Felser Says Bills

BillsNYC

Say what you will about Jason Peters, he was a Pro Bowler last year. He was chosen by is peers not fan voting. There are people in the league that thinks he is one of the top LT's in the league and if the Bills let him go then this will prove that the T.O. signing was a marketing ploy and not to help the team win ballgames.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever Little Reb. Don`t ya`all gots some bullfrogs to ketch? :wallbash:

The Bills' front office just doesn't get the fact that salaries keep going up in this league.

Prior to last year's deal for Jake Long, they probably could have signed Peters for $7.5 million. This season the Jordan Gross contract and several others have raised the table stakes even higher for an average to above average LT.

Given the likelihood that there will 4 or 5 OT's taken in the top 20 picks this year, the salary range for the position will go even higher after the upcoming draft.

By failing to reach a deal promptly, they will end up having to pay even more money to make Peters feel like he is getting market value compensation. Morover, by overpaying for mediocrities like Walker and Dockery, they catalyzed the current impasse. How could they expect Peters to be a happy camper when those guys were making so much more money playing lower priority positions on the OL?

This all reminds me of Darcy Regier failing to sign Drury and Briere for $5 million...and then lcomplaining that he couldn't afford to match $7 million offers. The reality is that despite the uncertain economy, the going rate of compensation for a solid LOT will exceed $8 million and top performing ones will get $9 miilion and beyond.

Say what you will about Jason Peters, he was a Pro Bowler last year. He was chosen by is peers not fan voting. There are people in the league that thinks he is one of the top LT's in the league and if the Bills let him go then this will prove that the T.O. signing was a marketing ploy and not to help the team win ballgames.

I would actually like to see the rock Peters play in a PRO-BOWL . He always seems to be injured ,sprained toe nail and such. I would have liked to see him this year. You can run but you can`t hide. I`m sure it would have been ugly ,even if they were going half -speed. :wallbash:

OK so once again I am confused....

We really offered a deal comparable to what Jake Long got and Peters is turning it down? I think that kind of offer is more then fair.

The way some people talk you would think the bills are telling Peters to digest a deal that is an insult....I wouldn't call Jake Long's contract an insult.

You sort of have to laugh though. It's not like there was no chance some animosity would be built up off the hard ball that happened last year.

Whatever Little Reb. Don`t ya`all gots some bullfrogs to ketch? :wallbash:

Born and raised in the WNY area until the economic reality forced me out. But thanks for playing.

And instead of supporting your position, you made a pathetic attempt to insult me.

The Bills defense was 14th in the league last year, both in points and yardage. It ranked 13th in passing and 22th in rushing.

The Bills offense was 23rd in points, 25th in yardage, 22nd in passing, and 14th in rushing.

The Bills cut loose their starting center and starting LG. They replaced the center (we hope), but still have not addressed the LG position. Throw in the potential of losing their starting LT on top of that, and the FO once again looks like they are half assing it in addressing the offensive problems.

So, please explain how does a pass rushing DE solve those problems?

Can't speak for his father but my father thinks we aren't paying Dockery ANYTHING this year.

I was responding to his father’s comment "you get what you pay for". My point was we PAID Dockery a boat load of money and he did not produce. Paying a lot for a player does not mean you are getting a great player, it just means you paid a lot.

My feeling is Peter’s deserves a pay increase but not the highest paid LT in the NFL. He should get a 9–10 mil per year contract because he has proven himself in the past and he is still young enough to improve.

Born and raised in the WNY area until the economic reality forced me out. But thanks for playing.

And instead of supporting your position, you made a pathetic attempt to insult me.

The Bills defense was 14th in the league last year, both in points and yardage. It ranked 13th in passing and 22th in rushing.

The Bills offense was 23rd in points, 25th in yardage, 22nd in passing, and 14th in rushing.

The Bills cut loose their starting center and starting LG. They replaced the center (we hope), but still have not addressed the LG position. Throw in the potential of losing their starting LT on top of that, and the FO once again looks like they are half assing it in addressing the offensive problems.

So, please explain how does a pass rushing DE solve those problems?

You are asking a group that now loves a smug WR who they hated for years- until last week. The same group that would embrace BRIAN COX AND DON SHULA at the drop of a hat. They will fall for anything- who needs an offensive or defensive line....hey, isn't there a fantasy football draft coming up....maybe we can get Chad Johnson too.....more style over substance.

What position to take in the draft? How about a playmaker for once.

Felser is a fuggin idiot. He writes as if Peters has all the leverage in the world of Buffalo. Fact of the matter is, Peters is under contract for two more seasons. If he doesn't want to sign a long term extension, he can play out his current contract, and hope he doesn't get injured.

Felser is a fuggin idiot. He writes as if Peters has all the leverage in the world of Buffalo. Fact of the matter is, Peters is under contract for two more seasons. If he doesn't want to sign a long term extension, he can play out his current contract, and hope he doesn't get injured.

...then franchise him in the third year. :wallbash:

Trade him for players & picks. Bye bye PayMe Peters.

Move Walker to LT - Langston did a fine job spelling FatBoy while he huffed and puffed himself into playing shape.

Speed up the development of Demetrius Bell. Draft an OT, or pick up a FA. Lots of options.

Problem solved. Next problem, please...

19 and 0 baby!!! ;)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PosLUSZny!!!!! :wallbash:

A shoddy O-line can be masked with strong running (I know that's tough with a suspect line),

good play action, which all starts with having a good couple of receivers who can stretch and

challenge the d-backs.

Funny thing is, the o-line looked it's best early season without Peters.

I say trade his rather large butt, hopefully for some established players as I don't

necessarily trust our drafting ability...especially as it pertains to the O and D lines.

Remember, we kinda stumbled on Peters as a tackle.

He proved last year that he'll holdout till the last minute and come in and

play worse than a street free agent.

Before we all decide to take a run off a cliff, perhaps we should consider the possibility that so far the negotiations on the contract are in the preliminary stage and that both sides are taking a flyer to find out where the other side is coming from? Maybe its just me, but there are a lot of things still going on in the offseason and the Bills haven't finalized all of their FA and Draft signings. Until that happens they won't really know how much money they have to give Peters an extension. Not to mention, they are going to have to be prepared to give an extension to Edwards, Lynch and Poz after this year if they don't want to run into problems retaining them. While I would love for them to throw everything at Peters to keep him, because he is very talented and a huge building block for this team going forward, there are a lot of considerations to keep in mind, a fact about which both sides must be aware.

And as to the fact that Peters gave up a ton of sacks last year, those numbers are accurate, but look at when in the season he gave up most of them. The majority were at the beginning of the season when he was just coming back and out of shape and when the Bills were winning their games anyway. He was a much better lineman at the end of the season and was playing at a starting LT level by week six or seven. He would have been back to form by the end of the year had it not been for injury. I do think that Buffalo will give him the extension, I just don't know that it is going to be this week or next week. I would guess they may even wait until after the draft.

The most cogent post among 8 pages of back and forth.

I agree they're in a preliminary stage of negotiations, and both sides are set in their ways. Parker doesn't play, and Buffalo wants to get the guy under contract for the lowest price possible.

Buffalo took more than 6 months to reach agreements with Evans and Schobel. I suspect it'll be that long for Peters, but I hope not.

He proved last year that he'll holdout till the last minute and come in and

play worse than a street free agent.

and if he does that for two more seasons, how much do you think he will command on the open market?

Somebody will pay. They usually do.

Yeah but not max value--he will be 30+....He is better off getting $20M or so upfront on a 6 year deal now. His agent is dinking him badly if he doesn't get a deal done. The parameters are in place each side give a little. Its $18 Million apart over 6 years. Bills want to pay about $51M, Peters wants about $69M. Meet at $62 and we are done.

There is middle ground here. Go a bit above Jordan Gross with incentives and escalators -- do 6 years $62M with $20M upfront -- back end load a couple of $10M base salary years the last 2 years and average about $5-6M base a year the first 4 years...this is easily doable and fits in the cap.

He is a gifted player--at a hard to find position. Put someone who he can depend on next to him and we have a line and Trent has time to reach all these weapons.

Yeah but not max value--he will be 30+....He is better off getting $20M or so upfront on a 6 year deal now. His agent is dinking him badly if he doesn't get a deal done. The parameters are in place each side give a little. Its $18 Million apart over 6 years. Bills want to pay about $51M, Peters wants about $69M. Meet at $62 and we are done.

There is middle ground here. Go a bit above Jordan Gross with incentives and escalators -- do 6 years $62M with $20M upfront -- back end load a couple of $10M base salary years the last 2 years and average about $5-6M base a year the first 4 years...this is easily doable and fits in the cap.

He is a gifted player--at a hard to find position. Put someone who he can depend on next to him and we have a line and Trent has time to reach all these weapons.

Good points.

One third of voting is by fans for Pro Bowl so was chosen by fan voting.

Bills will not "let him go" - they made trade if they think they can get more value by trading.

Just introducing facts into your tilted discussion.

Oh and Peters never made it to Pro Bowl being 'injured' at end of both years.

Smart man! What kind of car do you drive?