Felser Says Bills

BillsNYC

"Buffalo's Jason Peters gave up more sacks than any starting left tackle in the league in 2008.

His 11.5 sacks allowed came in only 13 games because he missed three with various injuries after a training camp holdout.

Link

Sacks allowed, huh? By your logic, Peters alone was responsible for every sack, right? But, when I tell you that your love puppy JP Losman had a whopping 10 wins in 5 years, you respond by telling me "it's a team game." :wallbash:;)

I enjoy your posts, but you must admit that you have a habit of latching onto losers and turning your back on guys who can play. I'll prove it......

Who would you rather have on the Buffalo Bills......JP Losman or Jason Peters? Please pick one.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not being a jerk, I don't mind discussing this.

1.) Yes, that does make sense to me. I trust that the FO is better at evaluating THEIR OWN talent.

2.) I will rescind my claim that he "doesn't deserve more money" but only because the point you raise about being the 20th highest paid means to me that it's not a black or white issue. I think the Bills made the right move not giving him the money last year at a time when asking for a raise was far more justifiable than it is now. Going back to the point I made earlier--he had one good year at LT. I think we can all agree that one year does not a career make. Therefore, The Bills put the ball in his court during the 2008 offseason/season to PROVE that he'll be a reliable LT. I DON'T think he proved that, and is therefore not deserving of more money than he made in 2007 -or- 2008.

What if he pulls the same crap he did last year during the off season, the Bills keep him on the cheap, and 2009 looks like 2008? Suddenly he's worthless, to everyone at OBD, to everyone here, to everyone around the league because that'll make TWO substandard seasons to his ONE good season (at LT).

What if he shuts up, puts in his work, and plays out the second to last year of his contract and has another 2007esque season? Yeah, you're ONLY making $3M, but you don't think the Bills would back-pay him if he proved he's truly a "building block?" It's during this debate that folks forget how much money we're giving the intangible efforts of Chris Kelsay.

That of course would be the ideal situation. I just keep going back to the fact that Peters had his best season at LT right after signing his first extension, which leads me to think that a happy Peters will be a more effective Peters.

My main problem is that any LT will eventually want to be paid like a great LT, so Buffalo might as well pony up with Peters since they know what they've got. I'm willing to concede that the Bills may indeed be better at evaluating Peters' value than another team, and they obviously feel like he's a franchise LT, regardless of whether or not they're willing to give him huge money. I believe it's a bigger risk to go into the season with an unknown at LT than it would be to give Peters his money. I think most of us would be thrilled if a guy like Kelsay were jettisoned for the sole purpose of paying Peters.

Cat

To me therin lies the real problem and the talk of trading him......everybody is saying pay him whatever he wants we cant lose him but perhaps this is his way of making SURE we dont sign him....

If this is the case then you have an opportunity to get picks that would restock this team with talent (possibly) people talk about how we have multiple needs (which we do) free agency is expensive and the talent really isn't there in a lot of spots.......perhaps what we really have is an opportunity to IMPROVE the team by getting those picks......if we had 3 picks in the first round (or high picks in the draft a combonation of) you could get pass rush, a quality tight end, another quality offensive linemen........I am beginning to think that good drafts are the ONLY way to get this team back to competitive status.

Once again my status is I really want Peters back if at all possible.......but I am also on record that I really like Bell......and if he is living in the weightroom this offseason you could move Langston Walkder to LT, Bell to RT.....put a quality LG next to LW and see how it plays out. Resign Crowell and bring in Cato June. Then lets see how it all plays out. It would be a young team but a team with talent.

I dont know I just have mixed feelings on all of this. At this point and time we just seem so far away from the ultimate prize.

I never said that is what I want to do, I would like the Bills to re-sign Peters, but if we were to get rid of Peters, what do you recommend we do that would be better than Orlando Pace?

Not sure. I think I'd prefer a draft pick to Pace. He's missed so may games over the last 2 years, and when he is in the lineup he looks slow and spent.

If Peters does go (which would be to my chagrin), I really hope it's a first round pick that replaces him. Ideally it'd be Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe, but Buffalo would have to get into the top 6 to get either of them.

Their best bet after that would probably be Eben Britton, who's the most NFL ready of the remaining tackles but also has the lowest ceiling for improvement.

Just my 1 cent.

Ok

just think about this for a second. For all of you who want Peters gone,

Look who you are in agreement with

Skooby

I had him not staying pegged a while ago, anyone who cannot see the reality of Peters never working out here is dreaming. The guy is never going to stop pressing and complaining, F-him.

The reports are that the Bills offered Peters a contract better than what Jake Long the #1 overall pick got last year.

Peters now wants to be the highest paid left tackle in the NFL.

If the Bills negotiated with Peters in March of '08, they would not be in this position.

The Bills promised to re-work Peter's contract in '09 in order to get Peters to report.

Peters made the pro-bowl again.

If Peters was a free agent, he'd be the highest paid left takle in the nfl.

When you promise a guy that you will re-work a deal, you've got to pay the market rate.

show me the link that they offered him a contract better than Jake Longs?

Peters and OBD are not going to meet in the middle, as per Vick Carucci, things are not going well what so ever, Peters will not budge untill he is being paid like a Top 5 LT. Rumor has is he hasnt cashed his game checks from last year.

IMHO Peters should have gotten the new contract last year, he seemed deserving of somthing, but had we done that and he still gave us the season he did this past year we would have thrown him in the over paid category with Kelsey and Schobel.

The guy hasnt played like a top 5 LT, he shouldnt get the money. The best I can think of is for the Bills to hold firm with their garunteed, and offer Peters what he wants in incentives only. Problem is he wants it all in garauntees.

Absolute worst case scenario:

LT- Demetrius Bell

LG- Kirk Chambers

C- Geoff Hangartner

RG- Brad Butler

RT- Langston Walker

wouldn't be the worst offensive line in all of football. I guess it would all depend on Bell, but Chambers is a starter in the NFL, no question. Not to mention, they could just as easily get a starting lineman if they trade Peters. Regardless, still not the Bills biggest concern. Where the hell are they gonna get a pass rush from? That's the question that still hasn't been addressed!

show me the link that they offered him a contract better than Jake Longs?

the article is on the front page:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/606369.html

"However, a source familiar with talks said Peters’ first offer was in excess of the $11.5 million-a-year deal signed by Miami’s Jake Long, who was the first pick in the draft last year. Long’s deal was for five years and $57.5 million. "

"It’s believed Peters wants to be the highest-paid left tackle in the NFL. "

"The top contract signed by a veteran left tackle went to Carolina’s Jordan Gross just three weeks ago. A week before he was about to become an unrestricted free agent, he signed a six-year contract worth about $60 million, with $30.5 million in the first three years of the deal. "

Jason Peters is probably worth 2 1st round picks. Those 2 first round picks will probably add up to 11.5 million dollars a year. yes you get two players but how effective will the be? Nobody knows for sure. They could be flops.

Jason Peters is a proven young veteran and a Pro Bowl player. Just pay the man. If they trade him it won't help the organization at all. We just got TO we need Peters there to protect Edwards.

Trade him for players & picks. Bye bye PayMe Peters.

Move Walker to LT - Langston did a fine job spelling FatBoy while he huffed and puffed himself into playing shape.

Speed up the development of Demetrius Bell. Draft an OT, or pick up a FA. Lots of options.

Problem solved. Next problem, please...

19 and 0 baby!!! ;)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PosLUSZny!!!!! :wallbash:

And who did he do well against? He should not be a starting lineman in the league! Walker is big fat and slow

Not sure. I think I'd prefer a draft pick to Pace. He's missed so may games over the last 2 years, and when he is in the lineup he looks slow and spent.

If Peters does go (which would be to my chagrin), I really hope it's a first round pick that replaces him. Ideally it'd be Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe, but Buffalo would have to get into the top 6 to get either of them.

Their best bet after that would probably be Eben Britton, who's the most NFL ready of the remaining tackles but also has the lowest ceiling for improvement.

Just my 1 cent.

Pace played in 14 games last year, FWIW.

"However, a source familiar with talks said Peters’ first offer was in excess of the $11.5 million-a-year deal signed by Miami’s Jake Long, who was the first pick in the draft last year. Long’s deal was for five years and $57.5 million. "

"It’s believed Peters wants to be the highest-paid left tackle in the NFL. "

"The top contract signed by a veteran left tackle went to Carolina’s Jordan Gross just three weeks ago. A week before he was about to become an unrestricted free agent, he signed a six-year contract worth about $60 million, with $30.5 million in the first three years of the deal. "

That's a far cry from what we all have been hearing and reading. Even in that article they say $3Million a part. What we've read is that the Bills are offering $8.5 Million a year.

Well, if we are offering him $11.5 Million which I doubt, then we should stand pat on that offer. He will eventually sign it.

"However, a source familiar with talks said Peters' first offer was in excess of the $11.5 million-a-year deal signed by Miami's Jake Long, who was the first pick in the draft last year. Long's deal was for five years and $57.5 million. "

"It's believed Peters wants to be the highest-paid left tackle in the NFL. "

"The top contract signed by a veteran left tackle went to Carolina's Jordan Gross just three weeks ago. A week before he was about to become an unrestricted free agent, he signed a six-year contract worth about $60 million, with $30.5 million in the first three years of the deal. "

They should pay him a high average with one of those faux contracts....the ones where he gets a decent average the first 4-5 years, then year 6 or 7 contains a crazy amount that the team cannot afford. At that point they cut him for cap purposes or they get him to renegotiate. The contract is inflated enough to make him look like the highest paid LT in football, but he get's something a little more manageable.

This is what Jimmy Johnson got for Herschel Walker...

Minnesota Vikings Received:

* RB Herschel Walker

* Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)

* San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)

* Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)

* Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)

[edit] Dallas Cowboys Received:

* LB Jesse Solomon

* LB David Howard

* CB Issiac Holt

* RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)

* DE Alex Stewart

* Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) They traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft (Emmitt Smith)

* Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)

* Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)

* Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (11) (Pat Harlow)

* Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Darryll Lewis)

* Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)

* Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)

* Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)

Dallas ended up with a total of six of Minnesota's picks over the succeeding years, two of which were used to draft Emmitt Smith and Darren Woodson. Jimmy Johnson used the other draft picks to make trades with other teams around the NFL. One of the trades led to obtaining the first overall draft pick in 1991, which was used to draft Russell Maryland. In other words, the trade of Herschel Walker to the Vikings contributed largely to the Cowboys' success in the early 1990s.

Link

Now if the Bills can do half as well with PayMe Peters, we'll get players to plug holes that exist right now, plus a bunch of picks in this and future drafts.

IF Peters is so God-like, there must be at least one GM who's as smart as the FanBoys on TSW, and who would give anything to grab him. :wallbash:

I don't think the NFL will ever again see such a monumentally lopsided trade as the Walker deal, amd the next worse that I can think of was the complete blow-out draft sale that Ditka did to get Ricky legalize-it Williams while with the Saints.

That's not to say your point is not valid, as P. T. Barnum always said,"There's a sucker born every minute" and somewhere there may be a GM willing to sell the farm for Peters.

Absolute worst case scenario:

LT- Demetrius Bell

LG- Kirk Chambers

C- Geoff Hangartner

RG- Brad Butler

RT- Langston Walker

wouldn't be the worst offensive line in all of football. I guess it would all depend on Bell, but Chambers is a starter in the NFL, no question. Not to mention, they could just as easily get a starting lineman if they trade Peters. Regardless, still not the Bills biggest concern. Where the hell are they gonna get a pass rush from? That's the question that still hasn't been addressed!

Bell is an unknown at LT. Chambers has never played guard and is an average tackle from what we have seen and not sure if anyone has seen our new center play center. So I disagree a bit in that this line would be a great cause for concern.

I don't get the sense of urgency to get a deal done here.

Does everyone understand that the uncapped year actually limits player movement in free agency. It gives the "owning" team even more options to keep the player off the market.

Read this article from Pat Kirwin for illumination:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Peters has little negotiating leverage other than his play. He is great--but those of you who claim there is little meet in the middle are listening too much to the agent and not the reality I think.

He is a tremendous player--one we should hold onto--but the uncapped year I think may help in this quest.

:wallbash:

Yeah, because a pass rushing DE will fix the anemic offense. Then throw in a FO seemingly hell bent on creating more problems with the offense, than they are fixing it.

Can't wait for the season.

Whatever Little Reb. Don`t ya`all gots some bullfrogs to ketch? ;)