Pacman Jones

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not going to prison and some one will give him a shot. He just didn't work out in Dallas. Alot of things didn't work in Dallas this year. The guy needs to REALLY THINK about how he's living. He has serious talent, that showed in 2006, but he just can't seem to get his head together. Sad. Somebody will be in that much need at CB though and give him a veteran's minimum deal that is laced with incentives.

He's not going to prison and some one will give him a shot. He just didn't work out in Dallas. Alot of things didn't work in Dallas this year. The guy needs to REALLY THINK about how he's living. He has serious talent, that showed in 2006, but he just can't seem to get his head together. Sad. Somebody will be in that much need at CB though and give him a veteran's minimum deal that is laced with incentives.

The mere fact that he continues to get chances gives him no incentive to clean up his act. Let him live and work among the "common" people for some time. Maybe once he understands how hard they have it he will not take his NFL life for granted. B-t-w his play was not stellar. Perhaps he is no longer as good as he once was.

There are 1000 threads complaining about Ralph not going after big name players, but not one call in this thread for picking up Jones?

Jones is a mega-talent. He is a game changer and the Bills need game changers. The small market of Buffalo and the calming of coach Jauron could only help Jones, yet nobody on here even entertains the thought.

I'm not a real X's and O's guy but when something is obvious like Jones talent or Edwards lack, I can see it. We do have a decent secondary so I wouldn't just flat out say sign Jones but at least let the football guys have a say. If they think he fits, I think Ralph should sign him and pay him well. He should not sign him to a bargain contract just because he can. If he pays Jones big money with little or no strings attached it will create a loyalty in Jones that he has never shown before.

Again, if the scouts and coaches think we don't need him I am fine with it, but this should be a purely football decision.

There are 1000 threads complaining about Ralph not going after big name players, but not one call in this thread for picking up Jones?

Jones is a mega-talent. He is a game changer and the Bills need game changers. The small market of Buffalo and the calming of coach Jauron could only help Jones, yet nobody on here even entertains the thought.

I'm not a real X's and O's guy but when something is obvious like Jones talent or Edwards lack, I can see it. We do have a decent secondary so I wouldn't just flat out say sign Jones but at least let the football guys have a say. If they think he fits, I think Ralph should sign him and pay him well. He should not sign him to a bargain contract just because he can. If he pays Jones big money with little or no strings attached it will create a loyalty in Jones that he has never shown before.

Again, if the scouts and coaches think we don't need him I am fine with it, but this should be a purely football decision.

Were you a supporter of Willis Mcgahee?

Your post contains two primary flaws:

1) His production on the field dropped - perhaps it is temporary - but you should not assume that hie is the player he once was

2) The guy was a distraction to the team - at a minimum remember that Jerry Jones hired him personal bodyguards (babysitters). You have to remember that Pacman can be an influence on others in the locker room in a negative way. if the guy wants to go to strip clubs and get into trouble with the law that's his choice and arguably a problem for society. Let's not have him continue his antics at the expense of the chemistry in the Bill's locker room.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3817195

So now he's alleged to have set a hit on the accusers? I will get grilled here for saying this but Jerry Jones just made a very decent and good move. I have a shred of respect for him now. Rather than "seeing how this plays out" or "rehabilitating him through mentor deon and mentor michael", jerry said enough's enough. As for pacman, hope he likes broom handles... He's gonna see a lot of them in the near future.

Oh PLEASE!!! Jerrah is no saint. He just did what EVERY OTHER OWNER IN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS would have done. You don't get any credit for doing what you're supposed to do.

Let's not have him continue his antics at the expense of the chemistry in the Bill's locker room.

This really should be the team's priority. The locker room chemistry experiment has proven that the players really do like Jauron and they are happy that he makes them happy and everyone is happy and content and cohesive. The continuity factor when combined with good chemistry cannot be underestimated. It's difficult to win in the NFL. Other teams are tough & the weather is sometimes interesting. I see this team taking a leap forward in 2009. This year they really really preformed well on Friday but on Sunday they weren't able to translate that Friday success into something meaningful. That will change in 09.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3817195

So now he's alleged to have set a hit on the accusers? I will get grilled here for saying this but Jerry Jones just made a very decent and good move. I have a shred of respect for him now. Rather than "seeing how this plays out" or "rehabilitating him through mentor deon and mentor michael", jerry said enough's enough. As for pacman, hope he likes broom handles... He's gonna see a lot of them in the near future.

Agree with you 100%. Get rid of him now. Why wait?

Were you a supporter of Willis Mcgahee?

Your post contains two primary flaws:

1) His production on the field dropped - perhaps it is temporary - but you should not assume that hie is the player he once was

2) The guy was a distraction to the team - at a minimum remember that Jerry Jones hired him personal bodyguards (babysitters). You have to remember that Pacman can be an influence on others in the locker room in a negative way. if the guy wants to go to strip clubs and get into trouble with the law that's his choice and arguably a problem for society. Let's not have him continue his antics at the expense of the chemistry in the Bill's locker room.

That's all very nice but the NFL is about talent. If our football guys think he does not have the talent then fine. If he is talented enough and all the "fans" on this board don't want him that is also fine. But anyone who thinks he has the talent and still does not want him has ZERO right to EVER complain about Ralph again.

All the stuff about distraction is excuse making plain and simple.

That's all very nice but the NFL is about talent. If our football guys think he does not have the talent then fine. If he is talented enough and all the "fans" on this board don't want him that is also fine. But anyone who thinks he has the talent and still does not want him has ZERO right to EVER complain about Ralph again.

Not sure how this topic extends into a complaint about Ralph.

Anyway, talent is more than just what someone can do on the field on Sunday. It is also about what influence does your talent and behavior have on the people around you. Some players are good enough to pull up the performance of the players around them. In the NFL I would toss Tom Brady or another one closer to Bills fans hearts would be Thurman Thomas into this category. There are also very talented players that due to their behavior or statements become distractions both on the field and in the locker room. Two individuals come to mind:

• Terrell Owens here in Dallas was like cancer both on the field and off of it. While there are arguments about whether the guy has lost some of his huge talent there is no doubt there is still a good bit there. The guy constantly demands attention on the field and off. There are claims (hard to prove but perhaps evident in results) that his demands for the ball detracted from gameplanning and on the field play. There were also known fractures in the locker room caused by statements made by Owens. Owens has been a distraction on every team he has played for in the NFL.
  • Plaxico Burress did not have the same impact to the Giants (at least that we can see) but there is no doubt in my mind that his off the field antics detract from his talent enough that I would not want him on the Bills roster (as if my vote counts). His pracice habits were also notoriously poor.

I am not suggesting in any of this that you have to fill your roster with boy scouts. Bruce Smith is an example of a guy that had his share of minor off the field issues but what a football player. I do not know anyopne that would turn him away when he was in his prime. Lawrence Taylor may be another example of this situation.

As a final point - a bit off topic - the NFL is also right to protect its brand and image (by extension its revenue). The same can be said for any individual team. Good business practice says you do not allow the behavior of a small group of individuals negatively impact your revenue. Why else would the NFL tout a relationship with the United Way? Individual clubs feature the charitable efforts of their players in an effort to create goodwill. I am not sure where the tipping point is but if the NFL is directly tainted by scandals like the Michael Vick situation, Pacman's stupidity, the vikings hooker parties etc. there will be a financial hit.

Bottom line - Pacman has had his chances to reform. His off the field problems outweigh any contribution that he may make on the field.

Are you crazy? The guy gets suspended all the time! What good is talent if it isn't on the friggin field?

Not to mention the bad pr, and forcing coaches to pay attention to something that they shouldn't have to. Pacman the moron can't behave like an adult. Screw him, and screw any moron who thinks the bills should consider him. It is just plain stupid.

Not sure how this topic extends into a complaint about Ralph.

Anyway, talent is more than just what someone can do on the field on Sunday. It is also about what influence does your talent and behavior have on the people around you.

I stopped reading your post where I truncated it in the quote. I did this because you ceased using logic. We all know what talent means. In your post you seek to tack on new meanings like influence and behavior. Talent is talent.

As for the Ralph part it was just that I noticed that all the same people that call out Ralph for not wanting to sign top talent are now saying that we should never sign Jones. You can't have it both ways. Either you support Ralph and his current policies or you want him to sign Jones. You can't say "Ralph sucks" and "don't sign Jones" at the same time and remain logical.

I am okay with someone calling out Ralph and wanting Jones or supporting Ralph and not wanting Jones. At least those are consistent.