Steeler Source says trade for Bills wide receiver Parrish

SKOOBY

The reason the deal would be logical, is twofold. First he is a proven wide receiver, (something the team needs with the loss of Nate Washington) but of more importance is what he can do as a return man.

Parrish not only is good, he has been the best the past two years. He led the NFL with a 16.3-yard average in 2007 and a 15.3-yard average in 2008 on punts. He also has reached the endzone and the past three seasons has scored on returns. Parrish also has a career mark of 23.7 on kickoffs.

Buffalo selected Parrish in the second round of the 2005 draft with the 55th pick. He has six starts in four seasons, catching 97 passes for 1,052 yards and five touchdowns.

If there is a downside, it’s he stands just 5-foot-9, 168 pounds, not exactly the wanted size of a starting receiver in the NFL. His career average per catch is just over ten yards

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-...ceiver-possible

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason the deal would be logical, is twofold. First he is a proven wide receiver, (something the team needs with the loss of Nate Washington) but of more importance is what he can do as a return man.

Parrish not only is good, he has been the best the past two years. He led the NFL with a 16.3-yard average in 2007 and a 15.3-yard average in 2008 on punts. He also has reached the endzone and the past three seasons has scored on returns. Parrish also has a career mark of 23.7 on kickoffs.

Buffalo selected Parrish in the second round of the 2005 draft with the 55th pick. He has six starts in four seasons, catching 97 passes for 1,052 yards and five touchdowns.

If there is a downside, it’s he stands just 5-foot-9, 168 pounds, not exactly the wanted size of a starting receiver in the NFL. His career average per catch is just over ten yards

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-...ceiver-possible

Skooby, I must admit that you are on top of your game digging up info here the last couple of days :rolleyes:

Who would have thought that Roscoe would have this many potential suitors?

Good job digging up the dirt there Skoobs.

who would have thought skooby provided a real link with some information? interesting... get what you can for him.

So far it looks like Pitt, Indy, NYG, Jax, Clev, and Wash are all interested.

Yeah, ALL of those teams are interested in this TERRIBLE WR according to posters on this board. I still do not understand why so many people on this board are HAPPY to give Parrish away for a low round pick. He is worth KEEPING for his return skills alone.

Let's see how badly the Bills get fleeced on this trade---Philly already fleeced them pretty good by the Bills inexplicably allowing them to give them their 28th pick in the 1st round instead of their 21st...

Anything less than a 3rd rounder and I think the Bills got fleeced again---punt returners like Parrish that force teams to literally change the way they punt to you don't just grow on trees. When a team forces their punter to either kick very high and short, kick low so it rolls on the ground, or force him to kick out of bounds to avoid Parrish returning the punt, you automatically are gaining more field position on top of what he provides to you on the returns....players that cause that type of fear in other teams just don't grow on trees, and for the Bills to basically be looking to give him away for a 5th rounder, if those reports are true, just shows how clueless they are...

Yeah, ALL of those teams are interested in this TERRIBLE WR according to posters on this board. I still do not understand why so many people on this board are HAPPY to give Parrish away for a low round pick. He is worth KEEPING for his return skills alone.

It may be that Parrish is telling Coaches and the Front Office that he wants to be a Wide Receiver not a punt returner. Maybe the Bills are trying to make this trade before Parrish's agent takes it to the media creating yet another distraction. We all know how popular disgruntled employees are on this board. The man is not going to beat out Reed, Hardy, or more than likely Johnson for playing time. And if it is true that he does not want to return punts for us anymore, then we must shed him and get some picks....

Just a theory!

He is a terrible WR, but he's also an elite return man.

I agree that Parrish has been a top return man for us, but it's also worth mentioning that pretty much all of our returners since 2004 have done very well. For example, last year, Fred Jackson's avg gain per punt return was 1 yard better than Parrish. I think it's a credit to our Special Teams coaching / blocking, and I'd be surprised if you see a big drop off with McKelvin or someone else back there this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/stats?team=buf#return

As a WR, for whatever reason, they just don't seem to be getting him the ball enough for him to really make a difference on offense, whether that's coaching, or his inability to get open I don't know.

Also, remember he had a DUI last year, maybe the Bills are concerned that he hasn't made enough of a lifestyle change and are worried about losing him to a suspension. (Pure speculation on my part, but given the current environment, it wouldn't surprise me.)

when will you understand we have 2 returners as good or better than roscoe? Leodis was THE top returner in all of college ball. why would you hold onto someone you are paying multi millions to when you can get a 4th round pick and use that money towards someone else that can contribute? say throwing it to fred jackson instead? wouldn't you rather give Roscoe's money to Fast Freddie AND still have the top returner on this team (mckelvin) back there?

stop looking at roscoe for more than he is - he is donte hall and he will fade away just like dante hall did. he just doesn;t have the size to do anything BUT return punts and kick offs, even though he is phenomenal at that. i love the guy, but with the bills being a small market, you trim from an area of access and you get what you can for him since he is expendable.

Let's see how badly the Bills get fleeced on this trade---Philly already fleeced them pretty good by the Bills inexplicably allowing them to give them their 28th pick in the 1st round instead of their 21st...

Anything less than a 3rd rounder and I think the Bills got fleeced again---punt returners like Parrish that force teams to literally change the way they punt to you don't just grow on trees. When a team forces their punter to either kick very high and short, kick low so it rolls on the ground, or force him to kick out of bounds to avoid Parrish returning the punt, you automatically are gaining more field position on top of what he provides to you on the returns....players that cause that type of fear in other teams just don't grow on trees, and for the Bills to basically be looking to give him away for a 5th rounder, if those reports are true, just shows how clueless they are...

"fleeced" ?

you are another uneducated blogger. the difference in talent between 21 and 28 is almost nothing. the difference in contracts is significant. Why do you think NE took ONLY a low, low 2nd rounder for Cassell when they could have got a 1st? because the talent varies so little in that area but the money is SIGNIFICANTLY different. take the 28 pick and save more cash to extend guys like stroud and jackson. thats what the best teams in the league have been doing for awhile...

and EVERYONE on this board keeps forgetting we have a GREAT returner instead of roscoe when we trade him. Leodis is phenomenal and McGee is pretty good too if you remember.... stop thinking we are giving him away when we are getting something in return, something we need, which is hopefully more talented linemen. now if we only had a front office that could evaluate football talent to utilize those draft picks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBZppozX2WE

IM sorry but as I have said before...

how do you get better by getting rid of the best punt returner in the league???

for a draft pick? it better be at least a 3rd rounder anything less and the bills will have screwed...again

Philly got the better of the trade as I see it.

Dont let it happen please

Trading Parrish would be an excellent move. Buffalo has an abundance of good WRs. With Owens coming into the field, Steve Johnson emerging, Hardy entering his second year, Josh Reed having excellent hands and fantastic blocking abilities, McKelvin showing promise at returning, and McGee having experience as a return guy, there is absolutely no way anyone can ever think that getting value for a player in a crowded position is a bad idea.

There is no way all those WRs make the team, and it makes sense to get value when you can. Why would getting value for a player who isn't a great WR stupid? It isn't. It's smart.

It's actually pretty easy to see what the Bills are doing here--dumping $3 million in salary this year for a guy who touches the ball maybe 4-5 times a game (considering at least one or two punts won't be returnable) at most and hopefully spending that money on someone else who plays more than Roscoe does (my vote still goes to sign an OLB for that money like Brooks or Keiaho) and also getting a draft pick in return. Pretty simple, actually, and I can't say that I disagree--particularly reading the posts above about Jackson and McKelvin.

i just think that the Bills are looking closely at ALL of their players "VALUE" related to talent/productivity/Cap hit. i would expect to see many current players CUT who are underpeforming or overpaid ( i.e Kelsay, Schoebel & Roscoe, Ko Simpson). Hopefully this will lead to spending to the max on new Free Agents and current players worth locking up longer.

Where did you hear about these other teams having interest in Parrish? Do you have any other information?

I just briefly googled Roscoe Parrish + trade and these were the teams that came up. How accurate is any of it? You're guess is as good as mine. I'm sure a lot of it is just message board speculation.