What did the Bills accomplish this season??

SKOOBY

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although a major dissapointment, this season accomplished a couple things:

On a serious note:

-We have an excellent 1-2 punch at running back when they are healthy

-W have the most quality depth at returning kicks in the NFL with Parrish, McKelvin, McGee and others that filled the role.

On a sarcastic note:

-We now know that if our head coached pissed in an electrical socket, he would show any emotion.

-We now know how to play a game with no electricity in the stadium as well as how to straighten out a goal post during an extended tv time out

-If we can't lead the league in wins we can in stadium arrests.

-Our backup quarterback play is consistent-consistently bad!

-We can fumble away a win no matter how much we have the game sewn up

-We are the only team in NFL history that can play a home game in a different country, in weather that no way resembles our home field and in a stadium where more fans are cheering for the visitors and wearing their jerseys.

Go Bills!

Made it easier to move to Toronto, since the fans won't mind seeing the Mayflower vans showing up in the middle of the night.

That's it! What the Bills accomplished was causing Ted Rogers to have a heart attack and die after watching them play and the lackluster ticket sales, thus killing (ahem) the Bills' potential move to Toronto.

So they accomplished a lot this year.

Besides moving up a spot in the draft from the previous draft?

I think they did a good job of showing that they are a team in decline rather than a team on the rise. When you finish 7-9 with the second easiest schedule in the NFL the only rational conclusion to draw is that your team is sinking.

Why?

We all know about the coaching so lets not even bother going there. Lets look at personnel.

Poz, though not a bust yet is not an impact player and may not even be a legit starter. Fewel's faint praise for him at the end of the season shows that.

Dockery and Walker cost us big time and though they are upgrades over what we had, they are not worth the all-pro coin they are getting. They are too slow to pull and trap effectively, maybe some running schemes that let them block straight ahead so they can take advantage of their size might help but the bottom line is that they have been disappointing in relation to what they cost.

Tight end, essentially, we still don't have one who would start for anywhere else in the league.

Center, as with tight end, we don't have a legit NFL starter at center on the roster.

Defensive End: I would love to see the total salary these guys are getting divided by the number of sacks they made, I bet we pay more per sack than any team in the league. We have two guys getting paid like world beaters when they are about as frustratingly mediocre as is possible. And we can't blame Schobel's injury, he was fine last year and was just as mediocre and he won't be getting any younger in 2009. This position has become a major liability for the team and we aren't ever going to compete with New England and other potent offensive teams until we generate a pass rush. And that isn't going to happen unless Jauron and company end their love affair with slow, high motor, high character, low productivity defensive ends.

So all we need are two defensive ends, replace 3/5ths of the offensive line, pray that Poz hits his stride next year and at long last find a tight end that can't be covered with a linebacker.

Yes, we have other issues. Our situation at safety is worrisome, we need another linebacker and we need a receiver unless Hardy or, surprisinlgy, Steve Johnson develop into something. And, no, I don't think Stroud has solved our issues at DT. Surely an improvement over Tripplet but the bust of McCargo and Williams' limitations combined with Stroud's history leave this key position still worth worrying about. And lastly, we will definitley need a back up QB. I think we should go with a young development guy in the 3rd or 4th round as I just don't see a good veteran out there besides Collins who is not going to go from leading a team to the playoffs to backing up Trent Edwards in Buffalo. No way. Never going to happen. He will be starting in Tennessee or somewhere else next year.

Hopefully, it will be a busy off season.

For me, I think the team should do everything and anything it has to do to get a veteran DE. I don't care what it costs us in picks or cash. I am tired of good bargains and mediocrity. Good and great players cost. I'd rather overpay a pro bowler than overpay Chris Kelsay.