Fred Jackson shows for conditioning

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/200...on-attends.html

Fred Jackson attends

Bills running back Fred Jackson, whose contract is up but who is tied to the Bills as an exclusive rights free agent, showed up for offseason conditioning work starting on Wednesday. Jackson had stayed away from the team's organized workout sessions the past several weeks while his representatives have talked to the Bills about a new long-term contract. There has been no progress of note in negotiations to this point, but Jackson is participating with his teammates.

---Mark Gaughan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe there has been some headway made in the situation and Jackson feels the organization is working on getting him a fair deal in his eyes. That could be the reason he's shown up as well, especially in light of the Lynch suspension being handed down. Pretty sure they reassured him that he will be fairly compensated.

I really like Fred Jackson. I like him so much that I'd be willing to trade Marshawn and make Jackson a starter.

Fred is 5 years older than Lynch. If we went with Jackson as the starter, at the most, he's likely got 4 good years left as a starting RB in this league. Lynch, on the other hand, likely has about 8 or 9 good years left.

I think it is very possible after Lee Evans last year, now Stroud, maybe he got the message that if you show up and be a team player, the Bills are more likely to work with you and increase your contract. I think it is "Spot On" on how an organization should do business. I haven't been a big fan over the past decade of the Bills FO but they are handling these cases just right.

I really like Fred Jackson. I like him so much that I'd be willing to trade Marshawn and make Jackson a starter.

That is plain silly. I don't think Fred Jackson is capable of taking the beating of being a full time starter, no do I think he has the elusivness needed to start. He is an excellent backup/change of pace back at best.

Actually, I'm not that worried about Lynch's suspension with Jackson being the starter, only concern

is the backup to him.

I hope he plays really well, and gives the Bills second thoughts on starting Lynch post suspension.

To tell you the truth, I'm not really sold on Lynch anyhow. Don't think he hits the hole fast enough,

and is too choppy of a runner, not smooth enough. If he could hit the hole on time, and smack the

defender like he does, run with more fluidity, no telling how good he can be. When he cuts and takes

those 1 to 2 choppy steps, that allows the D some time to recoup and drill him.

Don't really care that Jackson is older as long as he plays well. Lynch's style of taking hits will shorten

his career anyhow.

Fred is 5 years older than Lynch. If we went with Jackson as the starter, at the most, he's likely got 4 good years left as a starting RB in this league. Lynch, on the other hand, likely has about 8 or 9 good years left.

He has low mileage for a guy that age. Can we trust Marshawn? A hit and run, smoking weed and carrying illegal guns are signs for things to come. One more bone-headed move and he get's a one year suspension. Besides, RB's are real easy to come by.

That is plain silly. I don't think Fred Jackson is capable of taking the beating of being a full time starter, no do I think he has the elusivness needed to start. He is an excellent backup/change of pace back at best.

I agree, bring someone else in to share the load.

I am a strong believer that it isn't "age" that wears an athlete in general down, or an NFL player in particular, and especially an RB who is getting pounded, but rather the wear and tear on your body by getting abused by 200-350 pound maniacs trying to rip your head and limbs off in games. Fred Jackson at 28 who hasn't really played a full season of game football is just as likely to have 4-6 solid years remaining as a 25 year old. Granted, an RB may lose a step of speed when he gets in his 30s, but there is no reason to believe that Fred Jackson can not play 4-6 more years in this league at a top level even if he plays full time, which no one is asking him to.

Not to mention that the average career of an NFL RB is five years anyway, because of the pounding and injuries.

I love Fred Jackson, but a lot of guys look really good sharing the load but can't really carry it themselves (Kenny Davis, Ronnie Brown, Reggie Bush, etc.). IMO, F Jax would like very average as a full time back without Lynch to complement him.

I am a strong believer that it isn't "age" that wears an athlete in general down, or an NFL player in particular, and especially an RB who is getting pounded, but rather the wear and tear on your body by getting abused by 200-350 pound maniacs trying to rip your head and limbs off in games.

I don't know, Kelly. A 300-pound NFL Europe DT may only hit at 90% of the "Big Show" level, but that's still wear and tear. Young legs are the greatest asset a RB's can have and playing in the 'minor leagues' doesn't mitigate Father Time's relentless march...

I don't see GOOD RB's as being easy to come by and I see Lynch as a very talented young RB who is only going to get better. Do we have to be concerned with his off-the-field decisions? Yes. Hopefully the guy really has learned his lesson. Again I say, hopefully. Jackson could also be around for more than 4 years, but he will have lost a step. I just don't think we cut ties with one of the better young RB's in the league who plays with his kind of passion on the field. Guys who show the fight and heart like he, Lynch, does on the field aren't easy to come by at all.

I love Fred Jackson as a back-up just because of situations like these. I have every confidence he can adequately handle the load while Marshawn is out. That being said, while I believe he could be a legit starter on a lot of teams, I don't think we will ever see him in a pro bowl, and I don't think the Bills should even remotely consider getting rid of Marshawn. If he screws up again, that changes things, but right now we need to stick with him. But it's great news to hear Fred has shown up for workouts, I hope the Bills reward him properly now. It is a great opportunity to send a positive message to not only Jason Peters, but to any potential players that the Bills may want to pursue in the future. Way to go Fred! And TO too. Gotta like what we are seeing right now.

Maybe there has been some headway made in the situation and Jackson feels the organization is working on getting him a fair deal in his eyes. That could be the reason he's shown up as well, especially in light of the Lynch suspension being handed down. Pretty sure they reassured him that he will be fairly compensated.

Remind you of Evans and Stroud? :wub:

I don't know, Kelly. A 300-pound NFL Europe DT may only hit at 90% of the "Big Show" level, but that's still wear and tear. Young legs are the greatest asset a RB's can have and playing in the 'minor leagues' doesn't mitigate Father Time's relentless march...

As far as I know, he finished college at Coe (where he probably wasn't as abused as at a major school) in 2002. I don't think he played at all in 2003. He played 2004-2005 in an indoor league. And 2006 in Europe. For the last two years, he hasn't played all that much. Little in 2007 and maybe a third of a full year last year. I would argue that in total took off three years of wear and tear on his body compared to a guy who played 3-4 full time years of major college football and then jumped into the pros for a couple years as a starter like, say, Lynch.

Average career length for NFL running backs has more to do with the number of hits they take than chronologic age ... I doubt ML will last 8 or 9 years, at least based on his current running style (running over as many people as possible, and never "giving up"). It's why he's so good, and why we all like having him in the backfield - but also what will ultimately shorten his career in the NFL. I'll be surprised if he can keep that up for more than 4 years himself. I'm not saying Jackson will last longer ... only that at this point, they are probably "even" as far as career expectancy as a starter.