CB Greer not close with Lions

Despite a report to the contrary, a source with knowledge of the situation said free agent CB Jabari Greer (Buffalo Bills) is not close to signing with the Detroit Lions. The source said Greer was in Detroit on Saturday and received an offer, but hasn't agreed to a deal.

Over the weekend Buffalo made yet another attempt to re-sign the fifth-year defensive back, but Greer continues to receive interest from other teams and may visit some of them in the coming days. However, Buffalo is still very much in the picture.

— Adam Caplan

We already had that chance. He won't re-sign here.

I haven't heard that. All i've heard is that he is trying to maximize his free market value, whether its with us or another team... i don't think it matters.

That's great news. He'd be a good re-signing for us - especially at $5mm or under per.

true...I think the thing that may be giving some teams pause in signing him is his lack of actual playing time/experience plus last yrs injury. He may have needed another yr under his belt for the big money. His talent is unquestioned

We already had that chance. He won't re-sign here.

Greer wants to see what he can get out there and i don't blame him. Everyone else is doing the same thing and until the offers stop,he will stay out there looking and waiting for his best option.

Ugh...I'm so torn on Greer.

On one hand, he's a very solid and consistent CB who seems like he could hold down our CB position for the next 5 years. Add to that he seems like a great guy and complete team player...

...but...we already have McGee and McKelvin had a pretty good rookie season. Not to mention how lights out Youboty was playing before he got hurt, and Corner flashed some talent as well. I dont know...I hate saying it, but I'd rather let him walk and put the money towards getting a OLB or FS in here.

...but...we already have McGee and McKelvin had a pretty good rookie season. Not to mention how lights out Youboty was playing before he got hurt, and Corner flashed some talent as well. I dont know...I hate saying it, but I'd rather let him walk and put the money towards getting a OLB or FS in here.

McGee is goner in 2010. Greer would represent the franchise loking ahead.

plus if we resign Greer, McGee is trade bait. Better to get something for him now then lose him next year for nothing

I love Greer, and I hope we keep him. Injuries will happen, and McGee is up after this year. Re: Youboty and Corner- I like 'em both too, but Youboty has looked good for 1/2 of his 3 years here, and that was as a nickle. And Corner looks nice so far, but Greer is a proven commodity: solid cover man, great speed, good tackler, selfless, good "team" guy. NE will probably grab him, as it not only makes them better, but a Div opponent weaker.

Ugh...I'm so torn on Greer.

On one hand, he's a very solid and consistent CB who seems like he could hold down our CB position for the next 5 years. Add to that he seems like a great guy and complete team player...

youboty hasn't made it through an entire season yet. counting on him to me, is like counting on a british sports car. i'd take greer any day and hope he doesn't have they don't respect me attitude.

I love Greer, and I hope we keep him. Injuries will happen, and McGee is up after this year. Re: Youboty and Corner- I like 'em both too, but Youboty has looked good for 1/2 of his 3 years here, and that was as a nickle. And Corner looks nice so far, but Greer is a proven commodity: solid cover man, great speed, good tackler, selfless, good "team" guy. NE will probably grab him, as it not only makes them better, but a Div opponent weaker.

if new england takes gets greer i am going to puke, and then puke some more. the rich get richer. and what about n.e. giving cassell to k.c.?

Despite a report to the contrary, a source with knowledge of the situation said free agent CB Jabari Greer (Buffalo Bills) is not close to signing with the Detroit Lions. The source said Greer was in Detroit on Saturday and received an offer, but hasn't agreed to a deal.

Over the weekend Buffalo made yet another attempt to re-sign the fifth-year defensive back, but Greer continues to receive interest from other teams and may visit some of them in the coming days. However, Buffalo is still very much in the picture.

— Adam Caplan

It will be interesting to see if Buffalo can get this done. If we sign Greer this year we are not held hostage by McGee next year.

It will be interesting to see if Buffalo can get this done. If we sign Greer this year we are not held hostage by McGee next year.

Of course, another option, is to extend McGee, now.

why do we want him back again?

so he can take money from us and keep mckelvin on the bench?

But mcKelvin will need time to rest on the bench after being the Kick and Punt return guy when roscoe gets traded because Jenkins is more valuable as a ST's Gunner if the Bills get Coles

Hate to see the Pats looming out there though...

So do I. I really like Greer and would hate to root against him every time the Bills face the Pets*.

I'd love to see the Bills have McGee, McKelvin and Greer for a few years. That would give them one of the best three CB corps in the league.

Of course, another option, is to extend McGee, now.

:wallbash: