Julius Peppers wants out

I live in the Carolina's and have seen him play and he is no Bruce Smith, takes plays off etc, there is no way this team can afford a guy like that, and secondly as other posters have noted, I can not see any top free agent even considering this team. I look at Tony Gonzalez and I still can not understand why he did not want to come to Buffalo...at that time they were 4-0 or 5-1, players talk and there must be a reason why he held firm on not going to the Bills, and unfortunately I think that is going to be a sign of things to come.

I also think the Bills need only to look at the hated Dolphins and the way they did things...through the draft, trade Peters and get 1 or 2 draft picks + a starter, of course the stellar personelle dept needs to hit on those draft picks

God man, if i see another "trade peters" post i'm seriously going to vomit. trade him for 1 or 2 picks sure (if that'll even happen), and then what do we do at LT? Waist one of those picks we get on a LT that hasn't proven squat. Trading one of our best players that's in his prime, that has been extremely underpaid to this point, at one of the key positions in football, is not how you "rebuild."

This in an interesting post. Where did you hear that he want to play in a 3-4? He would be beastly as an OLB in a 3-4.

I don't think that he could do it. He's very athletic for a defensive end, but he's over 280 lbs and probably not capable of doing much in coverage. If you rush him all the time, then it's a 4-3.

Of the free agent defensive lineman, the only one worth big $ imo is Haynesworth. Put him next to Stroud with Williams to provide occasional relief and you've got a defensive interior that can take you somewhere...

This in an interesting post. Where did you hear that he want to play in a 3-4? He would be beastly as an OLB in a 3-4.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Carey said Peppers wants to play in a 3-4 defense. The Panthers use a 4-3 alignment. "He certainly feels that he can excel and thrive in a 3-4 defense," Carey said. "He is also open to just another system in general that will allow him to maximize his athletic abilities."

The "Lets trade Jason Peters" posters are idiots! yeah lets trade a pro bowl LT that protects our QB and just slide Kirk Chambers over there......and you sit an wonder why we are crap franchise. Moves like this would make our team even worse.

Peters didnt have a great year, but hes shown he can play great football over the years. And now everyone wants to trade him. Lets put our team further in a hole.......yeah sounds good to me!

Let's all hope and pray he doesn't end up wiht the Patriots, Jets, or Dolphins. They all play a 3-4 and it would totally suck for us. The Pats could have Thomas on one side, Mayo in the middle, and Peppers on the other :wallbash: The Fins would have Porter on one side, Crowder in the middle, and Peppers on the other :blink: Or the Jets could have Gholston on one side, Harris in the middle, and Peppers on the other :sick: Any way you look at it, it doesn't look good.

Money would get him here.......

If Buffalo didnt have such a huge collapse at the end of the year, I think many FA's would look at Buffalo. But they see whats going on up there in Buffalo and want no part of it. Can you blame them! Hell if they are going to miserable may as well do it in a nice location like Miami, SD, or Tampa, where its nice and you can get outside......

The Buffalo Bills are going to be the hardest team to sell to ANY worth while FA out there. I mean last year they were 7-9 but all they had to do is show FA's how well they played with all those injuries and how good they can be with a healthy team and them as an addition....

I mean really, what is the selling point for this team? What can they say for players to come here? Besides the money factor......

My thought is - We should cut Schobel b/c he's no longer hte player he was 3 years ago and he's 32. We should use that money to sign peppers if it's possbile. If we can't get him we should direct our attention to Suggs. We're in dire need of some type of a pass rusher. Schobel is not the answer. I think with paying kelsey 6 million is a bit much also... We could use the high salaries for the both of them on either Peppers or Suggs!

I have no idea what Peppers means or wants. He wants to go someplace where he can develop to his full potential, yet in Carolina he's been a perennial pro-bowler on one of the best defenses in the league?

I think this is just posturing to avoid the tag and get a long-term deal, most likely from Carolina.

:wallbash:

we have a winner!!

He would even come to Buffalo if the price was right!!

As the previous poster had suggested, cutting Kelsay and Schobel to make this happen could be a good option. I wonder what the salary cap implications are of cutting Kelsay and Schobel? how much would the Bills be liable on these two contracts and what would their salary cap hits be?

The "Lets trade Jason Peters" posters are idiots! yeah lets trade a pro bowl LT that protects our QB and just slide Kirk Chambers over there......and you sit an wonder why we are crap franchise. Moves like this would make our team even worse.

Peters didnt have a great year, but hes shown he can play great football over the years. And now everyone wants to trade him. Lets put our team further in a hole.......yeah sounds good to me!

So I am an idiot, got to love when fellow Bills fans get on each other it is a thing of beauty. Peters is your classic "today athlete" you know I will play when I feel like playing, he holds out with 3 yrs on his deal, comes back the day before the season, plays ok at times (making the Pro Bowl was a fluke and will only get him more money), then once he has the Pro Bowl leverage and the fact the Bills had not renenogotiated by that point, misses a game or twp due to injury? All I am saying is the Bills do not need guys like this, yes it is a catch 22 having a player like that at a very crucial position, but he would be a very coveted player for some team. I again go back to the Dolphins, this Bills team is far and away more talented but look what they have done, granted it had to do a great deal with coaching, but we got what we got at that position.

I think the Jets should go back to the 4-3 personally. I think the reason Gholston didn't see the field this year was because he had never played LB before. Some guys just aren't a good fit even though they have been labled as "tweeners". Jenkins is another guy who fits the 4-3 better IMO. Oh well, who cares. Whatever makes the Jets more ineffective is fine with me. :wallbash: As for Peppers, honestly, as much of a freak the guy is athleticly, he gets shut down when the game gets physical, I wouldn't get into a bidding war for the guy.

It's really frustrating that people, myself included, would love to have Peppers but feel it will be impossible to sign him. I ask, why? If money is a huge factor in deciding where to play, why can't old Ralph just pay for some players. We never get ANYONE of value in free agency. No big names or playmakers. Year after year after year.

Don't worry. I hear Russ Brandon already has on offer sheet prepared for Zach Thomas.

It's not only money, but he reportedly wants to play in a 3-4. And after living and playing in Carolina all of his life, I doubt he'd want to play in Buffalo. Add in state taxes...

The state tax thing is another big problem... players would much rather be in Florida or Texas (no state income tax) than in New York state>> state income tax is what 7%>> that's huge when you are making 5or 6 mil per year...

So I am an idiot, got to love when fellow Bills fans get on each other it is a thing of beauty. Peters is your classic "today athlete" you know I will play when I feel like playing, he holds out with 3 yrs on his deal, comes back the day before the season, plays ok at times (making the Pro Bowl was a fluke and will only get him more money), then once he has the Pro Bowl leverage and the fact the Bills had not renenogotiated by that point, misses a game or twp due to injury? All I am saying is the Bills do not need guys like this, yes it is a catch 22 having a player like that at a very crucial position, but he would be a very coveted player for some team. I again go back to the Dolphins, this Bills team is far and away more talented but look what they have done, granted it had to do a great deal with coaching, but we got what we got at that position.

Overall NO, but for wanting to trade Jason Peters YES. Need a tissue?

The article on nfl.com quotes peppers as saying that he wants to play in a 3-4 defense. That removes the Bills from even being in the stratosphere of a conversation about getting this stud. Not that we really ever would have been anyway.

I have no idea what Peppers means or wants. He wants to go someplace where he can develop to his full potential, yet in Carolina he's been a perennial pro-bowler on one of the best defenses in the

He want's to play in a 3-4 defense, rather than the 4-3 he's in now. Odd, since he'd likely be double teamed more...but perhaps it's code for saying "I want to play for teams X, Y or Z."

If the money is right, he will ask for a pen to sing the dotted line.

Ralph will not spend nor will any top tier Free Agent come to Buffalo even for the right price. Get this straight in all of you dreamer's heads. The Bills will end up with more Melvin Fowler/Robert Royals types--get used to it and accept it.

I think the Jets should go back to the 4-3 personally. I think the reason Gholston didn't see the field this year was because he had never played LB before. Some guys just aren't a good fit even though they have been labled as "tweeners". Jenkins is another guy who fits the 4-3 better IMO. Oh well, who cares. Whatever makes the Jets more ineffective is fine with me. :wallbash: As for Peppers, honestly, as much of a freak the guy is athleticly, he gets shut down when the game gets physical, I wouldn't get into a bidding war for the guy.

you really shouldn't have posted this.

don't you know the drums that are currently being banged here?

34 is better than 43 in all cases.

we have no DEs and every DE in the nfl besides ours gets pressure every play, and it doesn't matter who you have at WR or in the secondary, all that matters is the line!

34 and a good coach will win every single game 100% of the time.

and jp just needs one more chance!! it's the system!

My thought is - We should cut Schobel b/c he's no longer hte player he was 3 years ago and he's 32. We should use that money to sign peppers if it's possbile. If we can't get him we should direct our attention to Suggs. We're in dire need of some type of a pass rusher. Schobel is not the answer. I think with paying kelsey 6 million is a bit much also... We could use the high salaries for the both of them on either Peppers or Suggs!

Forget the salary cap, let's cut all the big earners. The deal Schobel signed makes it impossible to cut him this season without taking a huge hit. Ditto for Kelsay as well, he'd count 5M against the cap this season.

The Bills are bad enough in their front office. Compounding their ineptitude by cutting overpaid veterans only adds insult to injury.

Forget the salary cap, let's cut all the big earners. The deal Schobel signed makes it impossible to cut him this season without taking a huge hit. Ditto for Kelsay as well, he'd count 5M against the cap this season.

The Bills are bad enough in their front office. Compounding their ineptitude by cutting overpaid veterans only adds insult to injury.

So lets take the hit. So what? those DEs are completely useless. Get it over with already.

you really shouldn't have posted this.

don't you know the drums that are currently being banged here?

34 is better than 43 in all cases.

we have no DEs and every DE in the nfl besides ours gets pressure every play, and it doesn't matter who you have at WR or in the secondary, all that matters is the line!

34 and a good coach will win every single game 100% of the time.

and jp just needs one more chance!! it's the system!

yes true. we have zero DEs. Dont use all the other garbage to try and cover that up.

So lets take the hit. So what? those DEs are completely useless. Get it over with already.

It's not that simple. Cutting Schobel and Kelsay will result in 10M plus of dead cap room at the DE position alone.

The Bills' bad moves since Levy took over have placed this team in dire straights. I suspect Kelsay will get the axe after this season, but Schobel isn't going anywhere. Marv made sure of that, and for the record, Kelsay will be 30 during the season. Schobel and Denney both turn 32 this year. They'll be going DE in the first round if Orakpo or E. Brown make it to 11.

70 sacks in 105 games. 36 passes batted down. 4 interceptions and 500+ tackles. Consider he is double teamed on most downs. He can take a few downs off with that production.

Peppers is well noted to take downs off. We need a DE with his skill but not one with his heart for the game.