Bills are going after Fred Taylor

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He probably does, but when the player Jacksonville picked with the 4rth rounder in the deal (Tavian Banks) rushed for only 222 yards in his career with only 1 TD and was out of the league after 2 years, it softened the blow of losing that pick.

Fred Taylor on the other hand has been a beast throughout his career (despite injuries).

That being said, if you followed the draft at the time, and were aware of what our needs were, I think we would have used the 9th pick on Tra Thomas(OT), who ultimately was chosen by the Eagles at #11.

agreed...Antowain Smith had a promising rookie season and, if not for the incompetence of Bishop Harris, would've carried the rock for us for many years

Who else ?
Tavian Banks

I'd be all for it...to me, it's a sign that we'll be more committed to the run this year. And hey, Freddy is past his prime but it never hurts to have a 10,000 yard rusher on the roster.

Is Franco Harris available? Man, he'd be a great addition at about 58 years of age.

I would like to see it for a different reason.....

Marshawn Lynch is a great player....I ran out and bought one of his jerseys almost immediately.....but the mistakes he is making right now in his personal life are in danger of derailing his career......

Bringing in another name back would send a reminder to him that nothing in life is guarenteed

Jax lost three starting offensive lineman for the season by September last year. I wouldn't be so quick to bury Taylor, he was lights out in 2007. I think he could be a veteran leader who could show Lynch how a pro should carry himself. He also could show #23 how to catch those swing passes he tends to drop.

I doubt Lynch will be suspended for the entire season, possibly a 3-4 game suspension...

Based on the assumption that we are shooting for a playoff spot this year (I know, it's a flawed assumption) then 3-4 weeks might be enough to squash those hopes.

I know, I know, Fred Jackson is an excellent player. I agree. It's just that you need more than one back to succeed in this league, especially for one quarter of the season.

As I've brought up many times, we had a shot at winning in week 17 versus the Patriots, until Fred Jackson ran out of gas due to overuse.

I've said many times this offseason that we need a third running back who can produce and can be trusted in pass blocking (that's not you Xavier). And what if Jackson gets injured by the way?

That person either has to be someone like Fred Taylor who I think is a perfect fit, or a free agent fullback like Leonard Weaver or Heath Evans, both of whom are excellent and available.

You watch, the Bills will add a veteran back, because they know they have no choice.

The Providence Journal reports that the Patriots and Bills have emerged as the "top landing spots" for free agent Fred Taylor.

New England could view Taylor as a Corey Dillon-type addition who could battle Sammy Morris and Laurence Maroney for early-down carries. Buffalo is concerned with Marshawn Lynch's availability for next season following his arrest on three gun charges. It's worth noting that Bills head coach Dick Jauron was on the Jaguars' staff when Taylor was drafted in 1998. Feb. 21 - 2:06 pm et

Source: Providence Journal

If we can get Fred for a reasonable price I'd be all for it.

I'd be all for it...to me, it's a sign that we'll be more committed to the run this year. And hey, Freddy is past his prime but it never hurts to have a 10,000 yard rusher on the roster.

Me, too. Fred has a little left in the tank, and is a RB who doesn't need 20 carries a game to make an impact. He had a few nice contributions, last year, in games with 10-12 carries. He is a smart veteran back, who could help in Marshawn misses some time and/or Lynch or Jackson suffer an injury.

Now, it wouldn't be a major FA pickup, and I doubt they are going to throw a lot of money at him...but, it is an upgrade over Oman, IMO.