Where is NFL.com's Adam Schefter???

Adam Schefter has disappeared from NFL Network

What's up with Adam Schefter, alumnus of Bellmore Kennedy High and one of the NFL Network's most recognizable figures?

Schefter hasn't blogged on NFL.com since March 3, hasn't appeared on "Total Access" since March 6 and now is nowhere to be seen at the owners' meetings in California.

All Schefter would say about it Monday was this: "I’m under contract to NFL Network until the middle of August, and I’ve been very happy there and I’m hoping we can work things out."

Hmm. OK, so it appears there is a lack of an agreement on the financial terms of a contract extension. From what I have heard, this involves a quite substantial gap.

But why the mysterious disappearance from the network at the busiest time of the offseason?

The NFL Network's statement on this matter: "We are moving forward with the talented staff who will be on NFL Network and NFL.com during the 2009 season."

It's strange this is happening now, considering we're on the home stretch to the draft.

IIRC, Schefter was criticized either last year or 07 for giving draft pick results earlier than when they were announced. That's the only public criticism I've heard, although a myriad of things may happen behind closed doors.

Either way, it seems he has sources everywhere. Certainly an odd time for him to disappear. Perhaps NFLN is looking for someone else or downsizing.

If Schefter gets the boot from there ESPN would be wise to sign him immediate. Mort and Clayton are fountains of misinformation these days and Schefter is clearly tapped into the NFL scene.

Would he still be tapped in if Roger Goodell stopped signing his paycheck? I wonder.

And as whoever wrote the story you quoted earlier has already noted, this is apparently a contract dispute.

I met Adam at the 2006 draft, and he treated me quite well. I wish him nothing but the best, and I told him, at the time, his segment on NFL Network was the one I MOST looked forward to, so maybe I caused the problem.....he took my endorsement right to management!!

I don't get NFL Network anymore, but Schefter and Mayock were the two guys I always tuned in to see. I'd love to know what Schefter pulls in annually and how it compares to some of the other guys in the biz.

What?!? The guy can't take a vacation? I'm starting vacation after today, as I'm sure many are.

The guys' been spot on for years and carries himself well on camera. Given the other talking heads referenced in this thread, Shefter would be missed.

Happy Easter all!

Would he still be tapped in if Roger Goodell stopped signing his paycheck? I wonder.

And as whoever wrote the story you quoted earlier has already noted, this is apparently a contract dispute.

Lori's right. Looks like he's holding out. And when he leaves the NFLN, his "sources" (his boss and other NFL employees) will no longer feed him his "scoops".

If Schefter is indeed let go by NFL Network, it makes me wonder if any team would look at him for a Front Office or GM type position.

I remember reading Peter King's MMQB column a few weeks back, where he mentioned he though Schefter would make a terrific GM in the league one day...just a thought.

I hope he doesn't have three years remaining on his contract.

They just gave Rich Eisen* a new contract and he played it right; just show up every day, do your job, and the Network will take care of you.

Schefter should know better.

* I have no idea whether Eisen got a new deal. I just wanted to keep this thought going. I know some of you are sticklers for that. :blink:

If Schefter is indeed let go by NFL Network, it makes me wonder if any team would look at him for a Front Office or GM type position.

I remember reading Peter King's MMQB column a few weeks back, where he mentioned he though Schefter would make a terrific GM in the league one day...just a thought.

Interesting thought.

(And BTW, my first post came off sounding like I thought Schefter was getting scoops merely because he works for the NFL. Although that might give him a jump on certain stories, it's not the impression I intended. The guy was really good when he was at the Denver Post, before NFLN hired him.)

I hear he is refusing to participate in voluntary workouts and is working out somewhere on his own.

Seriously, Shefter is great and if he is gone, would be sorely missed. NFL network is pretty well run, but topheavy with former jocks.

Schefter's a good guy (i dont have any experience with his reporting prior to the NFLN), but one does really have to wonder if his sources will dry up if he breaks from the network.

My only complaint against him was the same as mentioned above; in the past few drafts on NFLN (much better coverage than the mother ship), Schefter would announce the draft pick just prior to the commish announcing it. I never liked that.