Whitner has been charged

Thanks for the quick update, jw.

I still doubt much comes out of this, but Donte probably needs to keep his temper down and mouth shut a little more. The cops probably didn't like the lawsuit comment too much. It may have been wiser to keep that to himself before actual charges were brought.

Police: Charges filed against Bills' Whitner

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_12132919

oops, not sure how this all works, but this is where the story moved. hope this works.

jw

No surprise as to charges.

You generally are acting up big time before you get tased, because in most jurisdictions that's a discharge of a weapon, which draws statutory review. Few police officers, on duty or not, do so unless concerns for their own safety and that of others rapidly develop.

One of the articles I read said he was trying to break through the police line while the fight was going on. The police asked him why he needed to get in there he said;

"My cousin's out there, and they've got guns," according to a police report, Stacho said. Linkage

I think that's a lot different than him just being disorderly. He was trying to help his cousin. I think a lot of us would try to do the same thing.

Here's the ESPN link for those who care (or are lazy :devil:).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4064961

Thanks for the link, but FWIW, that's the same AP story from Mr. Wawrow's original post. (So the lazy people don't need to click on it twice. <_< )

Edit: Never mind. Tim added some extra info in an update.

Feh. This is much ado about nothing, and I fully expect the charges to be dropped without incident.

There is no way they are going to drop the charges. That would be saying they tased him for no reason. The charges are what justify the act of tasing him. If Dante is serious about filing a lawsuit, I would bet there will probably be additional charges. He'd do well to just let this rest and take whatever punishment comes to him.

I'm sure Dante was being an idiot and deserved what he got. Common sense says at 3:00 AM, after a buddy's b-day party, Dante was probably hammered and being a meathead moron.

There is no way they are going to drop the charges. That would be saying they tased him for no reason. The charges are what justify the act of tasing him. If Dante is serious about filing a lawsuit, I would bet there will probably be additional charges. He'd do well to just let this rest and take whatever punishment comes to him.

I'm sure Dante was being an idiot and deserved what he got. Common sense says at 3:00 AM, after a buddy's b-day party, Dante was probably hammered and being a meathead moron.

apparently you havent dealed much with the law, but charges get dropped all the time

One of the articles I read said he was trying to break through the police line while the fight was going on. The police asked him why he needed to get in there he said;

"My cousin's out there, and they've got guns," according to a police report, Stacho said. Linkage

I think that's a lot different than him just being disorderly. He was trying to help his cousin. I think a lot of us would try to do the same thing.

I don't know... seems to me that in basic they teach you to get your ass down when the other team is/may be shooting live rounds at you. And trying to fight the guys telling you to take cover seems as disorderly as it does stupid.

I don't know... seems to me that in basic they teach you to get your ass down when the other team is/may be shooting live rounds at you. And trying to fight the guys telling you to take cover seems as disorderly as it does stupid.

Did Donte get Basic Training somewhere?

I have "dealed much with the law", and Dante will be dropped by the Bills before the charges are.

"aggravated disorderly conduct" is very hard for the prosecuter to prove. it is almost a dead end. it is an easy arrest, but not to convict. the term "aggravated disorderly conduct" is very a vague term.

as for resisting arrest, i am sure they have better things to do. Hell i know ppl who have had worse charges dropped. And they only had a cheap lawyer. what the hell do you think a high priced lawyer is going to do?

Ya... Logic doesn't come into play many times. :devil: Same thing with people jumping in first to save people from drowning, little boats heading far out to sea ill-prepared... Or whatever crazy things people do illogically.

Ya... Logic doesn't come into play many times. :devil: Same thing with people jumping in first to save people from drowning, little boats heading far out to sea ill-prepared... Or whatever crazy things people do illogically.

Yeah, I know. I was commenting on the suggestion that "anyone" would jump a police line to enter a shooting gallery on the pretext that someone they knew may be in the field of fire to help. Some people might just yell, "Gun! Get the fug down!"

The cops did him a favor by preventing him from picking up a DUI that night.

Oh wait, Bills players out at bars til 3 am don't drink hardly at all, if at all. I forgot that bit of scripture in the Bills SuperFan Handbook.

Sorry comrades.

Oh wait, Bills players out at bars til 3 am don't drink hardly at all, if at all. I forgot that bit of scripture in the Bills SuperFan Handbook.

Sorry comrades.

Do you know for a fact he didn't have a driver? Or wasn't riding with someone sober?

Your sources are amazing.

Sorry comrades.

Hey... Remember last time we had "bickering Bills?" I do... They went to the SB mutiple time.

:devil:

No surprise as to charges.

You generally are acting up big time before you get tased, because in most jurisdictions that's a discharge of a weapon, which draws statutory review. Few police officers, on duty or not, do so unless concerns for their own safety and that of others rapidly develop.

Well they tased a five year old girl in Florida because she was acting up in school - in Oakland the cop merely wanted to tase the guy cuffed lying on his stomach and oops he shot him- and review- please!!- unless a cop makes a mistake with someone with clout, he's golden.

"aggravated disorderly conduct" is very hard for the prosecuter to prove. it is almost a dead end. it is an easy arrest, but not to convict. the term "aggravated disorderly conduct" is very a vague term.

as for resisting arrest, i am sure they have better things to do. Hell i know ppl who have had worse charges dropped. And they only had a cheap lawyer. what the hell do you think a high priced lawyer is going to do?

Hunh? Ohio Rev.Code § 2917.11(A) and Ohio Rev.Code § 2917.11(E)(3) define the terms in a court of law. Why would fighting in the presence of a police officer be "very hard" to prosecute?

Do you know for a fact he didn't have a driver? Or wasn't riding with someone sober?

Your sources are amazing.

You're right----that was Lynch sitting behind the wheel of the idling Bentley, patiently awaiting his Bills Team Captain.

What happened to "Charges dropped. Next."?

Law suit.

hahahaha. That'll teach those racist cops.

Sorry, just going off of Tim Graham's earlier report. In any case, whether they're ultimately dropped or not, Sir Roger doesn't care about beating up women or DUI. Why should he care about aggravated disorderly conduct? Why should you, except to complain about another player on your alleged "favorite team?" :devil:

Sorry comrades.

No, they magically get drunk. With pixy dust. Because that's about as sane an explanation as Lynch getting drunk without anyone seeing him drink. :devil:

What happened to "Charges dropped. Next."?

I'll take the blame for that one.

A Cleveland officer told me Whitner had been released with no charges. That, plus the original Buffalo News report that he already had been charged led me to believe the charges were dropped, when, in fact, he hadn't been charged at all.

That one's on me.