4 year $23 Million Dollars

I think that's a bit outrageous for a corner back, who's under sized and gets blown away from bigger Wide Outs, well it will be interesting to see him, go up one on one on Lee Evans and get smoked, When the aints come up to One Bills Drive, in the 09 season. Oh yeah he's gotta go up against Randy Moss also, again that should be interesting.

I think that's a bit outrageous for a corner back, who's under sized and gets blown away from bigger Wide Outs, well it will be interesting to see him, go up one on one on Lee Evans and get smoked, When the aints come up to One Bills Drive, in the 09 season. Oh yeah he's gotta go up against Randy Moss also, again that should be interesting.

Apparently you've never seen him play.

He's a shut-down cornerback, playmaker, and deserves every penny.

I'd also be willing to bet Lee Evans isn't going to "smoke" him, since Greer is probably faster than Evans.

You didn't watch much of Greer, did you? He was easily Buffalo's best cover man the last 2 years.

I'd also be willing to bet Lee Evans isn't going to "smoke" him, since Greer is probably faster than Evans.

no just that one game when he let Randy Moss score 4 touch down's on him, he's really a great shut down corner. I'm not saying he sucks, I'm saying he's an average Corner Back, and will probably always be a average Corner Back, he's good against wide outs his height, but he gets blown away from the larger Wide Outs, I.E. giving up 4 touch downs to Randy Moss in our house, in the 07 season

no just that one game when he let Randy Moss score 4 touch down's on him, he's really a great shut down corner. I'm not saying he sucks, I'm saying he's an average Corner Back, and will probably always be a average Corner Back, he's good against wide outs his height, but he gets blown away from the larger Wide Outs, I.E. giving up 4 touch downs to Randy Moss in our house, in the 07 season

Rnady moss makes 95% of the corners in the NFL look like they suck. Typically when renady doesnt catch the ball is either becuase its overthrown or he dropped it.

Use a better example to state your case. I also agree he was the best corner we had the last two years.

He is NOT a "shut-down" corner. Champ Bailey is a "shut-down" corner. Deion was, so was Darrell Green. Please don't use that terminology with Jabari (whom I like very much, fyi).

I remember watching him shut down TO on MNF all night.

I am happy for him. I am sad for the Bills.

It really isn't outrageous at all. And it means nothing after the guaranteed bonus money. Look at our newest CB, Florence. He signed with the Jags last year at this time for 6 years, $36 Million. As it turned out, he earned a whopping $13 Million in bonus and guaranteed salary for his one year there, and he got cut. No wonder the kid was willing to sign for so much less this year with the Bills. That's why I think the Jags were nuts to cut him after only one season. So Jabari's salary is really more about his up front bonus and first couple of years' salary, more then his 4 years for 23 Million.

He is NOT a "shut-down" corner. Champ Bailey is a "shut-down" corner. Deion was, so was Darrell Green. Please don't use that terminology with Jabari (whom I like very much, fyi).

He absolutely is one. The guy is like a glove on receivers.

Is Bailey better than Greer? Of course. But both guys blanket their receivers.

If we can't re-sign Greer for $23 million, how much do they think they will need to re-sign McGee?

It depends on how well Youboty does this year. If he beats out Florence for the nickel and proves he's starting material we might not even re-sign McGee. Same proves true for Reggie Corner. It doesn't matter who's playing corner anyhow if we can't get a pass rush...

It doesn't matter who's playing corner anyhow if we can't get a pass rush...

A separate thread should be titled as the above quote.

The folks who are critical of the CB decisions that have been made need to offer up some suggestions about the bigger picture of how to impove the defense as a whole (in the context of available FAs and potential draft picks). What were our rankings for the defense last year?

a few things..

1- congratulations, jabari! going from an undrafted FA to getting a $23 million dollar contract. way to go.

2- there are no shut down cornerbacks anymore. deion sanders was the last one.

While I was a fan of Jabari, I think the point people are making is that the market typically overpays Cornerbacks in free-agency. Look at Drayton Florence (last year), DeAngelo Hall (though that was a trade and then a waiver pickup), and our beloved Nate Clements. For those of you that want to tout Clements, I'll admit, he is good, but 10 mil a year good? How many Pro Bowls has he been to since the signing? All in all, a CB can be made by good pressure on a QB. All those years the Bills kept taking DB after DB in the first round of the draft in the 90's, when they should have been getting Bruce Smith help. They finally did by signing Paup. With that said, the fact that the Bills were terrible rushing the QB last year makes what Greer did even better. He'll do fine in NO, but Buffalo better get some help at DL and LB, then McGee, McKelvin and Youbouty's jobs will be much easier.

Huh. Nice player, but not worth the contract he signed IMO.

The way the Greer love's been running on TSW, I wouldn't be surprised to see posts saying he should be on the Wall of Fame someday....

Honestly, I doubt that this had THAT much to do with money. Last week it was reported that the Bills had, I believe an offer of 5 years at $20 M on the table. That was before they reportedly sweetened the pot as free agency began. I can't imagine that the final offer was that different from the 4 year $23 M that Greer ultimately received from New Orleans. I think this was a matter of the front office trying to move promptly. Greer had already met with at least two teams and was seemingly taking his time making a decision. The Bills got tired of waiting and went ahead and signed Florence to a significantly smaller deal. Notice that after the Florence signing it didn't take Jabari long to sign with another team, since his Buffalo safety net was gone.

I am not at all criticizing Greer, especially since this may be his once ever shot at a big contract. He did exactly what he was supposed to do and was rewarded handsomely as a result. He's a good player and a good guy, and I really wish him luck. I'm just getting tired of our supposed "fans" whining about how the front office doesn't want to spend any money, when they can't take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

Honestly, I doubt that this had THAT much to do with money. Last week it was reported that the Bills had, I believe an offer of 5 years at $20 M on the table. That was before they reportedly sweetened the pot as free agency began. I can't imagine that the final offer was that different from the 4 year $23 M that Greer ultimately received from New Orleans.

There's a big difference between $4M/year (what the Bills offered) and $5.75M/year (what he ultimately got from New Orleans). He also certainly got more guaranteed from New Orleans.

There's a big difference between $4M/year (what the Bills offered) and $5.75M/year (what he ultimately got from New Orleans). He also certainly got more guaranteed from New Orleans.

Yes, but the Bills upped that initial $4M per year offer. I never heard what that new figure was.

• 1 month later...

I just found this on ESPN (with my new ESPN Insider subscription):

Insider Analysis

Grade 67

Expert's Take Greer is a five-year veteran who had another solid year as a perimeter and nickel defender. He was banged up some in 2008, but appeared to be more physical in run support as well as in coverage. He is a focused player who has a great feel for leverage and route progressions. Greer is solid reactor as plays unfold, while showing good vision and awareness to get to the pile out of his zone responsibilities. He reads route progressions well and anticipates breaks points to make plays on the ball. Greer is a very good athlete who maintains a proper cushion with quick feet, peddle and instincts. He shows good burst and close out of his plant, but doesn't have outstanding pure speed out on an island versus top receivers. He has average size, but can be effective using his hands to re-route receivers. Greer is a competitive athlete who is active to the pile and not afraid to mix it up. He is a good football player and a solid special teams contributor that has value in the free-agent market.

"Shut-down" corner? I think not...

Greer worked hard and turned himself into a nice player but he isnt worth anywhere near what he got

the Saints have been desperate for CB help and continue to overpay for average guys instead of drafting some quality

Sean Payton gets canned after another losing season of high scoring games

I don't think you guys understand what a "shut-down" corner really is. Greer was absolutely NOT one.

Actually there really wasn't a single shut down corner last year. And Jason Peters is a chump because of his dumb actions. If he would have come in and played well after SITTING OUT LIKE A BIOTCH, things would be different.

To me the point about Jabari Greer is that they knew what kind of player he was before last year.

In 2007, his 4th season with the Bills, he started 13 games for us and had 14 passes defensed and 2 interceptions. He had played in 44 games the 3 seasons previous to 2007.

They should have known his value and extended him last offseason, never letting him hit the open market.

They'll probably put Greer on TO. I think they had the same timed speed in the 40, or pretty close. Though Greer looks to be quicker and a little shiftier while Evans seems to be able to get past anyone on a straight line.

completely agree. The original poster either 1.) does not watch bills games or 2.) is unaware of good CB play.

Greer is a TREMENDOUS CB. The guy is undersize and battles with great, big wideouts consistently. The Saints got a terrific CB. He is a 1 or 2 on most teams, despite his size. He has great ball hawking instincts no Bills CB since Clements has really had. I like McGee but he doesnt have the same knack for the ball.

He was alot better than Mc Toast! :(

He was at the beginning of the year (by a longshot), but McCorner came along and I think he played very well late in the year. He got by in College on natural ability and is just beginning to learn the techniques that will make him successful in the NFL. I have high hopes for the kid.