Roy Williams anyone???

mrags

Ok, as of 3-5-09 Roy Williams is a FA. Can anyone tell me why we are not entertaining this idea? Take a look at the arguements for Williams before you rip my throat out.

5× Pro Bowl selection (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007)

"As a rookie in 2002, he was moved to free safety in order to play alongside strong safety Darren Woodson. Although it should be noted that the Cowboys defensive scheme that year allowed both players to interchange positions as to allow confusion for the opposing offenses. Williams was also runner-up for Defensive Rookie of the Year"

A 5 time Pro Bowler seems like a good leader that this defense might need. Someone that plays hard, and hits hard. He could play either FS, or SS and switch back and forth with Whitner similar to how they used him in Dallas when he played with Woodson.

You could argue that the only reason why he didnt make the Pro Bowl last year is because he injured himself during the 2nd game of the season with a broken arm. He came back 4 weeks later and refractured the same arm.

Your thoughts?

Your thoughts?

..."According to the Dallas Morning News, former Cowboys safety Roy Williams will visit the Bengals today. Williams appeared in four Pro Bowls while Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer was in Dallas.".

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009031.../903190374/1066

Near-classic CIN owner/president/GM Mike Brown action.

Brown would be interested in Beelzebub himself, if he was a vet, and he sniffed a bargain...might work out somewhere, but the jury is certainly out on Williams...spot-duty LB?

Edited by stuckincincy

One of the reason his play diminished was because Dallas switched its scheme. He had his probowl years in a 4-3 cover two style D. Which the Bills play now. Not saying he is a great cover safety by any means. But a few guys have stated he could be had relatively cheap comming off two injured arms last year. And yes he could play linebacker. He is a tough hitter, and i bet he could cover just as good as any linebacker the Bills currently have under contract. He was/has been mentioned to make the move to LB. I would not be surprised which ever team signs him will try to move him to a linebacker.

My biggest arguement is WHO ELSE DO WE HAVE AT SAFETY?!?

Do we really think that Corto, Simpson, Scott, Wendling are the answers? :thumbsup:

Williams may not be the best safety, he might not even be the best out out there right now, but its just a thought.

Oh yeah and he is 6'0 225. I think that is about the same size as Ellison. And if you are gonna tell me Ellison is as big a hitter or has the same skills as Williams then you aren't watching the same thing i am. And given the fact he likes to play inside the box and help with run support while he was at safety, then its not that big of a change for him. Especially if he is already familiar with the scheme. And his coverage skills at linebacker/ who he would be responsible for covering are a lot different then at safety.

One of the reason his play diminished was because Dallas switched its scheme. He had his probowl years in a 4-3 cover two style D. Which the Bills play now. Not saying he is a great cover safety by any means. But a few guys have stated he could be had relatively cheap comming off two injured arms last year. And yes he could play linebacker. He is a tough hitter, and i bet he could cover just as good as any linebacker the Bills currently have under contract. He was/has been mentioned to make the move to LB. I would not be surprised which ever team signs him will try to move him to a linebacker.

Dude...Roy Williams is not a cover 2 safety. Cover 2 means the safeties get deep, that is the *worst* position to put him in. Even the LB's in a cover 2 have to get to their zones and be quick in coverage - he's more of a run stopping SS than anything. A real 'tweener. I guess he's good in certain situations but I doubt he'd want to a) come to Buffalo to b) get 10-15 plays/game.

Do we really think that Corto, Simpson, Scott, Wendling are the answers? :thumbsup:

Williams may not be the best safety, he might not even be the best out out there right now, but its just a thought.

I'll take Ko Simpson and Whitner over Roy Williams. Byron Scott is a good situational SS too. I wouldn't mind exploring S in the draft though.

Oh yeah and he is 6'0 225. I think that is about the same size as Ellison. And if you are gonna tell me Ellison is as big a hitter or has the same skills as Williams then you aren't watching the same thing i am. And given the fact he likes to play inside the box and help with run support while he was at safety, then its not that big of a change for him. Especially if he is already familiar with the scheme. And his coverage skills at linebacker/ who he would be responsible for covering are a lot different then at safety.

That's more of a negative on Ellison than it is a positive on RW. I don't disagree with you totally, I just don't know that he can get off the blocks like a LB and actually tackle. Sure he can hit people, but can he wrap up? It's totally different playing LB than SS.

The problems are 1) adding "Horse Collar Roy" is also not the answer and 2) his Pro Bowls and the precedent set by his previous contract will make it expensive to obtain his mediocre services.

Seriously, the fact that nobody wanted him badly enough to trade for him... it's taken him two weeks to find an interested party ...and that the interested party is Cincy's terrible defense should be good indicators of his true value.

Has anyone actually watched him play, or do you all just say he cant cover because thats what you heard? He is not nearly the liability he is made out to be. He hasnt been great in coverage, but in the right system he could excel again. With our corners and Whitner back there, he will have plenty of support and can be better utilized in our D. Let Whitner roam free and Williams hit...

I've watched him play. I saw him scare the crap out of Todd Pinkston, I saw him break T.O.'s ankle with a now-illegal "tackle," and I've watched dudes soar past him on post patterns. Is Whitner fast enough to play FS, by the way? I'm not so sure.

Has anyone actually watched him play, or do you all just say he cant cover because thats what you heard? He is not nearly the liability he is made out to be. He hasnt been great in coverage, but in the right system he could excel again. With our corners and Whitner back there, he will have plenty of support and can be better utilized in our D. Let Whitner roam free and Williams hit...

I watched almost every Cowboys game the last few seasons (my brother in law is a big cowgirls fan and we get together on Sundays) and for the money he will make, we don't need him. He sucks in coverage.

I watched almost every Cowboys game the last few seasons (my brother in law is a big cowgirls fan and we get together on Sundays) and for the money he will make, we don't need him. He sucks in coverage.

Fair enough...you just see a lot people saying things because they heard them rather than actuall first hand knowledge. I think is liability in that D had more to do with the D and in the right system could excel again...just an opinnion though...

Fair enough...you just see a lot people saying things because they heard them rather than actuall first hand knowledge. I think is liability in that D had more to do with the D and in the right system could excel again...just an opinnion though...

I do like the way he finishes people off though, but he sometimes goes for the big hit diving at guys and olny using his shoulder pads. I looks good when he wipes the guy out, but not when the guy bounces away because he didn't wrap him up.

Not unless he can play LB!

Agreed. FWIW Tampa Bay is supposedly doing this very same thing (linebacker to safety) with Jermaine Phillips who is 6'2" and 220 lbs.

Pro Bowl's are more or less irrelevant. Roy Williams is terrible. He should put on ten lbs. and pull a 'Coy Wire' and move to WLB.

I have seen him torched numerous times on national television in the last few years. It is well-documented beyond a doubt that he cannot defense the pass.

The problems are 1) adding "Horse Collar Roy" is also not the answer and 2) his Pro Bowls and the precedent set by his previous contract will make it expensive to obtain his mediocre services.

Seriously, the fact that nobody wanted him badly enough to trade for him... it's taken him two weeks to find an interested party ...and that the interested party is Cincy's terrible defense should be good indicators of his true value.

The reports were relentless that the Cowboys were trying to trade him before releasing him. There has been little interest so far. It will be interesting to see how much he thinks he is worth...he might find the market to be a cold slap in the face.

I'd be for bringing him in for cheap, and moving him to linebacker. As atlbillsfan said, he'd probably be an upgrade over Ellison. I don't think he'd be an upgrade over Bryan Scott though, who played well last year IMO.

I've watched him play and he takes poor angles in pursuit, is out of position in pass coverage and isn't good at staying with defenders.

Williams has a unique skill set that must be utilized in a specific way, but he is poor in pass coverage.

The problem with older players who have hit or are near that proverbial wall is that they "think" that they can still do the same things they did when they were younger and don't want to take less money.I'd pass on him as safety is not a big need atm.

On another note, I just love the current state of the cowboys ,Jerry Jones keeps bringing in coaches like Bill Parcells so he can pick their brain. His desire is to be self sufficient in picking players in free agency and the draft reminds me of Al Davis of the NFC East.

I've watched him play. I saw him scare the crap out of Todd Pinkston, I saw him break T.O.'s ankle with a now-illegal "tackle," and I've watched dudes soar past him on post patterns. Is Whitner fast enough to play FS, by the way? I'm not so sure.

When I played Madden with a friend here in iggle country, I used to tease him about pinkston all day long. I'd call him a 'blade of grass' because he would get mowed down by virtually anyone. :blink:

He's making his first visit today. To Cincy! lol.

But he had his best years under Cincy's current DC, Mike Zimmer, so it makes sense.

Roy Williams is not that good. He cannot cover. Ask any cowboys fan. Plus he has a whole rule named against him. The Bills have a lot more problems than safety. For example, a left guard, possibly a center, a tight end, a d end,a d tackle and an outside linebacker before they worry about roy williams. Seriously, if you were going to have Ralph spend his money, would it be on a second cowboys reject?

I love the guy. Reminds me of Leonard Smith back in the day. I'm afraid I agree with some of the other posts though. He struggles in coverage and he's not quite big enough for OLB.

Also remember we have two pretty good strong safeties right now.

Watched Williams and Whitner play in the secondary. Williams is an upgrade over Whitner.

We don't have a FS. Scott played pretty well actually, if anyone watched the SD game he played very well and it showed he can play the SS role sufficiently.

I can't figure out why we are talking about SS as a huge liability when we don't have a FS.

FWIW, CIN played the 1st or 2nd most difficult strength-of schedule going into last season and that also held at the end of the season. They were ranked #12 in overall defense last season, 2 spots above the Bills:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...mp;d-447263-n=1