With apologies to Lori

I keep seeing him on these lists of best all-time Bills, but I have very few memories of him dominating the way Biscuit or even Talley did. Paup and Spielman, while only here a short time, stick out more to me.

I remember him having big shoulder pads and skinny little legs.

What am I forgetting? :wallbash:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep seeing him on these lists of best all-time Bills, but I have very few memories of him dominating the way Biscuit or even Talley did. Paup and Spielman, while only here a short time, stick out more to me.

One of the most overrated Bills ever. I remember him being one of my favorite Bills growing up as a kid but looking back, I don't really remember him really do anything memorable. I guess I liked his name.

Shane Conlan

1987-1995.....1987-1992 with Bills(LILB)

77 starts for Bills.....500 tackles for Bills

Defensive Rookie of the Year 1987

3 Pro Bowls 1988-1990

Conlan was a great mlb, he was all over the field and very effective against the run. and making 3 pro bowls was great

Well, that shows you the quality of those lists.

Big Big Hitter.... Made some truly explosive open field hits. Other than that, made lots of tackles. More of a run stuffer but did ok covering in short areas underneath. Injured often after a few very solid seasons. Blue collar guy.. As good as Paup and Spielman were, they only visited here for a bit. Conlan was a Buffalo Bill.

Actually, Co-ROY along with the 'Halloween Treat'!

A feared hitter, he's mostly beloved due to his Buff-area roots and a classic PSU MLB. The second big casualty of the Bills to the new FA in the NFL to Wolfork's nasty -Polian driven- Indy travesty.

Biscuit truely was a stud! IMO, if he'd stayed with Buffalo, he'd be looking at HOF probabilities right now.

Terrific his first 4 seasons.

Big Big Hitter.... Made some truly explosive open field hits. Other than that, made lots of tackles. More of a run stuffer but did ok covering in short areas underneath. Injured often after a few very solid seasons. Blue collar guy.. As good as Paup and Spielman were, they only visited here for a bit. Conlan was a Buffalo Bill.

I agree 100% with you on that one. Admittedly I'm probably a little bias as his parents and my parents were friends when I was a young kid. I think he was a beneficiary of the system to some extent as well. I mean with Talley, Smith, Bennett, et al, you kind of had to pick your poison back then and decide who was going to get the double teams.

It kind of pisses me off that over the years when they (NFL talking heads and so-called experts) talk about all time great defenses, they rarely mention the Bills unit if 90-91.

What am I forgetting? :w00t:

That pretty much mirrors my memory. He was good, but not great.

I agree 100% with you on that one. Admittedly I'm probably a little bias as his parents and my parents were friends when I was a young kid. I think he was a beneficiary of the system to some extent as well. I mean with Talley, Smith, Bennett, et al, you kind of had to pick your poison back then and decide who was going to get the double teams.

It kind of pisses me off that over the years when they (NFL talking heads and so-called experts) talk about all time great defenses, they rarely mention the Bills unit if 90-91.

You can't be a great defense if you can't stop the run.

What am I forgetting? :w00t:

Whoa... we seem to be in the mode around here, of saying any white guy who played for the Bills is overrated... while sometimes I agree, Shane Conlan is not one of them. He was a solid tackler, with amazing sideline to sideline abilities. His mobility, and soldid tackling allowed Bennett, and Talley (to a lesser extent) to roam. I wish I could remember now (Lori help me here!) but while the Bills didn't lose a lot of games during Conlan's time, they lost a lot more without him, than they did with him.

You may remember Spielman more, becuase he was a more recent Bill, and a very well known NFL player when he came to Buffalo, via free agency. He was a shell of his great self with the Bills... not even close to the player that Conlan was, for the Bills. Also, IIRC, Conlan had a very solid career with the Rams, it just went without notice, because they weren't all that great at the time.