Time to restructure Kelsays contract

Magox

I'm not saying anything new, but it is time to restructure his contract. We most likely won't cut him, because we are thin on talent at the DE position, plus the Bills FO and Coach like him.

He is not as bad as everyone makes him out to be, everyone is disgusted with his play, primarily because of how much $$ he is making. If he were to be strictly a rotational DE and had a modest contract of a couple million a year, he wouldn't receive no where near as much flack as he does.

He should redo his contract, making the Bills fan base happier, allow more $ to sign other players, plus he would be seen as more of a team player by doing so.

He has to know that we are not happy, and you can hear that in his interviewed, even he himself said that he was surprised that we addressed the WR position with T.O, because he felt that there were more pressing needs. No doubt in my mind he was talking about his position.

I think he would be open to it. Hopefully the Bills bring it to his attention.

yes, i cant imagine why anyone wouldnt want to give up a few million dollars so people on message boards would be "happier"

Thats not the point.

He wouldn't do it just to make other people happier.

It should be done for the same reason why Alex Smith or LT are renegotiationg their contracts (just to name a few recent ones). Because they are not WORTH the contracts that they have signed. That is why!!

Are you saying that you believe that Kelsay is worth $5million a year?

Ok

you clearly didn't read my entire post. Why don't you read the very last line of my original post, then get back to me

Sorry, you are correct. Since the Bills are not hurting for cap space, why would he need to restructure his contract? If I were Kelsay I think I would refuse whether anyone believed I was worth $5M or not.

Sorry, you are correct. Since the Bills are not hurting for cap space, why would he need to restructure his contract? If I were Kelsay I think I would refuse whether anyone believed I was worth $5M or not.

Well you may be right.

He may not accept it, and it is his prerogative to do so or not. And your right, it wouldn't make a big difference as far as the cap is concerned. But I think you and I both know that the cap number isn't the most important number to R.W, it is the bottom line $.

It doesn't hurt to try to get him to take a pay cut. As a matter of fact, I would make it public, let everyone know that we are wanting him to take a cut in pay, hold him accountable for his play/contract. It would add more pressure for him to do so.

Dont you think?

The only way he restructures is if he thinks he may get cut, and make much less somewhere else. As long as he's favored by the coaching staff, he probably isn't worried about that happening. Of course, that could change if we draft a stud DE in the first round, and if Schobel comes back at full strength. It also wouldn't hurt if either of the guys we picked up last year end up making a good impression in camp.

Well you may be right.

He may not accept it, and it is his prerogative to do so or not. And your right, it wouldn't make a big difference as far as the cap is concerned. But I think you and I both know that the cap number isn't the most important number to R.W, it is the bottom line $.

It doesn't hurt to try to get him to take a pay cut. As a matter of fact, I would make it public, let everyone know that we are wanting him to take a cut in pay, hold him accountable for his play/contract. It would add more pressure for him to do so.

Dont you think?

I agree but I also agree with lets go bills. Cut him. I usually don't dislike players on the Bills but he is one very useless guy. I would think right tackles must laugh when they line up against him.

3 years / $200,000

:P

Kelsey really isn't as bad as people make him out to be. He is a pretty solid run defender. He's just not a pass rusher. If we do draft a DE in the 1st, chances are they will struggle terribly against the run in their rookie year. So Kelsey does have a role. But I really don't think it would be that bad if the team approach CK for a restructuring.

Incentives for Kelsay could be include: new guaranteed money, less risk of being cut at the end of pre-season, roster bonuses in future years that remove the risk of late pre-season cuts. That being said, if I were the Bills and had a starter that I didn't think was worth $5M per season, I'd look for an upgrade.