Roscoe Parrish

with all this talk of Coles, and in some threads Holt, coming to the Bills it has gotten me to thinking about Roscoe Parrish. I'm just wondering what kind of player he is. He hasn't had a really good year, other than special teams, since he has been in the league. Is it lack of good QB play, scheme, lack of talent? I just can't figure it out. He has speed, quickness and pretty good hands. Does anyone think he could be a superstar in the league if on a different team, or in a different scheme, or with a different QB? I am just wondering what peoples opinions are. Maybe his ceiling isn't as high as I think , but I see guys like Eddie Royal come in and be great right out of the gate. DeSean Jackson as well. I feel like he is similar to those guys. So what gives?

In my opinion, the biggest problem with our QB spot has been their lack of ability to anticipate. Edwards has shown flashes here and there, and maybe he'll improve as his confidence improves, but the biggest advantage a guy like Roscoe will have are his ridiculously fast breaks and cuts. Until we have someone behind center who can anticipate a route, I don't see a guy like Roscoe really shining as a wideout. Until we have a QB who can read the defense, anticipate the route, and then deliver the ball BEFORE having to wait for someone to be wide open, I think our woes on offense will continue.

In my opinion, the biggest problem with our QB spot has been their lack of ability to anticipate. Edwards has shown flashes here and there, and maybe he'll improve as his confidence improves, but the biggest advantage a guy like Roscoe will have are his ridiculously fast breaks and cuts. Until we have someone behind center who can anticipate a route, I don't see a guy like Roscoe really shining as a wideout. Until we have a QB who can read the defense, anticipate the route, and then deliver the ball BEFORE having to wait for someone to be wide open, I think our woes on offense will continue.

I'm completely with you on this.

I don't know, I'm no scout...but watching on TV you can still tell that he's soft- he struggles to get off the line if the CB gets in his face. Steve Smith is small too, but he'll slap a guy in the face then make his cut to get open. With Edwards they don't exactly take 7 step drops giving Parrish time to get into the open field.

They do a lot of things wrong with Roscoe- he doesn't play enough on 1st and 2nd downs to make a difference, and they very rarely put him in motion to get him into the clear. Seems like every time they throw the guy a slip screen it's telegraphed...like a base set on 1st down with Roscoe and Evans instead of Reed and Evans...hmm...you think that's a tipoff that they want Parrish to get the ball? Maybe if they mixed things up a little more offensively it would work.

But ultimately I think he's just a gimmick player...his straight line speed is pretty good by Buffalo WR standards, but it's not great, so he's not a huge deep threat (and he can't win a jump ball).

I like Roscoe, but I see no "superstar" in him. He's kind of the epitome of the Bills. Small and quick, but not really much of a "football player."

with all this talk of Coles, and in some threads Holt, coming to the Bills it has gotten me to thinking about Roscoe Parrish. I'm just wondering what kind of player he is. He hasn't had a really good year, other than special teams, since he has been in the league. Is it lack of good QB play, scheme, lack of talent? I just can't figure it out. He has speed, quickness and pretty good hands. Does anyone think he could be a superstar in the league if on a different team, or in a different scheme, or with a different QB? I am just wondering what peoples opinions are. Maybe his ceiling isn't as high as I think , but I see guys like Eddie Royal come in and be great right out of the gate. DeSean Jackson as well. I feel like he is similar to those guys. So what gives?

Roscoe was open numerous times in the second half the season for big gains and Trent never looked his way. For some reason, Edwards started to develop a case of Losmanitis -- focusing in on the #1 receiver, having happy feet and poor vision. I think he'll get over it... he just needs to keep playing.

Roscoe Parrish is the best punt returner in the NFL.

He will stay a Buffalo Bill as long as Bobby April has anything to do with this organization.

I still feel that he has never been properly utilized as a WR by this team.

He hasn't shown consistent hands. He doesn't have the size or physicality to match up with CBs on the outside. He is nothing more than a 3rd WR, although he may be best suited to a 4th WR spot. His speed and agility are well documented and he is surely the best punt returner in the NFL. He can go deep and make a few guys miss when he has some space, but he is nothing more than a situational receiver.

Rather than blame scheme and QB's does anyone bother to think that Parrish is just not that good as a WR in the NFL? The guys stats as a WR suck. Everybody is in man love with the guy because he can return punts. So could several other players given the quality of the Bills ST's overall. Parrish is small so he tends to get jammed at the line and does not get YAC because unlike punts he does not have room to juke the 1st guy. He usually gets blasted by a DB and is down immediately on a catch. I'll keep saying it - the guy is overpaid for what he contributes and needs to go. Trade him.

See Dante Hall's career stats for a prediction of Roscoe's future.

Now that we have Leodis returning too, Roscoe doesn't seem to be worth the contract. Without Leodis his value was argueable, because our offense needs every yard we can get.

I think this is one of the biggest reasons he isn't effective for us. If you look at Welker in NE, he is always catching the ball on the run out of the slot. The only time he is stopped and catching a pass is on occasion when they do a quick WR screen to the slot.

For those of you who think he has bad hands, I remember posting a while back a link to a site that showed the percentage of caught passes (i.e. caught passes/passes thrown to) for the 2007 season. According to that, he had better hands than Lee Evans.

I am too lazy and busy to look it up again.

In any event, his hands are fine.

I too would like to see his production increase. I am not sure what the cause is. I do know that when he does have the ball in his hands, he is very dangerous.

I think this is one of the biggest reasons he isn't effective for us. If you look at Welker in NE, he is always catching the ball on the run out of the slot. The only time he is stopped and catching a pass is on occasion when they do a quick WR screen to the slot.

Yep, cause as nauseated as it makes me to say it, Brady is probably the best QB in the leauge when it comes to understanding and anticipating routes and breaks. So many times on a replay you can see the ball being thrown to where the receiver will be by the time it gets there...he's not just waiting in the pocket until someone is wide open. Roethlisburger has some skills in this area too; it's what keeps him from becoming a Bledsoe-ish QB, IMO.

For those of you who think he has bad hands, I remember posting a while back a link to a site that showed the percentage of caught passes (i.e. caught passes/passes thrown to) for the 2007 season. According to that, he had better hands than Lee Evans.

I am too lazy and busy to look it up again.

In any event, his hands are fine.

I too would like to see his production increase. I am not sure what the cause is. I do know that when he does have the ball in his hands, he is very dangerous.

I was going to ask "does anyone remember any of his drops"? Parrish has good hands. I feel like most everyone else here, just not used correctly and the last few OC's/QB's we've had have not helped.

I agree 100 percent with this , great post

Most QBs the come out of college had a problem with anticipation, thats the main reason most college QBs cant handle the pro game

Trent had Lee Evans open alot this past year, should have had more catches but Trent has to learn how to trust his main weapon more like Kurt Warner does with Fitzgerald, just throw the rock his way and trust the he can make a play.

WRs in this league are not wide open like in college, but I think with more experience he will learn to trust his WRs more.

Back to Roscoe....he can be used more effectively if we had a stronger #2 WR (coles) but he is limited to quick slat routes or routes that have more double moves.

That being said he is small and tends to get jammed at the line to often, taking him out the play.

He is the best punt returner in the league though, that makes him worth keeping because he can take it to the house on any punt return.

They can use him more on reverses IMO

But if Hardy and Johnson continue to get better, I like Johnson more than I do Hardy at this point, He is trade bait next year.

Parrish is hard to find in the open field, but we dont get him the ball the way we should.

There are an incredible variety of screens, slants, run-offs, button hooks, pitchouts and quick outs we can use to get roscoe the ball. If the is put in the slot someone has to cover him tight because of his threat as a receiver underneath. Its a cliche at this point, but that is how New England uses Whelker.

Rosco was a quarterback in high school. Could we cosider using him as a wing back on the weak side in the wildcat with Jackson (another emergency quarterback) behind center?

he is quick like Welker, but Welker is much stronger, runs better routes, and has better hands.

So in other words, they have nothing in common and should never be compared to each other.

Well they are both quick- just like a Yugo and a Corvette both have four tires and a steering wheel.