Bills were in serious discussions with Philly about Peters

Fingon

All those picks were high picks, so you actually proved a counter point to argument...OL in the first 2 rounds have had a lot of success in recent years and the percentages arent too bad of finding a good one the early rounds...

I'm also going to guess that, by now, there are lower picks from some of those drafts, doing just fine, as starters in the NFL.

I'll look into it tomorrow, if nobody has the data by then,

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, Smith said the Bills and Eagles, "were engaged in serious discussions", and said they may resume. Apparently they are not currently in discussions, or at least Smith did not infer that they were.

Ok, something needs to be said here. Are the majority of the people on this board clinically insane? You have a 2 time pro bowl left tackle on the team, who is under contract for 2 more freakin years and you want to trade him????

Did he deserve to go to the pro bowl last year? Maybe not. But I'm sick of seeing this stupid "sacks allowed" pseudo-stat that everyone has got their panties in a bunch over. You do realize that it is not an official stat kept by the NFL because it is way too ambiguous. And please don't forget that he was playing next to dockery the pylon who was atrocious this year. The only time I remember him getting burned legitimately was the Edwards fumble against jacksonville (his first game back). The JP fumble against the jets that everyone places on Peters was a perfectly timed CB blitz and would have been tough for anyone to stop. Not to mention JP held onto the ball way too long.

Facts:

1. He did not have nearly as bad a year as most people here believe

2. He is the Bills' most valuable player by a wide margin. Please don't argue this. Think of what everyone is throwing around as to what we could get for him and see if any other player on the roster could even come close to that

3. The most important factor...the team still has all the leverage here. He is under contract for two more years at a serious discount. It would be completely asinine to trade him

4. Me saying he is awesome doesn't mean much but does the fact Jason Taylor said that he's the toughest lineman he's faced mean anything??

5. He wants as much money as he can get. As fans this bothers us, but this is his life...it's important to note the distinction. Like most people, he wants to maximize his earning power.

6. Save the crap about how he should take a hometown discount because the bills took a chance on him. They did so because they saw he had talent and could potentially help their team. Give whoever pushed for him (Bobby April) a raise if anything, not punish Peters. It wasn't like it was done out of charity.

7. Him not attending training camp is being overblown quite a bit. I'll bet the nagging knee injury that never gets mentioned had more to do with him not being as dominant as the year before. He didn't even partake in the pro bowl because of it and that was about two months after he had shut it down for the year. It stands to reason that it was more serious than anyone let on.

8. As much as a lot of you hate him, he likes Buffalo. Said it himself after the game in Toronto how much they missed the fan support. Everyone else was being diplomatic except him. I appreciated that (and I'm from Toronto!).

9. Best thing for the Bills to do would be to pay him. Contracts are just going to keep going up. The most economical, however, would be to refuse to renegotiate and let him play for 2 years at his current salary (and he would play, that's almost a guarantee..no way he sits out the first 9 games or whatever the number is) and try to find another LT in the draft in the meantime.

I really hope this story about them shopping Peters is untrue. The front office can't afford to be this stupid, especially not this year with all the buzz they've generated. The Bills offense can be good this year but it will all unravel if Peters is gone.

Ok, something needs to be said here. Are the majority of the people on this board clinically insane? You have a 2 time pro bowl left tackle on the team, who is under contract for 2 more freakin years and you want to trade him????

Did he deserve to go to the pro bowl last year? Maybe not. But I'm sick of seeing this stupid "sacks allowed" pseudo-stat that everyone has got their panties in a bunch over. You do realize that it is not an official stat kept by the NFL because it is way too ambiguous. And please don't forget that he was playing next to dockery the pylon who was atrocious this year. The only time I remember him getting burned legitimately was the Edwards fumble against jacksonville (his first game back). The JP fumble against the jets that everyone places on Peters was a perfectly timed CB blitz and would have been tough for anyone to stop. Not to mention JP held onto the ball way too long.

Facts:

2. He is the Bills' most valuable player by a wide margin. Please don't argue this. Think of what everyone is throwing around as to what we could get for him and see if any other player on the roster could even come close to that

3. The most important factor...the team still has all the leverage here. He is under contract for two more years at a serious discount. It would be completely asinine to trade him

4. Me saying he is awesome doesn't mean much but does the fact Jason Taylor said that he's the toughest lineman he's faced mean anything??

5. He wants as much money as he can get. As fans this bothers us, but this is his life...it's important to note the distinction. Like most people, he wants to maximize his earning power.

6. Save the crap about how he should take a hometown discount because the bills took a chance on him. They did so because they saw he had talent and could potentially help their team. Give whoever pushed for him (Bobby April) a raise if anything, not punish Peters. It wasn't like it was done out of charity.

7. Him not attending training camp is being overblown quite a bit. I'll bet the nagging knee injury that never gets mentioned had more to do with him not being as dominant as the year before. He didn't even partake in the pro bowl because of it and that was about two months after he had shut it down for the year. It stands to reason that it was more serious than anyone let on.

8. As much as a lot of you hate him, he likes Buffalo. Said it himself after the game in Toronto how much they missed the fan support. Everyone else was being diplomatic except him. I appreciated that (and I'm from Toronto!).

9. Best thing for the Bills to do would be to pay him. Contracts are just going to keep going up. The most economical, however, would be to refuse to renegotiate and let him play for 2 years at his current salary (and he would play, that's almost a guarantee..no way he sits out the first 9 games or whatever the number is) and try to find another LT in the draft in the meantime.

I really hope this story about them shopping Peters is untrue. The front office can't afford to be this stupid, especially not this year with all the buzz they've generated. The Bills offense can be good this year but it will all unravel if Peters is gone.

So by facts you really meant biased opinions?? Wow, thanks for researching and sharing, that was great..... :rolleyes:

So by facts you really meant biased opinions?? Wow, thanks for researching and sharing, that was great..... :rolleyes:

I actually feel the way he does on certain points.....but in the end I think the bills need to trade Peters IF they can get close to comparable value.

I agree that Jason's play last year was too closely scrutinized.......how many of those plays were DD's fault? I dont know but there def some.....

I dont hold it against JP that he started out as a UFA tight end and worked hard to get to elite LT status

BUT

A couple of points here

- While I would very much like to have an elite LT on this team that hasn't helped us in the past get any closer to the playoffs has it? Why? Because this team has too many other holes.

- It is obvious to me that Ralph is not going to open up the checkbook in his "cash to cap" strategy to bring in the key free agents to upgrade the overall talent of this team.....I hate it but those are the facts. The only way we are going to make this team better is through the draft. We have to accumulate as many picks as we can and hope we draft WELL. What good does it do to have a quality secondar or a elite LT if there are weaknesses at multiple other positions? Our secondary will continue to get burned without a pass rush.....our elite LT will continue to get blamed when the player next to him continue to make mistakes......when do we get tired of watching our OL get no push or allow Lynch to take multiple hits in the backfield?

- Peters act of wanting to continually rework his contracts is getting old to me.....this is not going to stop and to me it is a distraction. At least you wont get that with a rookie LT or even Demetrious Bell who I think is a real talent.

- So lets say you get a 1st and 2nd for Jason Peters......you have your own 1st and 2nd picks. You come out of that with a LT, a pass rusher, a center/guard combo, and a OLB. If those guys end up being quality players have you not IMPROVED your team? So maybe your LT gives up a sack.....but maybe that pass rusher causes the fumble that gets returned for a touchdown.....maybe that OLB gets that pick and returns it for a score.....maybe that Center/Guard mauls a DT that gets Lynch into the end zone for that extra score needed? AND you dont have the drama of Jason Peters and have not tied up so much of your cap space into one player.

It would be a total dumbass move to trade Peters for just draft picks. You don't just replace LTs. It doesn't happen, and if Buffalo doesn't get a player or two for him they obviously aren't going to improve this year. Anyone who thinks a draft pick will have an impact in their first two years is smoking dope.

I agree with this post.

They have to get a first round pick and a player that can help them win THIS year

otherwise they get to take it in the rear.

Plus Philly then has to sign Peters and make him one of the highest paid LTs,

Easier said than done

Facts:

Well said, 100% agree.

The infatuation with draft picks is simply ridiculous. The only way you trade Jason Peters is if you get a few impact players at much needed positions.

I agree with this post.

They have to get a first round pick and a player that can help them win THIS year

otherwise they get to take it in the rear.

Plus Philly then has to sign Peters and make him one of the highest paid LTs,

Easier said than done

Philly will have to do that before the trade is made, which means pay him as much as he is asking the Bills to pay him.

Deal that makes the most sense is Jason Peters and our 5th rounder for Philly's first 1st round pick, Max Jean-Gilles OG, and Philly's 3rd rounder.

I completely forgot that Phili had Giles.......

That would be a great AND FAIR trade......it solves our LG problem.....we draft Peters replacement and can still go after our Defensive help.

Deal that makes the most sense is Jason Peters and our 5th rounder for Philly's first 1st round pick, Max Jean-Gilles OG, and Philly's 3rd rounder.

Intelligent, insightful, constructive. We need more of this.

Screw this guy. Trade him.

Petty, spiteful, non-constructive. We need less of this.

- While I would very much like to have an elite LT on this team that hasn't helped us in the past get any closer to the playoffs has it? Why? Because this team has too many other holes.

- It is obvious to me that Ralph is not going to open up the checkbook in his "cash to cap" strategy to bring in the key free agents to upgrade the overall talent of this team.....I hate it but those are the facts. The only way we are going to make this team better is through the draft. We have to accumulate as many picks as we can and hope we draft WELL. What good does it do to have a quality secondar or a elite LT if there are weaknesses at multiple other positions? Our secondary will continue to get burned without a pass rush.....our elite LT will continue to get blamed when the player next to him continue to make mistakes......when do we get tired of watching our OL get no push or allow Lynch to take multiple hits in the backfield?

The team has too many holes, so what we should do is create another hole at a position that had been the team's single strongest point. I don't get how that helps us, particularly as filling holes in the draft is a bit of a guessing game and retaining your best players is not.

The only way we are going to make this team better is through the draft? Well, that would be pitiful, and it's not really true either, as we have picked up Hangartner and could get some other guys over the next few points. Ralph has often opened his wallet for FAs (Dockery, Takeo Spikes, etc., etc.) and there's no reason to rule them out.

Having said that, it's been proven over and over that the best teams in the league build PRIMARILY through the draft, so building through the draft would be good. Unless, of course, the best players we draft are all traded for more draft choices as soon as they get good. And when those players get good, theya re all traded for draft choices. You HAVE TO PAY your best players, especially at key positions. If you don't do that, it's time to just throw in the towel.

I hope Buffalo doesn't trade Peters.

Saw it on NFL live... he stated talks could heat up as the draft got closer.

After TG and Boomer Michael Smith is my favorite ESPN analyst. He's usually right about the things he reports and I like his low key personality.

:beer:

Maybe the Bills can throw in a little something extra, to let the Eagles keep Justice. :rolleyes:

:lol:

That may be an insult to "suck".

But, I have to admit, I haven't seen him play more than a couple of times. One of those times, he was abused very badly.

But, he has been with the team for three years and has played in 12 games (5 last year) and started only 1 (zero last year).

http://www.nfl.com/players/winstonjustice/...ts?id=JUS425790

:lol:

I'm also going to guess that, by now, there are lower picks from some of those drafts, doing just fine, as starters in the NFL.

I'll look into it tomorrow, if nobody has the data by then,

Dibs is our guy for that if you can't find anything.

IMO, the Bills have to get Philly's two first round picks this year for Peters. Maybe name a third rounder next year based on performance that could move up to a second rounder. IMO, they have to have Philly's first rounders to make it work. The LOT position is supposed to be the deepest in the draft for a long time.

The one guy that would make me barf if the Bills drafted him isAndre Smith. He's compared to Jason Peters in TSN Draft '09, Lindy's Pro Football Draft and Pro Football '09 Draft Preview. Pro Football Weekly 2009 Draft Preview compares him to Mike Williams. :blink:

It would be horrid to draft a guy who's compared to JP but a big risk. I hope they have him off their draft board.

Two guys I really like are:

Eugene Monroe who's rated the #1 OT in the draft by all four draft mags I have and Gil Brandt rates him as the fourth best player in the draft. He has some injury issues but played in all games last year. He's being mentioned as a possible #1 pick for the Lions so it's doubtful he'd be there at #11 for Buffalo.

Jason Smith is listed ahead of Eugene Monroe on Scout's Inc. Top 32 players. They have Smith at 3 and Monroe at 5. The stuff I've read about Smith is that he's still learning the position but is very smart and has improved quickly. Most mags say he isn't ready to start yet unless it's at guard but he's an elite pass blocker which is What the Bills need with TE being brittle. If Detroit passes on Monroe as the first pick then either Monroe or JS should fall to Buffalo and in the long run may be better for the

Bills than Peters. If he's a fast learner as they say then he might be ready to start at LT.

I'd prefer Smith over Monroe based on what I've read and if he falls to Buffalo I'd be very happy.

I don't see this at all. Philly's interest in Peters is to ADD him to Gilles in an attempt to strengthen their OL and keep McNabb from getting killed. This would be completely opposite to their intentions.

KNOCK ITOFF, FO! Pay the man! Get this behind us. Peters will likely play in more Pro Bowl games than Rueben Brown and could well be on his way to a HOF career. YEEEEESH!

i secretly hope you are russ brandon, because that is a smart trade...

Saw it on NFL live... he stated talks could heat up as the draft got closer.

OK, fine. So the Bills will trade Jason Peters to Philly. And then, the Eagles will pay him exactly what he has demanded to be paid by the Bills, and will anchor their offensive line as a Pro Bowl LT for the forseeable future. And the Bills? Well they will use the draft picks to draft more rookies. And if by some miracle, around the same year Peters' gets voted into his 5th or 6th consecutive Pro Bowl, the rookie the Bills draft at perhaps LT becomes as good as Peters, they won't pay him what his demands will be either. Yeah, it's great being a Bills fan, isn't it?? :rolleyes:

Bill Polian must be shaking his head in utter amazement as to what has become of his old franchise. This idiotic standoff with the talented Peters must remind Polian of the off-season that the Broncos signed young and upcoming Bruce Smith to an offer sheet. You know Polian lost his temper and most likely wanted to let the ingrate Smith shufflle up to Denver. But, his common sense and football smarts forced him to match the offer sheet, and he reaped the benefits of Bruce's Hall of Fame career for that decision.

Too many things point to his not wanting to be here any longer.

My guess, Bills trade him by draft day, or day of.

Thing I need to know is, why is he so disillusioned? Can't be JUST

the money, as he was getting paid pretty well for a FA TE.

He wasn't getting paid very well for a two time pro bowl LT.

The team has apparently been negotiating with him and also, looking at a trade. Wouldn't even a minor injury during an OTA endanger either possibility, trade or new contract with the Bills? As for being bitter, Brandon's press conference at the start of camp last year was unprofessional and uncalled for. There was no need to make that a public spectacle and negotiate through the press. Peters and his agent never said a single unkind word about the team, Ralph, Brandon or any one in the front office. Pity the GM couldn't return that courtesy.