Harrison a Bill?

JB_55

Nagging injuries the last couple of years. The knee and I believe it was his elbow. He's what, 36? I think he's not a guy that we're looking for. He's played atleast 8 games a year in a dome for pete's sake. You think his body will hold up any better outside playing at the Ralph from November on? I don't see it. He's been a great WR over the years, possible HOF one day, but I'd pass on him as the Bills #2 WR next year.

Amen

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing how black and white many posters are on most subjects. In the real world it's mostly grey. That's why so many people eat their words, or revise the history of their opinions.

The first question is how much you like a player.

The second question is how much would it take (Money, Player/Draft Pick Compensation) to get that player.

It's all about value.

Harrison will probably come pretty cheaply. He's a veteran wideout which we could use. When Josh Reed went down so did our offense. Yes, Harrison is nearly washed up but as a Bills' fan who moved to the Bay Area I was struck by the great value the 49ers got from Isaac Bruce. He didn't put up huge numbers but he made many timely contributions at key points in games.

Bottom line, if we could get Harrison for cheap and short (one year), it would be a good pickup. A future hall of famer? To impart wisdom to the young receivers? One more experienced hand on the crew? It's a no-brainer. If he has nothing left you cut him.

This exercise of course doesn't address the actual questions of whether the Bills would be interested in him or vice versa.

Yes, I agree with this completely. Clearly Marvin Harrison would want to leave a world in which he catches balls from Peyton Manning so he can close out his career catching balls from Trent Edwards. :lol::thumbsup::w00t:

Christ, this is going to be one LOOOOOONG off season.

You sound like you think he is going to have a ton of options. You dangle a contract like the one Levy gave Peerless Price & he will be in town to sign that contract faster then you could say Dick Moron.

With that being said, I think the bills should pass. I do not think he has much left in the tank.

Bottom line, if we could get Harrison for cheap and short (one year), it would be a good pickup. A future hall of famer? To impart wisdom to the young receivers? One more experienced hand on the crew? It's a no-brainer. If he has nothing left you cut him.

What wisdom would you expect him to impart?

The guy doesn't talk.

To the media.

To the coaches.

To the players.

Ever see a shot of Harrison during a game? Ever see a single player anywhere near him?

There's just a lil sumfin sumfin different about Marvin. A leader he would not be.

As much as I have always respected and enjoyed watching Marvin Harrison play, he is aging, he is on the decline, and I believe we could spend the money more wisely. I would like to see what Hardy and Johnson could do this year. I am really excited to see what Johnson does!!

You sound like you think he is going to have a ton of options. You dangle a contract like the one Levy gave Peerless Price & he will be in town to sign that contract faster then you could say Dick Moron.

With that being said, I think the bills should pass. I do not think he has much left in the tank.

He may not have a ton of options, but I highly doubt it's a stretch to figure he'd take less money from a team that has a chance to win, rather than take more money from team stuck in the world where three years of 7-9 is perfectly acceptable.

I tght we had all been over the fact that realfootball365 carries no more credibility than the average TBD poster? The biggest travesty is that it is still linked off the front page, instead of in a blogs section.

That simply isn't the case. Polian is a terrific GM, so he doesn't hold on to players until they have nothing left. He actually committed what I feel was a blunder, by letting Faulk go and drafting Edge James. Not that James wasn't good, but at that time Faulk had plenty left and the Colts desperately needed some D.

Clearly Harrison isn't what he was, and his contract is very big, Harrison is scheduled to make 9 Mil next year, 10 Mil in 2010 and even more in 2011.

i can see the Colts letting Marvin go even though he has a little left in the tank.

If the price were right, I'd sign him in a hearbeat. This guy could lose a step, even two, and still be fast as lightning. And he has great hands. He is a pro's pro. At his age he still had about as good a year as Lee did.

The veteran receiver we should make a push for if the Bills want a veteran wideout is Torry Holt, assuming he gets his release from the rams.

There's no one who wouldn't rather have Torry Holt than Marvin Harrison at this point. Holt is 4 years younger (32 versus 36) and had almost 1200 yards and 7 TDs in 2007 before injuries decimated the Rams offense last year. Harrison has had two consecutive down years with injuries not to mention off the field issues.

Because Holt has more football left in him he would probably cost quite a bit more than Harrison. Again, is there mutual interest between player and team and would his price make him a good value?

What wisdom would you expect him to impart?

The guy doesn't talk.

To the media.

To the coaches.

To the players.

Ever see a shot of Harrison during a game? Ever see a single player anywhere near him?

There's just a lil sumfin sumfin different about Marvin. A leader he would not be.

I've noticed that many times about him. Always at the end of the bench by himself.

There's no one who wouldn't rather have Torry Holt than Marvin Harrison at this point. Holt is 4 years younger (32 versus 36) and had almost 1200 yards and 7 TDs in 2007 before injuries decimated the Rams offense last year. Harrison has had two consecutive down years with injuries not to mention off the field issues.

Because Holt has more football left in him he would probably cost quite a bit more than Harrison. Again, is there mutual interest between player and team and would his price make him a good value?

At this point in their careers, I'd probably take Holt over Harrison...but is that an option?

Maybe I missed the point, here (wouldn't be the first time). I thought that, since Marvin has a very big contract number (for several years), and since his performance has declined, he is in danger of being cut by the Colts.

Holt has a much more livable $$ number, and is a FA after 2009. Do you expect the Rams to cut him, this offseason?

TJ Houshmandzadeh is on the top of my wishlist for this offense as well. He brings the same kind of "knowledge" as Harrison and he's got atleast 4 or 5 good years left barring serious injury. I'd pay the extra money it takes to get him for sure. It's not like we have cap trouble or anything.