Bruce Smith vs. Lawrence Taylor...who was better?

Big Turk

Bruce Smith vs. Lawrence Taylor  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better player?

• Bruce Smith
    • Lawrence Taylor

I'm 50, so I was able to watch both Taylor and Lewis in their primes. LT was better. You have to understand that before Taylor came along in the early 80's, there had never been a linebacker like him. Ray Lewis? A great MLB, who has followed in the foot steps of Mike Singletary, Jack Lambert and Dick Butkus. You would have an argument on your hands if you wanted to say Lewis is the best MLB in NFL history. However, no one would argue that LT is the greatest OLB in NFL history, simply because he was. Joe Montana does not have Marino or Favre's stats, but most consider him the best QB ever to play the game. You can put LT in that same un-quantifiable category of greatness. Smith has the most sacks, I'm sure other linebackers may have more tackles and interceptions. But LT was just the very best ever. :blink:

Good stuff. I know one thing and I've been saying this for a while now, Jerry Rice is the best player in NFL history very simply because you can debate every other position all day long but you can't debate WR for one second.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawrence Taylor will be on Dancing with the Stars and the blurb about him is:

"Taylor is widely considered the best defensive player in the history of the National Football League"

That got me thinking...who was better, Bruce Smith or Lawrence Taylor? I know both play different positions, but both changed the way teams had to gameplan around them, and usually were double or even triple teamed to no avail. Just would like some other thoughts...of course being a homer I will say I think Bruce was better because he a more complete player against the run and rushed the passer from a disadvantageous position of a 3-4 DE versus Taylor who rushed the passer from the "sacking" position of OLB in the 3-4...

Obviously both were tremendous players, but my vote goes to Bruce...

Thats really a difficult question. LT may be the best of all time. Bruce is right up there.-I don't think anyone with a brain can say decisively that one was better than the other. Its like asking who was better? Bach or Beethoven??

How is this poll even at 50 votes a piece? LT is the greatest linebacker of all time. There's no arguing that statement. Bruuuuuce was amazing but wasn't the best against the run and didn't revolutionize his position the way Taylor did. Some of the individuals casting votes in this poll probably never saw LT play and are basing their vote on: I like the Bills, Bruce Smith played for the Bills....

Be honest with yourself

LT>Bruuuuuuce

Sorry

How is this poll even at 50 votes a piece? LT is the greatest linebacker of all time. There's no arguing that statement. Bruuuuuce was amazing but wasn't the best against the run and didn't revolutionize his position the way Taylor did. Some of the individuals casting votes in this poll probably never saw LT play and are basing their vote on: I like the Bills, Bruce Smith played for the Bills....

Be honest with yourself

LT>Bruuuuuuce

Sorry

LT was the one player who changed game plans on anyone the giants played. He was probably the best ever and lost about 15 -25 or so sacks as I don't think he got credit in first yr or two as well for all his sacks as they diod not keep them as a legitimat stat way back when. Love Bruce but LT was best ever.

Be honest with yourself

LT>Bruuuuuuce

Sorry

LT was surrounded by all star D players. Bruce wasn't. So its not ridiculous--as you seem to be saying--to have the discussion.

That said I would slightly lean toward LT.

LT, no comparisons. LT revolutionized the OLB position, and single handedly created more havoc on defense then anyone had before, or has since.

Bruce cannot even get a consesus as the best defensive end of all time, much less the best defensive player of all time. Don't get me wrong, I am fortunate to have been a season ticket holder during the majority of Smiths' career with the Bills, and I agree he's one of the best defensive players ever. But he was not better then Taylor.

LT did revolutionize the olb position, but that does not mean he was a better than Bruce. It is a lot easier to look good playing olb than de. Bruce had to constantly fight double teams and teams had game plan around him. They are as close to equal as two players can get. There are other players that outplayed Bruce and LT, like Reggie White.

LT did revolutionize the olb position, but that does not mean he was a better than Bruce. It is a lot easier to look good playing olb than de. Bruce had to constantly fight double teams and teams had game plan around him. They are as close to equal as two players can get. There are other players that outplayed Bruce and LT, like Reggie White.

I agree with some of what you posted, but in regards to Reggie White, it is much easier to take on the RT than the LT. LT is usually the better and more dominating player. I think White would have still been great on the other side, but could you imagine what Bruce would have done if he played opposite the RT? He would have been approaching 300 sacks at the end of his career...

LT was surrounded by all star D players. Bruce wasn't. So its not ridiculous--as you seem to be saying--to have the discussion.

That said I would slightly lean toward LT.

I don't understand why the voting is so close. LT was better. It's not ridiculous to say Bruce was, it's naive.

As far as Bruce not having probowl talent around him, really?

From 1990-1993 the bills had

Bruce

Conlan

Talley

Bennett

H. Jones

Odoms

I don't understand why the voting is so close. LT was better. It's not ridiculous to say Bruce was, it's naive.

Bruce

Conlan

Talley

Bennett

H. Jones

Odoms

Great post! I think Biscuit Bennett is one of the all time under-rated OLB's in NFL history. Bruce gives Talley a lot of credit for playing next to him so well for all those years, as well he should. But people tend to forget Bennett was rushing from the opposite side of Bruuuuuce for about 7 years! I don't remember Carl Banks being that much of a pass rushing threat opposite LT as Biscuit was for Smith. Another nod towards LT.

Bruce

Conlan

Talley

Bennett

H. Jones

Odoms

doesnt compare to the giants D talent--sorry--specially not on the lines(where you mention NO Billls) and at LB( Giants had hall of famers at LB---Bennett and talley --not Hall fo Famers)

Great post! I think Biscuit Bennett is one of the all time under-rated OLB's in NFL history. Bruce gives Talley a lot of credit for playing next to him so well for all those years, as well he should. But people tend to forget Bennett was rushing from the opposite side of Bruuuuuce for about 7 years! I don't remember Carl Banks being that much of a pass rushing threat opposite LT as Biscuit was for Smith. Another nod towards LT.

dont try to compare the Bills front 7 to the Giants--that is silly.

I voted for Bruce Smith, because I am sick of everyone here trying to crap all over the teams that we had in the early 1990's.

Taylor was likely the better player, but lets' look at it this way. If Taylor had played in Buffalo, would anyone call him the greatest linebacker, or greatest defensive player of all time? I seriously doubt it. That doesn't mean to say that LT wasn't the greatest, but he played in a major tv market, in the biggest city in the country, on very good football teams. If Bruce had played, say, for the Giants or 49'ers back then, don't you think he would be more highly regarded? It seems to be popular, even amongst Bills fans, to rip on the talent we had. Bruce was defensive player of the year, twice...and Bryce Paup owes Bruce something for his defensive player of the year title...

In recent weeks, the all-knowing posters on TSW have deemed Shane Conlan as "the most overrated Bills player of all time"...unless you count Andre Reed... fug you all! :thumbsup:

doesnt compare to the giants D talent--sorry--specially not on the lines(where you mention NO Billls) and at LB( Giants had hall of famers at LB---Bennett and talley --not Hall fo Famers)

Not to mention, the Giants played a far more aggressive defense than the Bills did, those years. What pass rush the Bills had, came mostly from the singular efforts of #78. Had the Bills had a real defensive coordinator in those years (Walt Corey was a terrible DC) we might be singing a far different tune now....

I love Bruce, but lets be honest with ourselves here, LT easily wins this debate. And its not because his team won a Super Bowl, or because he played in a bigger tv market, or that he had more help from his defense or that he played in a better scheme...it was because he was a MONSTER and one of the best and most ferocious football players in NFL history. For those of you who don't understand(never saw LT play) here's some NFL history 101 that will help get you up to date:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO-ZZsz4itc...feature=related

I saw both play in their prime. Bruce had a longer and more sustained period of dominance. By Super Bowl XXV, LT was spotty in terms of an impact player. He was completely invisible in that game.

I'd even say he was less an all-around force by 88 or so, a one dimensional pass-rusher. Now early in his career, he was the most dynamic defender I'd ever seen.

In 81 or 82, he picked off a pass on the Gints goal line against Detroit and sprinted the distance faster than a halfback. Speed of sound fast for a man that size. That play still blows me away.

When Biscuit came up in 87 for those last 7 games , I actually thought he would be more dominant than LT if that was even possible.

All in all, if I were a GM, I'd take Bruce. Especially when paired with a young Ted Washington.

I voted for Bruce Smith, because I am sick of everyone here trying to crap all over the teams that we had in the early 1990's.

Taylor was likely the better player, but lets' look at it this way. If Taylor had played in Buffalo, would anyone call him the greatest linebacker, or greatest defensive player of all time? I seriously doubt it. That doesn't mean to say that LT wasn't the greatest, but he played in a major tv market, in the biggest city in the country, on very good football teams. If Bruce had played, say, for the Giants or 49'ers back then, don't you think he would be more highly regarded? It seems to be popular, even amongst Bills fans, to rip on the talent we had. Bruce was defensive player of the year, twice...and Bryce Paup owes Bruce something for his defensive player of the year title...

In recent weeks, the all-knowing posters on TSW have deemed Shane Conlan as "the most overrated Bills player of all time"...unless you count Andre Reed... fug you all! :thumbsup:

Taylor played on very good football teams?????? WOW!

Maybe you missed the only meaningful period of the Bills last 30 years--but they went to 4 consecutive SBs during Sith's career, chief. The LT Giants did not.

You make it sound like Bruce was toiling in obscurity. Unbelievable argument!!

Smith was great (take that Reggie White she-ite outside, Gomer)--he's in the HOF. But this discussion is only possible on a Bills fansite. If you saw LT play, you agree he was the best, most feared and fearsome defender in NFL history.

Taylor played on very good football teams?????? WOW!

Maybe you missed the only meaningful period of the Bills last 30 years--but they went to 4 consecutive SBs during Sith's career, chief. The LT Giants did not.

You make it sound like Bruce was toiling in obscurity. Unbelievable argument!!

Smith was great (take that Reggie White she-ite outside, Gomer)--he's in the HOF. But this discussion is only possible on a Bills fansite. If you saw LT play, you agree he was the best, most feared and fearsome defender in NFL history.

I saw LT play----and think it is debatable whether he was better than Bruce. I DO lean slightly toward LT.....but you people who say its a no-brainer/slam dunk that LT was so much better....no....