Jermaine Gresham is a big, sure-handed TE.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I read that someone said he was slow and cumbersome, NOT!!!! There is no doubt that he would be an upgrade, and if we drafted him, I wouldnt be upset at all. Having said that, I'd rather Go after Everett Brown if he is available and after Chase Coffman in the second and one of the centers in the third.

Wow. He's big. Bradford looks to him first on every play it seems. He looks rather slow and cumbersome, but he sure does have great hands.

I fully acknowledge DE is our number one need, but I'd have no problem if we landed this guy.

i don't trust a rookie receiver, be it a TE or WR, to come in and be productive right away. If we can get Owen Daniels via RFA or trade a 2nd to the Browns for Winslow i'd prefer that

I was unimpressed. Did not see the explosiveness I expected. Will be a good, Ben Watson-type player, but not sure he's a game-changer worthy of a #11. Definitely does NOT appear to have Gates' athleticism, and I didn't see him exploding into blocks (although his blocking was certainly adequate). I'm still on the fence.

I was unimpressed. Did not see the explosiveness I expected. Will be a good, Ben Watson-type player, but not sure he's a game-changer worthy of a #11. Definitely does NOT appear to have Gates' athleticism, and I didn't see him exploding into blocks (although his blocking was certainly adequate). I'm still on the fence.

Did you see the bomb he caught that was called back? It was spectacular, showing tremendous athleticism.

Did you see the bomb he caught that was called back? It was spectacular, showing tremendous athleticism.

I did, his hands are definitely superb. But as far as I could tell he ran a fly pattern on that play. If you watch Gates carefully, half of what he brings to that offense involves running precise, complex routes over the deep middle that manipulate the safeties and open up plays for others. Subtle shoulder/head moves, widening routes, etc. I didn't see that kind of athleticism last night, although admittedly I didn't watch him on every single play and I'm not sure what he was being asked to do. Also, I too was concerned by the Robert Royal-esq. plays - not just failing to go out of bounds, but also trying to jump over arm tackles and dangling the ball out.

I did, his hands are definitely superb. But as far as I could tell he ran a fly pattern on that play. If you watch Gates carefully, half of what he brings to that offense involves running precise, complex routes over the deep middle that manipulate the safeties and open up plays for others. Subtle shoulder/head moves, widening routes, etc. I didn't see that kind of athleticism last night, although admittedly I didn't watch him on every single play and I'm not sure what he was being asked to do. Also, I too was concerned by the Robert Royal-esq. plays - not just failing to go out of bounds, but also trying to jump over arm tackles and dangling the ball out.

I'm not sure you saw that out of Gates before he became an all-pro either, let alone before he became a Charger. That's asking a lot. I wouldnt expect him to come in and catch 80 passes immediately but he looks pretty awesome. He blocked fair, but I did notice him try pretty hard a few plays and go to the whistle. If we could trade down a few places and still get him I would be thrilled but probably wouldnt mind him at 11. He could take a while to become a great pro, you never know. Plus we, of course, need to see what we get in FA before seriously considering the draft.

Ben Watson? :lol: He has way better hands than Ben Watson. He's probably not as fast, as we all remember Watson running down Champ Bailey, but fast enough to be extremely effective. I watched him work over a couple of LB's and handle the DE at a couple of points in the running game as well last night so he's a decent enough blocker also. I think he could be an excellent pro, but not worth the #11 pick.

Seeing how our offense struggled and our defense was pretty good, TE makes sense, even though DE is undoubtedly a bigger need and a more important position. But the way our QB like to dump off passes and use his outlets and checkdowns, don't you all think adding an extremely sure-handed and big TE to our offense would yield positive returns. His hands are so soft.

Gresham isn't much of a blocker and defintely isn't the brightest player in the world (most around here thought there was no chance he would qualify out of high school). He is an extremely gifted pass catcher and would defintely be and upgrade. The guy is a beast in the RedZone and OU did an outstanding job of showcasing him this season.

Coffman is easily the best pass catching tightend this year. The only thing that worries me is that he NEVER lined up as a TE for Mizzou. Every play of every game I watched this year he was split out. I don't think he has much blocking experience at all.

Pettigrew is an animal when it comes to blocking. The guy is great at it and loves to do it. Honestly, Gresham and Coffman are not even on the same planet in this aspect. Pettigrew has good hands, not as good as Coffman, but still pretty good. He is big and athletic. He seemed a lot more explosive his jr. year. This year he had some injuries so maybe that hampered his big play potential. Also, OSU did a horrible job of showcasing him.

I guess it just depends what the Bills want. If you want a pure pass catcher you take Coffman. If you want a redzone threat with huge potential I think you go Gresham. If you want a great blocker who can also contribute in the passing game you go Pettigrew. I don't think the Bills can go wrong with any of the three.

What worries me is that we need a pass catching TE, but will we know what to do with him. Look at Hardy. The guy had 36 td's in college. I don't care if he didn't know the playbook and ran bad routes, but how much preparation is there to run a fade route in the endzone. We got him to be a bigtime redzone threat, and we didn't even use him. Would we actualy even use a TE?

Gresham isn't much of a blocker and defintely isn't the brightest player in the world (most around here thought there was no chance he would qualify out of high school). He is an extremely gifted pass catcher and would defintely be and upgrade. The guy is a beast in the RedZone and OU did an outstanding job of showcasing him this season.

Coffman is easily the best pass catching tightend this year. The only thing that worries me is that he NEVER lined up as a TE for Mizzou. Every play of every game I watched this year he was split out. I don't think he has much blocking experience at all.

Pettigrew is an animal when it comes to blocking. The guy is great at it and loves to do it. Honestly, Gresham and Coffman are not even on the same planet in this aspect. Pettigrew has good hands, not as good as Coffman, but still pretty good. He is big and athletic. He seemed a lot more explosive his jr. year. This year he had some injuries so maybe that hampered his big play potential. Also, OSU did a horrible job of showcasing him.

I guess it just depends what the Bills want. If you want a pure pass catcher you take Coffman. If you want a redzone threat with huge potential I think you go Gresham. If you want a great blocker who can also contribute in the passing game you go Pettigrew. I don't think the Bills can go wrong with any of the three.

I guess it's all about, "what have you done for me lately" because I wasn't all that impressed with Pettigrew's play this season, mostly because you expect more after the junior year he had.

What worries me is that we need a pass catching TE, but will we know what to do with him. Look at Hardy. The guy had 36 td's in college. I don't care if he didn't know the playbook and ran bad routes, but how much preparation is there to run a fade route in the endzone. We got him to be a bigtime redzone threat, and we didn't even use him. Would we actualy even use a TE?

The way Trent looks to Royal, yeah. Can you imagine if all those passes went to a guy with hands like Gresham instead of Royal? Trent needs a sure-handed safety valve. A giant with soft hands should do the trick.

Plus, if Hardy bounces back strong from his injury and develops more, imagine what our red zone offense might look like, a 6'5" tight end and a 6'5" receiver to go along with Evans, Lynch and Jackson. Love it!

I guess it's all about, "what have you done for me lately" because I wasn't all that impressed with Pettigrew's play this season, mostly because you expect more after the junior year he had.

The way Trent looks to Royal, yeah. Can you imagine if all those passes went to a guy with hands like Gresham instead of Royal? Trent needs a sure-handed safety valve. A giant with soft hands should do the trick.

Plus, if Hardy bounces back strong from his injury and develops more, imagine what our red zone offense might look like, a 6'5" tight end and a 6'5" receiver to go along with Evans, Lynch and Jackson. Love it!

I hear ya. Pettigrew missed three games with injury. In three less games he actually caught more passes than he did his Jr. year. However, he didn't score a TD and his YPC was down. There is no doubt he wasn't as explosive his Sr. year. His blocking however was probably even better thanhis Jr. year.

Sounds to me that he didn't play tight end at Mizzou then. Sounds more like a wide receiver to me. We don't need WR unless we can get TJ Who's Your Mama? of course!

Ben Watson? :lol: He has way better hands than Ben Watson. He's probably not as fast, as we all remember Watson running down Champ Bailey, but fast enough to be extremely effective. I watched him work over a couple of LB's and handle the DE at a couple of points in the running game as well last night so he's a decent enough blocker also. I think he could be an excellent pro, but not worth the #11 pick.

I never understood why Watson was not a better player. He is probably the most athletic TE in the NFL. I thought he would be creating mismatches all over the field. The dude got a 42 on the wonderlic too

Sounds to me that he didn't play tight end at Mizzou then. Sounds more like a wide receiver to me. We don't need WR unless we can get TJ Who's Your Mama? of course!

In the games I watched I never saw him line up at TE. They used him as a big reciever. Maybe there are some Mizou fans around here who know a lot more about it. I'm not saying he can't play TE in the pros, he just didn't play the traditional TE role in college. Still a great, great player.