Old School Rap

ricojes

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the "Black Sheep" of my family. Of course, I liked Black Sheep too :thumbsup: I was the first one to break away from the country and classic rock to listen to rap music back in the mid 80's. Run DMC, Eric B and Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, UTFO, De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Kwame, Kool Moe D, Three Times Dope, D-Nice, Rob Base, Doug E. Fresh, Slick Rick, MC Hammer, Kid n Play, JJ Fad, 2 Live Crew, LL Cool J, Salt n Pepa, BDP, and EPMD are all my first memories of rap. NWA and Public Enemy took it to a completley different level for me. I was walking around my house cussing Elvis and John Wayne :blink: I loved rap music. And when Wu-Tang hit in '94 and then Biggie, woooooooo, the claws dug even deeper. Nas dropped in not soon after that along with Jay-Z. Everything shifted and rap basically took over. I followed it through until the "Black Album" by Jay-Z and then haven't really been into it since. It's different now days. I miss the CL Smooth and Pete Rock kinda joints

. It's all money, diamonds in your teeth, and voice synthesizers. I don't like it. Plus I got saved and got rid of all of my CD's. I don't even listen to secular music anymore. At one time though, I felt it was all that sustained me.

what about

De La Soul

Great call with De La Soul...

Remember the Fat Boys? Classic!

Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde, The Educated Rapper, LA Dream Team, so many others....

Ok, now I need to put together a CD.

Oh man, I used to love that old school stuff. Run DMC, PE, 3rd Bass, LL Cool J, etc... coming from the most lily-white part of New York State, it was hard to get our hands on rap CDs when they were released. Typically took a week or two before we would get most stuff. Sometimes when I'm mowing the lawn in "Suburbia, Colorado" with my IPod on listening to PE, EPMD or KRS-One I laugh to myself at the irony of it all. :thumbsup: A thirty-something white man mowing his lawn listening to old school rap... mingia that's funny to me.

I saw Public Enemy at BB Kings in NYC two weeks ago. They were doing a show in honor of Flavor Flav's 50th Birthday! Man did that show bring back some memories! It was really cool seeing them in a small intimate venue. Ice T even made a cameo appearance.

Nice. :rolleyes:

I saw Public Enemy at that famous venue......Darien Lake. Maybe not the best place to get the authentic Public Enemy experience.

[/b]

Nice. :blink:

I saw Public Enemy at that famous venue......Darien Lake. Maybe not the best place to get the authentic Public Enemy experience.

See this was my first time seeing them, I missed them at Darien Lake because I was playing in a baseball tournament back then. I was really torn between the tournament and the concert, but dad gave me the old "you committed to a team" speech, so baseball won in the end.

It was really cool to see them, even if they are a lot older now... they played a lot of the old school stuff from "Nation of Millions" "Fear of a Black Planet" and even a couple new ones from their last album in 2007.