Could Center be our Biggest problem??

Poeticlaw

Sorry, but DE is a luxury at this point. the bills get an upgrade next season when Schobel is back. The offence needs work this offseason, otherwise the Bills could throw a brick wall out there for a defence and still lose cause this offence cannot score points. Improving the defence at this point will do nothing but make the pats game a slightly less of a blowout. The current defence might not be one ofthe NFLs best, but it was good enough to give the Bills a chance to win games. The offence is what is holding this team back. A new OC, a new TE, some back up o-linemen, thats more of a need if playoffs are a must next year. FG's won't win games, they need to be a threat to score whenever they have the ball, and that will allow the defence to play a little more aggressive

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the bills get an upgrade next season when Schobel is back.

Are you sure about that? Is he going to come all the way back from his injury? His production has been declining since it peaked in 2006 and he will be 32 next season. I don't think that the Bills should rely on him coming back and single handedly rescuing one of the two or three worst pass rushes in the league.

Are you sure about that? Is he going to come all the way back from his injury? His production has been declining since it peaked in 2006 and he will be 32 next season. I don't think that the Bills should rely on him coming back and single handedly rescuing one of the two or three worst pass rushes in the league.

He may not come back at the same level, but he may also come back and play better then he has before. Who knows.

If you disagree with BADOLBILZ with respect to Mack, why don't you explain why. You have offered very generic statements about style of play, but nothing of substance. Why not add something constructive to the discussion.

Because its not a difference of opinion, he's flat out wrong. The facts he is saying are wrong. I respect differences in opinion, but when the facts you are using to make your opinion are false, there's no point in having the discussion. It would be like arguing that we need to add a possession receiver to the team because Josh Reed is a speed demon.

He may not come back at the same level, but he may also come back and play better then he has before. Who knows.

Ok, so then lets take your scenario and say that its correct. Schobel comes back next year and has 6 sacks. Is that enough for you? What about the other side?

Because its not a difference of opinion, he's flat out wrong. The facts he is saying are wrong. I respect differences in opinion, but when the facts you are using to make your opinion are false, there's no point in having the discussion. It would be like arguing that we need to add a possession receiver to the team because Josh Reed is a speed demon.

Not trying to be cute, but how is he wrong? I've read everywhere that Mack is one of the best OC prospects in years, we seem to have a glaring weakness at the OC position...natural fit? Seems like it. You disagree. OK, but why and how is Mack not a good fit for the Bills?

I have been saying for years now we need a TRUE center not some Converted G/T.

Could be coincedence and I am not stating either one is better than the other the eqully sucked in their own right but we were 5-1 with Melvin Fowler at center and 2-8 with Duke Preston <_<

Personally I think they both sucked and its time to pony up for a veteran Center(real center no converted one) or Draft C Alex Mack.

In reply to the title of the thread "Biggest Problem?", the biggest problem on this team is at DE. You are right, we do need a C.

I have been saying for years now we need a TRUE center not some Converted G/T.

I'm pretty sure that Preston was drafted as a C and the Bills moved him to G to take advantage of his versatility.

Sorry, but DE is a luxury at this point. the bills get an upgrade next season when Schobel is back. The offence needs work this offseason, otherwise the Bills could throw a brick wall out there for a defence and still lose cause this offence cannot score points. Improving the defence at this point will do nothing but make the pats game a slightly less of a blowout. The current defence might not be one ofthe NFLs best, but it was good enough to give the Bills a chance to win games. The offence is what is holding this team back. A new OC, a new TE, some back up o-linemen, thats more of a need if playoffs are a must next year. FG's won't win games, they need to be a threat to score whenever they have the ball, and that will allow the defence to play a little more aggressive

There's just no way that DE is a luxury. Our DE's had all of 8 sacks this year and on most plays were nowhere near even sniffing the QB. Add in Schobel's potential surgery and the fact that we finished 28th in the league in sacks, and there are a lot of good reasons to take a pass-rushing DE very high.

"James Kent Hull (born January 13, 1960 in Pontotoc, Mississippi) is a former American football offensive lineman in the National Football League and United States Football League. He played center for the New Jersey Generals of the USFL and Buffalo Bills of the NFL. A native of Greenwood, Mississippi and a graduate of Mississippi State University, Hull retired from football in January 1997 to settle down in the Mississippi Delta with his wife and two children."

Where does it state he was converted?????? <_<

"Richer was moved to guard from center by the Buffalo "

Where does it say he was converted TO Center he wasnt he was converted TO Guard???? ;)

Richter played center in college where he was the top lineman in college football.

Not trying to be cute, but how is he wrong? I've read everywhere that Mack is one of the best OC prospects in years, we seem to have a glaring weakness at the OC position...natural fit? Seems like it. You disagree. OK, but why and how is Mack not a good fit for the Bills?

I'm not denying Mack's talent or potential. I'm denying his style. Mack is the style of center who is very, very smart, can get out and block the linebackers, can pull, and is really agile. What he struggles with is when there's a man in front of him, and when he gets bull rushed one on one. That is not the style of center we need with the 3-4 defenses we face in our division. He's very good, just not in the way we need our center to be good in.

Caldwell is a very, very strong center, who excels in mowing over defensive tackles in the run game and handling the big men in the middle. I watched him dominate one of the best defensive tackles in all of college football, Peria Jerry, one on one all day long.

The reason why I said the poster's facts are wrong, is because he said Mack excels with a man over his face and Caldwell is more of a "move" center. Just completely the opposite of what they actually are. Its quite obvious that either 1.) he just reads what other people think online and has never watched these players, or 2.) he watched the players for himself, and is so bad at watching what he sees, that he can completely flip around the talents and weaknesses. When you're THAT far off base, there's no point in arguing.

Its the same as arguing that Trent excels at throwing the deep ball and JP is more of a game-managing QB.

I'm not denying Mack's talent or potential. I'm denying his style. Mack is the style of center who is very, very smart, can get out and block the linebackers, can pull, and is really agile. What he struggles with is when there's a man in front of him, and when he gets bull rushed one on one. That is not the style of center we need with the 3-4 defenses we face in our division. He's very good, just not in the way we need our center to be good in.

Caldwell is a very, very strong center, who excels in mowing over defensive tackles in the run game and handling the big men in the middle. I watched him dominate one of the best defensive tackles in all of college football, Peria Jerry, one on one all day long.

The reason why I said the poster's facts are wrong, is because he said Mack excels with a man over his face and Caldwell is more of a "move" center. Just completely the opposite of what they actually are. Its quite obvious that either 1.) he just reads what other people think online and has never watched these players, or 2.) he watched the players for himself, and is so bad at watching what he sees, that he can completely flip around the talents and weaknesses. When you're THAT far off base, there's no point in arguing.

Its the same as arguing that Trent excels at throwing the deep ball and JP is more of a game-managing QB.

I appreciate the comparison, thanks.

A couple follow-up questions because I don't know and you have seem to have watched both of the prospects.

Has Mack taken on big, college DTs right in his face (i.e. has he been tested in that situation in college)? Was he blown off the ball (or otherwise miserable against them)? Could he be good against the real big guys? If he can get to the second line and is very intelligent with respect to line calls he sounds great, but if he can't hold his own on the line against 3-4 NTs, we could be looking at Trey Teague II.

You seem to be advocating sticking with Preston for a year or two. Do you think Preston could be a decent center on the BIlls line, given our divisional opponents? I saw an inconsistent player who alternated good games with bad. As a 5th year vet who couldn't beat out Fowler, thats not good.

I personally feel our biggest needs are as follows.

DE

LB

C

TE

In that order. After that, it's pretty much a wash in my opinion. (I would understand if people wanted to bump TE above Center on that pecking order).

Every DT on our team besides Stroud is either a rotational type player, or completely sucks. Better DTs would make our LBs better players almost instantly.

While I do agree that we need another LB, they seem to be not do hard to find. I hope that they can grab one in free agency instead of using an early pick on one.

Jmo.

Ok, so then lets take your scenario and say that its correct. Schobel comes back next year and has 6 sacks. Is that enough for you? What about the other side?

If he comes back and has 6 sacks, thats fine if the defence plays at atleast the same level as this year and the offence learns how to score more then FG's and is a threat for more then 15-20 points a game

I'm pretty sure that Preston was drafted as a C and the Bills moved him to G to take advantage of his versatility.

There's just no way that DE is a luxury. Our DE's had all of 8 sacks this year and on most plays were nowhere near even sniffing the QB. Add in Schobel's potential surgery and the fact that we finished 28th in the league in sacks, and there are a lot of good reasons to take a pass-rushing DE very high.

So they improve the Sack total then, but what does that do? They don't get points for Sacks in the NFL, andthe biggest weakness on this team is that the offence struggled to score in more then half their games. They were never a threat to score when they would get the ball. Unless the defence is going to do all their scoring, theres noway that improving the offence is not the #1 and #2 concern this season. With an improved offence, the defence will look better.

It would be great to improve the defence, but that is going to do nothing at this time to make the Bills a playoff team next year. The Bills D was not a"dominating" defence this year, but they were good enough to make this team a playoff team, if only the offence was better then Sub Par