Ask Tim Graham

Lori

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to believe that they hired an assistant GM/director of college/pro scouting from one of the most successful NFL teams just to be a scout. That's a major demotion.

Semi-retirement, a way to stay in the game...call it whatever you want. But I'm just glad Buddy's providing his 2-cents and helping mentor the younger scouts.

Which one are you calling a dimwit, chucklehead?

"Clarity, clarity, clarity." -- Strunk and White, Elements of Style

Regarding a new thread -- yeah, probably a good idea, although it's been fun to watch the hit count climb on this one. I'll take care of that when I get back from the stadium later tonight ...

How about; "common sense, common sense, common sense" Me :flirt:

I'm closing in on one million. But my rollerball is screwing up and I'm getting killed left and right.

Just a heads up ... I've been trying to post comments on your (Bills related) blogs entries since you let us know that your bosses look at those. But roughly a quarter of the time, the comments are removed, even though I can't imagine they come anywhere close to violating the terms of service. I don't know who removes them or if anyone else is having the same problem. Sorry, but I give up.

Just a heads up ... I've been trying to post comments on your (Bills related) blogs entries since you let us know that your bosses look at those. But roughly a quarter of the time, the comments are removed, even though I can't imagine they come anywhere close to violating the terms of service. I don't know who removes them or if anyone else is having the same problem. Sorry, but I give up.

Not sure what the problem might be. Thanks for trying, though. Very nice of you to go out of your way to try.

Not sure if the TD thread is the record, but definitely one of the more memorable threads. Here are a couple:

TD: Son of Satan

DVD Burning Software

Enjoy :flirt:

Not even close. Son of Satan is at 22,700, Retatta is right around 25K, and the infamous homework thread is barely half of that. Now, they may have lost some hits when the board crashed last year, but probably not a sizable amount.

I know this one had five thousand hits the first DAY, I think it passed both of the ones I mentioned within a couple of weeks, and as of the last update, it sits at 72,715.

Tim, people care what you think. :flirt:

Not even close. Son of Satan is at 22,700, Retatta is right around 25K, and the infamous homework thread is barely half of that. Now, they may have lost some hits when the board crashed last year, but probably not a sizable amount.

I know this one had five thousand hits the first DAY, I think it passed both of the ones I mentioned within a couple of weeks, and as of the last update, it sits at 72,715.

Tim, people care what you think. :lol:

For some reason I was thinking number of pages and not hits. :flirt: Oh well, still doesn't change the fact, we have some classics here :flirt:

Tim,

I've got a couple of questions about players and money, specifically 3 different groups; vets, drafted rookies, and UDFAs.

1. Do all of these players earn a per diem or a stipend from the team for mandatory OTAs and training camp? (since their salaries do not start until the regular season)

2. Do the drafted rookies receive any type of payment from the team prior to signing their contracts? Most won't be signed until july, so do these get any money from the team, or do they get an advance from an agent to get them by until then?

3. For the UDFAs, they already have signed a contract, so what do they do for cash until camp? I assume their contract comes with a minimal signing bonus, but do they get anything else? For example, Take rookie UDFA X who signed on monday and gets cut 2 weeks into training camp. How much will he bank during that time?

Thanks in advance.

Tim,

Any chance you could explain the rookie pool numbers? I'm not sure i understand what the $5.9M number means.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

I think it's the total amount of salary a team can pay for its rookies, and doesn't count signing bonuses. In other words, out of 6 million, Maybin may get 2, Wood, 1.5, Byrd 1, Levitre .75, and the rest split the rest (those are very rounded numbers).

I think it's the total amount of salary a team can pay for its rookies, and doesn't count signing bonuses. In other words, out of 6 million, Maybin may get 2, Wood, 1.5, Byrd 1, Levitre .75, and the rest split the rest (those are very rounded numbers).

I thought it was the first year cap amount. So if a player signs a 5 yr deal - 15 million signing bonus, and 500k first year salary it would count 3.5 million against the rookie cap.

I thought it was the first year cap amount. So if a player signs a 5 yr deal - 15 million signing bonus, and 500k first year salary it would count 3.5 million against the rookie cap.

It's possible. But then how could the Bills be at 5.9 mil total if Maybin, who will make 20+ mil, has a cap amount of 4 mil himself and Wood is another first rounder?

It's possible. But then how could the Bills be at 5.9 mil total if Maybin, who will make 20+ mil, has a cap amount of 4 mil himself and Wood is another first rounder?

Is it going to be a 20 million signing bonus? Or will it be 10 million over 6 years with a lot of very doable roster bonuses, etc,,, that make it an almost guaranteed 20+ million?

Is it going to be a 20 million signing bonus? Or will it be 10 million over 6 years with a lot of very doable roster bonuses, etc,,, that make it an almost guaranteed 20+ million?

I don't know. All I know is that last year the 11th pick, Leodis, signed a deal for 19.4 mil.

He signed a five-year, $19.4 million contract. The deal includes $12.6 million guaranteed. 2009: $385,000, 2010: $696,250, 2011: $1,007,500, 2012: $1,318,750, 2013: $1.075 million (Voidable Year), 2014: Free Agent

According to PFT...

The rookie pool applies only to the first year of the players’ contracts, but separate rules limit future growth to 25 percent of the first-year salary, excluding signing bonus allocation. As a result, many first-round picks don’t receive signing bonuses, and the guaranteed money is achieved by guaranteeing most of the base salaries under the deal.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/28/...s-are-released/