Russ on ESPN: We are comfortable with Walker @ LT / Bell @ RT...

SKOOBY

Sounds just like when the team said they were "perfectly comfortable" with Anthony Thomas as their starting RB...then they picked Marshawn Lynch at No. 11.

I'm not saying they'll take an OT at 11, but I bet they take one on day 1.

Or when he said a few days before the Peters trade that Peters was still in their future...

I hope so...those 2 at tackles makes me cringe..

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Union was dead on with his comments. A pick of OT at 11 makes no sense. I don't like it at 28 either, then you just look cheap and not concerned with winning because you've traded an established semi-star in Peters for an inferior unknown who is cheaper and a 4th and 6th. If Beatty or Britton are still there with our 2nd rd pick, go for it. Fix the D in the first round: DE and LB.

Russ brandon say's "we are comfortable with walker at LT and bell at RT" They believe they struck gold twice (peters undrafted FA/Bell 7th rounder. By the start of the 2010 season I think they believe bell is there man of the future at LT and walker will be moved back to RT.

Just a FYI.

I'm glad Russ is comfortable, however i do not feel the same way. I think the line is going to struggle as usual. Bell might be great but the interior of the line is a mess...not looking good.

I believe they are more content with their OT's than their DE's. An average offensive line and a really solid defensive line (NY Giants Super Bowl) does better than the reverse. And, I think the depth at O-line is much better than at DE. I'd be surprised if they didn't go DE with their first pick. I also think they are going to try to mimick what and how the Giants did against New England in the Super Bowl as a strategy for beating them.

I like what I hear, although I'd keep Walker at RT and play Bell at LT and let him start learning NOW! And Walker won't hold-out if he starts at LT (and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he also gets a raise for playing LT, like Peters had in his previous contract with the Bills). That's the difference between him and Peters.

I am personally of the belief that the Bills should NOT attempt to draft an LT with pick 11. I feel like it would completely void the benefit of trading Peters. The Bills have internal solutions to the problems at LT and RT, they have no solutions to the problems at DE, OLB, and TE (I know, I know, Schobel is coming back what are you talking about. But, I don't view that as a solution since his foot is potentially screwed up for the long term).

If we draft an LT, I think that poses two problems for the Bills. 1) They essentially traded their top LT (lazy he might have been) for the 28th pick, only to replace the aforementioned LT with a lesser player. Thus, the Bills essentially went from having the number 11 pick, to having the 28th pick. 2) There are no LT's worth taking at 11. I don't think Oher is worth it and Smith worries me too much.

Regarding Brandon's comments. I think that it is clearly a smokescreen, but only in the sense that he HAS to smokescreen. Everyone in the world thinks that the Bills are taking an LT at 11 after trading Peters. I don't think the Bills will do it, solely because of what I just mentioned, but regardless, Brandon has to make it clear that they are not sold on an LT.

IMO, I think the Bills will draft a DE or a surprise pick in Pettigrew. Though all the mocks have the Bills going LT, why would the Bills front office want to handicap themselves with a pick only a week before the draft? I imagine that their goal is to keep the same mindset after the Peters trade, as they had before the trade. I wouldn't be surprised if they target someone like Alex Mack instead of one of the DE's, and hope he falls to them at 28.

That is great rational. Maybe, however, could it be possible that there is an OT that may be there with the 11th pick that the Bills FO grade out higher than Peters?

With that said, I think the Bills select Pettigrew with their first pick and Alex Mack with the #28. They will get the #1 player at their respective positions in the draft, plus help sure up the line a little bit.

I'm actually very happy about this. I hope the Bills add playmakers to the team first and foremost.

Offensive weapons can MAKE OL's better too, a very overlooked fact of football.

Go LB/DE first, maybe trade up for Pettrigrew late 1st...and draft a C in the 2nd or 3rd

smells like an attempted smokescreen

it better be a smoke screen. If this organization blatantly ignores the OL yet again early in this draft it will just guarentee that this team misses the playoffs for a few more years.

With that said, I think the Bills select Pettigrew with their first pick and Alex Mack with the #28. They will get the #1 player at their respective positions in the draft, plus help sure up the line a little bit.

Great point :thumbsup:

Russ brandon say's "we are comfortable with walker at LT and bell at RT" They believe they struck gold twice (peters undrafted FA/Bell 7th rounder. By the start of the 2010 season I think they believe bell is there man of the future at LT and walker will be moved back to RT.

Just a FYI.

What program was he on? What else did he say?

You know one thing that I have been thinking about in the past week since the Peters trade? Peters admitted that he came into the season out of shape and that it took him 4 games or so to get back into playing shape. The Bills were 4-0 in those games -- and we know how well they did afterward.

Irony? Perhaps. But I suspect that the team was doing unique things in those first few weeks (including Week 1 when Peters didn't play and Week 2 when he played part time) to help compensate for his being out-of-shape or missing. Note also that in those final two games of the regular season when Peters was out, the team had one of their best offensive games against Denver -- and led the way for Jackson to rush for well over 100 yards against the Pats in brutal weather conditions in the season finale.

I think the team needs some depth at OT certainly, but I don't know that they need to panic themselves into drafting one in the first round, if the "value" isn't there.