Buffalo and T.O. getting the love

seq004

b] Schein says it could end up going either way, but still a great move by the Bills.[/b]

Pretty much my thoughts. Big upside, little downside (unless the Bills forget they can just cut TO, if it starts to get ugly, and there isn't progress on the field).

What I don't understand, is when "analysts" criticize the move, because of TO's attitude, but don't even bother to note that he has always done well, without incident, in his first year. It's like they aren't even trying.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mort may be a douche, but make no mistake. This IS a signing made of desperation.

It's not like bringing in TO is the one piece this team is missing to make its run. It's a one-year deal meant to put asses in seats, get people talking about the Bills, sell some merchandise and -- quite possibly -- take some pressure off Evans. While I believe that it automatically elminates the constant eight-in-the-box scenarios this team has faced due to lack of receiving threats, also keep in mind that we lost many a game because of piss-poor coaching, game planning and game management. TO's presence isn't going to make that stupid shiiit suddenly go away, BUT it does elevate the chances of the Bills getting to the playoffs. What can't be denied is what Jim Miller has been saying; teams either get better or they get worse, and signing TO to a one-year deal definitely makes the team better.

This is Jauron's last chance, and while I don't begrudge him for going down swinging, make no mistake, that is precisely what he is doing.

Pretty much my thoughts. Big upside, little downside (unless the Bills forget they can just cut TO, if it starts to get ugly, and there isn't progress on the field).

What I don't understand, is when "analysts" criticize the move, because of TO's attitude, but don't even bother to note that he has always done well, without incident, in his first year. It's like they aren't even trying.

It sells more papers and boosts ratings when TO is painted in a negative light.

I think TO will be a pleasant surprise for the Bills.

It sells more papers and boosts ratings when TO is painted in a negative light.

I think TO will be a pleasant surprise for the Bills.

I hope so too, but even if it turns out ugly, I think it can still be win-win in the end. After 9 years of total garbage, the entire organization from top to bottom needs a MAJOR attitude adjustment... who better to stir things up than T.O.? :lol:

Dont know if it has been posted before but here is an interview with Mort about his hate of the Bills.

Coach Tuesday (NYC): Mort: there is a perception out there among Bills fans that you have been overly critical of the organization ever since Tom Donahoe was fired. Any response to that notion?

Chris Mortensen: I am on record as saying Donahoe’s firing was silly (especially after the late great GM John Butler explained to me why he fled Buffalo for San Diego). I would need 1,500 words to break it down and show you why. What I don’t understand is why Bills fans - whom I have had great admiration for in the past - are so mean and vindictive, and unwilling to acknowledge that even their success now is connected to the foundation Donahoe built. Remember, he inherited a franchise that had severe salary cap problems, a QB mess and was rudderless. I like Dick Jauron and I like Trent Edwards. Still, even when you look at contributing players on the team now and others around the league Donahoe drafted or signed, you will see he was capable and, not only that, a good man of integrity, a father & husband who has been subjected to too many unfair and mean-spirited barbs. One day, I will take the time to break it all down but, at the same time, not detract at all to what the Bills are doing today - winning.

If that doesn’t sound like someone with a grudge, I don’t know what does.

Mort may be a douche, but make no mistake. This IS a signing made of desperation.

It's not like bringing in TO is the one piece this team is missing to make its run. It's a one-year deal meant to put asses in seats, get people talking about the Bills, sell some merchandise and -- quite possibly -- take some pressure off Evans. While I believe that it automatically elminates the constant eight-in-the-box scenarios this team has faced due to lack of receiving threats, also keep in mind that we lost many a game because of piss-poor coaching, game planning and game management. TO's presence isn't going to make that stupid shiiit suddenly go away, BUT it does elevate the chances of the Bills getting to the playoffs. What can't be denied is what Jim Miller has been saying; teams either get better or they get worse, and signing TO to a one-year deal definitely makes the team better.

This is Jauron's last chance, and while I don't begrudge him for going down swinging, make no mistake, that is precisely what he is doing.

Desperation by the Bills AND Owens...absolutely. I have no problem with that characterization...as long as they continue to go further in the analysis.

Not that I expect much consistency here, but do you suppose Mort understands the role the "late, great John Butler" played in creating the mess that St. Thomas Donohoe had to clean up?

What a sanctimonious sphincter!

Dont know if it has been posted before but here is an interview with Mort about his hate of the Bills.

Coach Tuesday (NYC): Mort: there is a perception out there among Bills fans that you have been overly critical of the organization ever since Tom Donahoe was fired. Any response to that notion?

Chris Mortensen: I am on record as saying Donahoe’s firing was silly (especially after the late great GM John Butler explained to me why he fled Buffalo for San Diego). I would need 1,500 words to break it down and show you why. What I don’t understand is why Bills fans - whom I have had great admiration for in the past - are so mean and vindictive, and unwilling to acknowledge that even their success now is connected to the foundation Donahoe built. Remember, he inherited a franchise that had severe salary cap problems, a QB mess and was rudderless. I like Dick Jauron and I like Trent Edwards. Still, even when you look at contributing players on the team now and others around the league Donahoe drafted or signed, you will see he was capable and, not only that, a good man of integrity, a father & husband who has been subjected to too many unfair and mean-spirited barbs. One day, I will take the time to break it all down but, at the same time, not detract at all to what the Bills are doing today - winning.

...but of course Mort said it was "desperate."

You all can bash Mort as much as you like, but them's the facts; Buffalo signed TO as PR hail Mary. This is not so much about making the team better, it is about getting us fans to stop hating their guts.

Pardon the hyperbole, but I really do 'hate' our 'leadership'.

Just watched most of the ESPN talking head shows and the overall opinion is positive for the Bills. Yes, Owens had no other offers. Yes, T.O. can ruin a locker room. But Owens makes the Bills better and he has incentive to be a good teammate. Even douche nozzle Mort said as much on NFL Live.

PTR

While I'll agree with you it's a signing that helps marketing I don't see it as "desperation" at all. The fact of the matter is with Coles opting for the Bengals who else was out there released or FA that could come in and be a solid number 2 reciever next to Evans? The Bills needed a talented reciever and paid LESS for a better one IMO. They filled a need. They were not a great team last year but lost a lot of close games and a few quality FA's may be what they need to win those close games. They were not Detroit or Cinci.

Funny that when they were 5-1 it was because Donahoe was so great and wise but when they fell off it was because Levy/Jauron, etc. were so horrible. The funny thing is that besides Lee and Peters there may not be an impact player on this roster left from the Donahoe by 2010. Schobel and Kelsay both have their last shot this season, Reed is up, and I'm not sure how long we can justify paying Roscoe what he makes. Either way, I'm not sure how you can classify the Donahoe era as anything but a failure.

That being said, are some of Mort's criticisms fair and valid? Obviously, but it's not exactly insider scoop, much less anything any of us can't deduce on our own without him saying it. But c'mon, three years later Mort is still crying foul about how Donahoe was dismissed. Anyone who has a brain can see that Tom Donahoe did absolutely nothing to be given a new contract at the money he was making at the time. When Mort starts being straight about our faults and not taking personal shots at people because they fired his friend, I'm not sure why anyone should give him the benefit of the doubt.