Bruce Smith vs. Lawrence Taylor...who was better?

Big Turk

Bruce Smith vs. Lawrence Taylor  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better player?

• Bruce Smith
    • Lawrence Taylor

Lawrence Taylor will be on Dancing with the Stars and the blurb about him is:

"Taylor is widely considered the best defensive player in the history of the National Football League"

That got me thinking...who was better, Bruce Smith or Lawrence Taylor? I know both play different positions, but both changed the way teams had to gameplan around them, and usually were double or even triple teamed to no avail. Just would like some other thoughts...of course being a homer I will say I think Bruce was better because he a more complete player against the run and rushed the passer from a disadvantageous position of a 3-4 DE versus Taylor who rushed the passer from the "sacking" position of OLB in the 3-4...

Obviously both were tremendous players, but my vote goes to Bruce...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawrence Taylor will be on Dancing with the Stars and the blurb about him is:

"Taylor is widely considered the best defensive player in the history of the National Football League"

That got me thinking...who was better, Bruce Smith or Lawrence Taylor? I know both play different positions, but both changed the way teams had to gameplan around them, and usually were double or even triple teamed to no avail. Just would like some other thoughts...of course being a homer I will say I think Bruce was better because he a more complete player against the run and rushed the passer from a disadvantageous position of a 3-4 DE versus Taylor who rushed the passer from the "sacking" position of OLB in the 3-4...

Obviously both were tremendous players, but my vote goes to Bruce...

Taylor, but not by all that much. I don't buy that "best defensive player in the history of..." stuff either. Top ten, though, maybe.

Sorry, but I don't vote in polls.

Taylor was a guy who changed the game, he ran guys down going to the other sideline. He may have equals but no one was better.

Not to take anything away from Bruce as he was great but I agree with this post. Taylor redefined the game Bruce simply played it exceptionally.

The all-time best defensive player? how about whoever the Bills take with their first pick this year? :blink:

But really, LT changed the game, and every time he hit someone you wondered if they'd get back up. Bruce Smith was great, but LT was just better.

I agree that Taylor redefined the game and his abilities led to other clones at the OLB spot like Derrick Thomas, but at the same time the 3-4 defense was set up to maximize his abilities as an outside rusher while Smith was actually held back by the scheme he played in, but still put up astounding numbers.

Seriously though, I voted Taylor for reasons that have already been mentioned here. Bruce is great, but Taylor redefined his position.

Forget about Bruce vs. LT for a second, they played two completely different positions. I'm gonna throw a curveball here though- I'm 30, so I saw LT as a kid but couldn't really analyze his game the way I could a player now. Here's my question-was LT really any better than Ray Lewis in his prime (circa 2001 or so). I know most people will be quick to say of course he was, but Ray Lewis was absolutely insane for about a 3-4 year span and I can't really imagine a player being that much better than he was. Not to mention, like motley crue, he's still kickin ass.

It depends on one thing: When measuring these two players against each other, are we talking about LT just after he hit the crack pipe or maybe right before halftime or the end of the game when said crack hit was wearing off? The guy was an animal, but he also admitted to smoking crack right before kick off of at least one game. So cracked up LT is better than Bruce, but without uppers I say they were roughly the same given that, as another poster said, LT had a scheme designed around him to show off his talent while Bruce was put in a scheme that probably held him back statistically.

It's good to see some Bills' die-hards voted for Bruce. I salute your loyalty.

Unfortunately, I decided to try to be objective. Taylor wins this battle...for the reasons already stated. That doesn't diminish how great Bruce was, though.

LT, no comparisons. LT revolutionized the OLB position, and single handedly created more havoc on defense then anyone had before, or has since.

Bruce cannot even get a consesus as the best defensive end of all time, much less the best defensive player of all time. Don't get me wrong, I am fortunate to have been a season ticket holder during the majority of Smiths' career with the Bills, and I agree he's one of the best defensive players ever. But he was not better then Taylor.

Seriously though, I voted Taylor for reasons that have already been mentioned here. Bruce is great, but Taylor redefined his position.

Forget about Bruce vs. LT for a second, they played two completely different positions. I'm gonna throw a curveball here though- I'm 30, so I saw LT as a kid but couldn't really analyze his game the way I could a player now. Here's my question-was LT really any better than Ray Lewis in his prime (circa 2001 or so). I know most people will be quick to say of course he was, but Ray Lewis was absolutely insane for about a 3-4 year span and I can't really imagine a player being that much better than he was. Not to mention, like motley crue, he's still kickin ass.

I'm 50, so I was able to watch both Taylor and Lewis in their primes. LT was better. You have to understand that before Taylor came along in the early 80's, there had never been a linebacker like him. Ray Lewis? A great MLB, who has followed in the foot steps of Mike Singletary, Jack Lambert and Dick Butkus. You would have an argument on your hands if you wanted to say Lewis is the best MLB in NFL history. However, no one would argue that LT is the greatest OLB in NFL history, simply because he was. Joe Montana does not have Marino or Favre's stats, but most consider him the best QB ever to play the game. You can put LT in that same un-quantifiable category of greatness. Smith has the most sacks, I'm sure other linebackers may have more tackles and interceptions. But LT was just the very best ever. :blink: