful when they say they "literally" did something. Since that means you, literally, did it.....

Of all the interesting twists that the english language has taken recently, it intrigues me the most how the word "literally" has actually come to mean the exact opposite (figuratively) of its definition.

I had a product rep tell me once that his company "literally slaughtered their competition". I told him that he might me taking this work thing a little to seriously. He didn't get it.

Edited by vincec

Of all the interesting twists that the english language has taken recently, it intrigues me the most how the word "literally" has actually come to mean the exact opposite (figuratively) as it is defined.

I had a product rep tell me once that his company "literally slaughtered their competition". I told him that he might me taking this work thing a little to seriously. He didn't get it.

Excellent point vince. It is quite amusing how that transformation has taken place and how few people realize how silly it makes them sound. "Literally" is now just used as some kind of flavoring adverb... rather how people use "really" for the same purpose, even though it is often problematic.