Ralph's comments at the hall of fame press conference

berndogg

For the people that didn't see it, he gave a long speech about how much the team means to buffalo, how football isn't about making a profit to him, its about the fathers that take the kids to the game, about the competition and about the quality of life for the people in the community. He was talking about how crushing it would be for the team to leave buffalo and (i thnk he was referring to the colts) said its a crushing blow to a city when they wake up one day and their football team is gone. It might be wishful thinking, and I know its been said that the team will go to the highest bidder, but listening to him, I can't help but think he's gonna find a way to make sure the team stays after he dies.

For the people that didn't see it, he gave a long speech about how much the team means to buffalo, how football isn't about making a profit to him, its about the fathers that take the kids to the game, about the competition and about the quality of life for the people in the community. He was talking about how crushing it would be for the team to leave buffalo and (i thnk he was referring to the colts) said its a crushing blow to a city when they wake up one day and their football team is gone. It might be wishful thinking, and I know its been said that the team will go to the highest bidder, but listening to him, I can't help but think he's gonna find a way to make sure the team stays after he dies.

Actually, I think he was referring to the Browns when they loaded a semi in the middle of night and moved away

But you might be right

Actually, I think he was referring to the Browns when they loaded a semi in the middle of night and moved away

But you might be right

Browns fans had the agony of knowing for the last few games that the team would be gone. Both are terrible scenarios, not sure what's worse.

here are the comments:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/01/31/w...lty-to-buffalo/

Wilson applauded for loyalty to Buffalo

Chris Brown

Posted January 31st, 2009

Tags: Ralph Wilson

At the Hall of Fame press conference announcing the 2009 class, Bills owner Ralph Wilson was applauded in Tampa for his loyalty to Buffalo as his team’s home city. Here was his comment that drew the applause.

“When I started the franchise in Buffalo, I believe you have to have consistency in a franchise because people become attached to a franchise. They take their children to the game. So many people across the country I have met have said, ‘My father used to take me to the games in Old War Memorial Stadium in downtown Buffalo and we used to stand in the end zone.’”

“People in a community become attached to a team. It gives them a quality of life and I don’t think, and I’ve always voted against it, maybe other people think differently. But I came into the game because I enjoy the game and wanted to be a part of ownership. Pro football to me is not about making money. That might sound a little off the track, but it’s not. It’s a matter of competition, the thrill of the game being the greatest sport in America, the thrill of seeing some players like Rod Woodson, Bruce Smith and all the players I’ve seen over the last half century.”

“And I think even though Buffalo is receding economically, it’s more difficult for us to operate than other areas, but we can still survive. And I think it would be very damaging, speaking just for Buffalo now, to move that team. I think it would be crushing to the fans if they didn’t have that team win or lose. And I think as long as a team is not losing a lot of money and can afford to stay they shouldn’t move. If they can get some help from the residents and taxpayers and some help on their own, they should stay.”

“So I have voted against all relocations, all, because I don’t think it was right. When a sportswriter came up to me and asked me, ‘Hey did you know that such and such a team has moved to such and such a city?’ So the people in that city wake up in the morning and they don’t have a team anymore. And that’s not right. We’re involved in a sport and a sport to me is not just to make money. And that’s why in a long-winded answer to your question I have kept the team (in Buffalo).”

I have never been very optimistic about the team staying in Buffalo after Ralph's passing, but I have to admit that the guy really defines himself by his loyalty to Buffalo. That gives me some hope that he may require his family to sell to owners who will agree to keep the team in WNY, at least for a specified period of time.

then they are doomed to endless mediocrity... and I guess thats good enough for WNYers .. just to have a team, crappy as it will always be, than not to have one at all... yep , sounds like the buffalo i know...

Are you saying there is something wrong with that sentiment? I can't imagine how not having a team is somehow better than having one that is mediocre. :thumbsup:

Are you saying there is something wrong with that sentiment? I can't imagine how not having a team is somehow better than having one that is mediocre. :thumbsup:

some people don't have a clue what an economic impact the Bills have on the region...as bad as things are now, if we ever lose the Bills, things will get a lot worse

Not only economically but quality of life, identity, pride etc.....They are a HUGE factor to quality of life in Buffalo. They WILL remain in Buffalo. Nobody is moving the team. Keep in mind that Buffalo is losing population BUT we have close to 4 Million people within 60 miles. That is hardly a small population!

The thing is I think most Bills fans just don't realize how small a market Buffalo really is compared to the bigger markets, love him or hate him you still need to admire Ralph Wilson for keeping the team in Buffalo when he could have moved the franchise many many times for more money, I know I do.

Now that he will have a HoF ring like Jim Kelly,Marv levy, Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith I wonder If he will change his outlook on the current head coach and staff?

if he is so set on keeping the team in Buffalo why doesnt he sell the team now to make sure it happens instead of continuing to own a team he clearly has no clue how to run anymore

Ralph is saying what he thinks he has to say in hopes of not getting booed at the ceremony

if he is so set on keeping the team in Buffalo why doesnt he sell the team now to make sure it happens instead of continuing to own a team he clearly has no clue how to run anymore

Ralph is saying what he thinks he has to say in hopes of not getting booed at the ceremony

Name one person with the money that has given a 100% absolute assurance that they'll keep the team in Buffalo for 50 more years. Please.

But you might be right

that was the colts when they moved to indy....................everybody knew the browns were leaving....they still make jokes about when the baltimore colts packed up in the middle of the night and split for indy.....go bills in"2012

That's great to hear. I have never believed that Ralph would simply own the team until he dies and then let the estate do with it whatever they might without a succession plan. I do believe that Ralph knows what he wants for the future of the franchise and has carefully explored privately those options weighing what's good for his family and the city of Buffalo. It would not surprise me if Ralph sold a majority stake in the team in the next couple years while he is alive and continued to be a shareholder until his death. Finding a buyer who can pay market value or close and that will keep the team in Buffalo is likely a difficult task but I believe it has and is being explored.

1. Taxes and family. His family will be better off not to pay capital gains AND estate taxes but just the latter.

2. His ownership is the best guarantee that the team stays in Buffalo bar none. He'll never move the team.

3. He can't unilaterally stop franchise relocation. Like he said, he doesn't like it and votes against it, but it happens.

Who has offered to buy the team, and keep it in Buffalo?

The disrespect to Ralph Wilson shown around here makes me sick. People who don't understand his impact and his value to Buffalo are morons. I want to vomit when I read some of the disrespectful and horrible crap written about Ralph by so-called fans. There's no justification behind it, there's no value to it, and there's no reason people should be writing it.

then they are doomed to endless mediocrity... and I guess thats good enough for WNYers .. just to have a team, crappy as it will always be, than not to have one at all... yep , sounds like the buffalo i know...

You, sir, are a disrespectful buffoon.

some people don't have a clue what an economic impact the Bills have on the region...as bad as things are now, if we ever lose the Bills, things will get a lot worse

I think the BILLS have zero impact economically on Buffalo. If anything it is a stifling affect.

Show me one legit study showing that the Bills ghave a positive affect on western New york/Buffalo. Bet you can't.

The Bills players and owner are positively affected economically by the Bills--thats for sure.

1. Taxes and family. His family will be better off not to pay capital gains AND estate taxes but just the latter.

2. His ownership is the best guarantee that the team stays in Buffalo bar none. He'll never move the team.

3. He can't unilaterally stop franchise relocation. Like he said, he doesn't like it and votes against it, but it happens.

point 1 is key....people talking that he should just sell the team don't have any common sense.

Yeah, sell the team and have to pay capital gains taxes and then his heirs have to pay estate tax on top of that..

HELLO MCFLY!! :thumbsup:

Here's a solution for all of you that want him to sell the team...YOU pony up the money for the capital gains taxes that he'd have to pay for selling the team..it'll only be a few hundred million dollars

I think the BILLS have zero impact economically on Buffalo. If anything it is a stifling affect.

Show me one legit study showing that the Bills ghave a positive affect on western New york/Buffalo. Bet you can't.

The Bills players and owner are positively affected economically by the Bills--thats for sure.

don't know about a study...but consider the taxes paid by the players and Bills employees...income taxes going to NYS on incomes in the millions of dollars. Then let's consider support staff like security, concessions, etc who will lose income. There's restaurants and hotels in the area who make more during a game weekend than they make during a whole month in the offseason (and some of that offseason business they get is from wealthy players who spend freely) who'd lose a lot of business if they were even able to stay in business at all. And even if they were, there'd be plenty of job cuts

You don't need a study...just some common sense and a knowledge of the area

don't know about a study...but consider the taxes paid by the players and Bills employees...income taxes going to NYS on incomes in the millions of dollars. Then let's consider support staff like security, concessions, etc who will lose income. There's restaurants and hotels in the area who make more during a game weekend than they make during a whole month in the offseason (and some of that offseason business they get is from wealthy players who spend freely) who'd lose a lot of business if they were even able to stay in business at all. And even if they were, there'd be plenty of job cuts

Ridiculous. The money spent for Bills games is money not spent on other businesses at other times. The state income taxes collected from the Bills players is a few million-and how much of that you think winds up in western new york??. Staff security concessions---10 games a year.

Consider how much police money goes to keeping the drunks off the road...jail costs...court costs..Not to mention many other costs the county bears in relation to this franchise.If anything it MAY be a wash...

Dont get me wrong I would hate for the Bills to leave---but lets stop with the economic impact nonsense.

Exactly. Ever been to the grocery store an hour or two before an away game? Ever notice people in Bills sweatshirts, t-shirts and hats? How about tax on every ticket sold? Tax on concessions. There have been studies that show that in general, every dollar spent at an event turns over something like 6-7 times. Take a hotdog as an example. When you buy a hotdog at the stadium, that generates a sale to the concession vendor, tax to the municipality, earnings for the worker, a purchase of a roll from the roll supplier, a hotdog from that supplier, catsup, mustard, a napkin, garbage bag, labor to empty the garbage bag, garbage pickup, taxes on nearly all of it.

No brainer.

Ridiculous. The money spent for Bills games is money not spent on other businesses at other times. The state income taxes collected from the Bills players is a few million. Staff security concessions---10 games a year.

Consider how much police money goes to keeping the drunks off the road...jail costs...court costs..Not to mention many other costs the county bears in relation to this franchise.If anything it MAY be a wash...

Dont get me wrong I would hate for the Bills to leave---but lets stop with the economic impact nonsense.

Much of the advertising money spent on local television stations is money that would not be there otherwise. The money spent on parking, concessions and Bills-related gear is money that may not be spent in the area otherwise.

What % of fans come from outside (Rochester and Canada, for instance) of the Buffalo area to the Ralph, on Sundays. Do they eat dinner? Visit bars? Stay overnight on occasion?

What about the hotel rooms, and restaurant money spent by the opposing teams, and the network crews, on gameday?

I'm sure there are studies about the average impact of an NFL team on the local community. Are there any exclusive to Buffalo? Dunno...but, I will assume there are. We may, or may not, have access to the full reports/

Here is one estimate, though, of the economic impact of the Buffalo Bills on the local community, based on a local study:

Buffalo Bills

In 1996 the teams’ gross economic impact, reflecting total economic activity resulting from the Bills presence in the marketplace was estimated to be $111.5 million. The Bills employed 1,664 people, and total direct expenditures by fans were estimated to be $31.5 million.

Greater Buffalo Partnership Buffalo Bills Task Force

Value Assessment

http://ftballiance.org/stadiums/impact.php

I simply don't understand how anyone can doubt that there is economic value to an NFL team.

If you care to try to find more, there are a plethora of interesting looking results from this search: "local economic impact of an nfl team" (without the quotes)

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl...mp;aq=f&oq=

But you might be right

I believe it was known the Browns were going to move a little while before they did. The Colts packed moving vans in the middle of the night and the next morning the city found out they were gone. Jim Irsay better not ever step foot in Baltimore again. It's a real possibility that he would be seriously harmed.

My brother in law is a huge Ravens fan. He's lived all of his life in the Baltimore area. Just say the word Irsay around him and you'll get a reaction that Irsay hopefully will never hear.

I wonder if he will continue to be villified on this board

He always will be. He's a lot more popular now after that speech but the morons will always have their say. :thumbsup:

Jim Kelly has a buyers group ready.

The disrespect to Ralph Wilson shown around here makes me sick. People who don't understand his impact and his value to Buffalo are morons. I want to vomit when I read some of the disrespectful and horrible crap written about Ralph by so-called fans. There's no justification behind it, there's no value to it, and there's no reason people should be writing it.

:wallbash::lol:

:blink: Are you really that dumb? Read below.

:D A man with common sense. :)

20% of the Bills ticket sales come from Rochester and others from Canada. That's a lot of people who would rarely come to Buffalo, if ever, if not for the Bills.

Name one person with the money that has given a 100% absolute assurance that they'll keep the team in Buffalo for 50 more years. Please.

Jim Kelly has stated numerous times he can put a group together to buy the team and its not like there wouldnt be more options if it was known Ralph was ready to sell to keep the team in Buffalo...50 years of assurance is just a dumb statement

1. Ralph stated he is not in it for the money but your reasoning is that he wont sell the team so his family who is already rich and will make money no matter when the team is sold wont have to pay both captial gains and estate taxes....you cant have it both ways

2. His ownership is not going to last much longer so again, if he wanted to keep the Bills in Buffalo he would actively be trying to do so

3. We are talking about Ralph stating he wants the team to stay in Buffalo, not league wide franchise relocation

again, Jim Kelly has stated it numerous times and its not like the team is for sale...if it was there would be offers that Ralph could consider with hopes of keeping the team in Buffalo

again, Jim Kelly has stated it numerous times and its not like the team is for sale...if it was there would be offers that Ralph could consider with hopes of keeping the team in Buffalo

Has Jim Kelly made an offer? Do you think Jim Kelly has the kind of money to buy the team?

Kelly is trying like hell to put together a group to buy the team if, and when, Ralph is ready to sell. (Good for him. I hope he gets it together.) There is ZERO indication that he actually has people ready, willing and able to buy the team, and as far as we know NO offer has been made.

Has Jim Kelly made an offer? Do you think Jim Kelly has the kind of money to buy the team?

Kelly is trying like hell to put together a group to buy the team if, and when, Ralph is ready to sell. (Good for him. I hope he gets it together.) There is ZERO indication that he actually has people ready, willing and able to buy the team, and as far as we know NO offer has been made.

No offers have been made because the team isn't for sale yet and I doubt that before the sale any of the buyers will be named.

we have no idea if an offer has been made but why would it be when Ralph has made it clear he wont sell the team

who knows if Kelly can put a group together to do so, we can only hope he can

there are plenty of rich people out there that would love to own an NFL team...Im sure finding one to keep the team in Buffalo would be hard but not impossible...the fact is it would easier to find someone now and sell the team to them rather then wait for the highest bidder who will most likely move the team to a city willing to build a top of the line stadium

No offers have been made because the team isn't for sale yet and I doubt that before the sale any of the buyers will be named.

What? People make offers for things that aren't officially for sale, all the time. I would be willing to bet that close to half of the high value business that are sold aren't officially on the block.

If Kelly really had a group ready to buy the Bills, they would make Ralph an offer.

What? People make offers for things that aren't officially for sale, all the time. I would be willing to bet that close to half of the high value business that are sold aren't officially on the block.

If Kelly really had a group ready to buy the Bills, they would make Ralph an offer.

Ralph has made it clear he won't sell the team while he's alive.

For one thing, Jimbo respects Ralph...Ralph has stated for years that he won't sell the team no matter what. What? Is Jim gonna call him a liar?

For another, do you know what Ralph had for breakfast this morning? Because unless you're following his every step, you don't have a clue whether or not anyone made an offer for the team. Contrary to popular belief, Ralph doesn't have to report everything he does or says to the media. There's a rumor that came out almost a year ago that said that there was a plan in place in which Mary Wilson would get the team upon Ralph's passing and was going to sell it to Kelly's group of investors. For all we know, that plan is in place and Ralph was a key figure in getting it done.

I never fail to be amazed when someone makes a bold claim saying that because they didn't hear about something happening, it couldn't have happened. :lol:

Much of the advertising money spent on local television stations is money that would not be there otherwise. The money spent on parking, concessions and Bills-related gear is money that may not be spent in the area otherwise.

What % of fans come from outside (Rochester and Canada, for instance) of the Buffalo area to the Ralph, on Sundays. Do they eat dinner? Visit bars? Stay overnight on occasion?

What about the hotel rooms, and restaurant money spent by the opposing teams, and the network crews, on gameday?

I'm sure there are studies about the average impact of an NFL team on the local community. Are there any exclusive to Buffalo? Dunno...but, I will assume there are. We may, or may not, have access to the full reports/

Here is one estimate, though, of the economic impact of the Buffalo Bills on the local community, based on a local study:

http://ftballiance.org/stadiums/impact.php

I simply don't understand how anyone can doubt that there is economic value to an NFL team.

If you care to try to find more, there are a plethora of interesting looking results from this search: "local economic impact of an nfl team" (without the quotes)

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl...mp;aq=f&oq=

Dean--those are weak studies. There have been studies as well in the SF bay area showing NO positive economic impact. 1664 jobs???? shoveling snow in the Rich stadium lot is not a full time job.

Show me a real study with all the pros and cons listed--not some promo done to justify raping the taxpayers for a new stadium and box seats.

Sure any group who would let you join obviously values mediocrity as a virtue. Hope the door slams you in the butt and breaks your tailbone. If you continue to post it proves you value mediocrity more than anything else.

Sure any group who would let you join obviously values mediocrity as a virtue. Hope the door slams you in the butt and breaks your tailbone. If you continue to post it proves you value mediocrity more than anything else.

:lol:

Although I'd prefer to see it slam him in the head. Well, maybe it's the same thing.

For one thing, Jimbo respects Ralph...Ralph has stated for years that he won't sell the team no matter what. What? Is Jim gonna call him a liar?

For another, do you know what Ralph had for breakfast this morning? Because unless you're following his every step, you don't have a clue whether or not anyone made an offer for the team. Contrary to popular belief, Ralph doesn't have to report everything he does or says to the media. There's a rumor that came out almost a year ago that said that there was a plan in place in which Mary Wilson would get the team upon Ralph's passing and was going to sell it to Kelly's group of investors. For all we know, that plan is in place and Ralph was a key figure in getting it done.

I never fail to be amazed when someone makes a bold claim saying that because they didn't hear about something happening, it couldn't have happened. :lol:

I agree completely. But, to insist that what Ralph should do NOW is sell the team to someone who will keep it in Buffalo assumes there are currently buyers ready to buy the team. That's absurd, too.

As for the possibility that offers have been made, but not revealed, that is possible, but doubtful. Things like that tend to leak, in my experience.