Curveball Draft Choice

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the front office is set on keeping our current group of DE's and a TE or center isnt rated high enough to draft in the 11 spot, I find Taylor Mays the 6-3 230lb safety from USC whos supposed to run a sub 4.4 40 a very tempting choice. They say you have to be strong in the middle and this guy certainly brings the wood every time he hits. As a Bills fan down here in Steeler country I certainly know what Polamalu brings. Thoughts?

if perry fewell is back, and it seems he is, the bills will continue with the crappy tampa 2 defense (which by the way, Rivers shedded for the winning touchdown last night, ), so the big thing there is NOT how hard they hit, the big thing is whether they can run and cover half the deep zone. Polamalu would fail in the tampa 2 scheme, he can't cover enough ground. Now, believe me I'd rather have a zone blitz defense and polamalu every day of the week, but considering the garbage scheme the bills will continue with it seems, until the day the owner dies and the team is sold and put into rationale thinking football guys hands, the cover 2 scheme is what the bills have, and big hitting safeties are not a good fit, as much as we would love to have them...

if perry fewell is back, and it seems he is, the bills will continue with the crappy tampa 2 defense (which by the way, Rivers shedded for the winning touchdown last night, ), so the big thing there is NOT how hard they hit, the big thing is whether they can run and cover half the deep zone. Polamalu would fail in the tampa 2 scheme, he can't cover enough ground. Now, believe me I'd rather have a zone blitz defense and polamalu every day of the week, but considering the garbage scheme the bills will continue with it seems, until the day the owner dies and the team is sold and put into rationale thinking football guys hands, the cover 2 scheme is what the bills have, and big hitting safeties are not a good fit, as much as we would love to have them...

as much as i dont like the tampa-2... 1. Rivers already LOST to our defense and 2. id hardly call a dump-off pass and a great run from Sproles "shredding" the defense.

If the front office is set on keeping our current group of DE's and a TE or center isnt rated high enough to draft in the 11 spot, I find Taylor Mays the 6-3 230lb safety from USC whos supposed to run a sub 4.4 40 a very tempting choice. They say you have to be strong in the middle and this guy certainly brings the wood every time he hits. As a Bills fan down here in Steeler country I certainly know what Polamalu brings. Thoughts?

During the Rose Bowl they said that Mays is the fastest player at USC! HE RAN A FREEKIN 4.28! That is ridiculous for a man his size, that is Bo Jackson-esque! That being said, he is not even the 4th best guy on the defense. I would take any of their LB's, Mathews, Mauluga, Cushing and Miavia(I know i have that spelled wrong!). I know he plays on a defense with a bunch of 5 star recruits so it is tough to stand out but he is not enough of a playmaker for me. Also, he never played LB, not even in high school. We already have one safety who was drafted to high and cant make a play to save his life, so lets concentrate on another position.

it's doubtful that Mays makes it out of the top 5 if his supposed measurables are backed up in the combine. The dude is a freak of nature - bigger and faster than polamalu and also a playmaker.

cmon, there must be better defensive players at ohio state with great character.

This is how you should draft.But to do it like that you have to fill needs through free agency.We need to see what the team does in the off season before all this draft talk will matter.

Whatever. This is why the Bills are where they are. They haven't drafted OL or DL successfully in a decade. You draft for need. can't keep drafting DBs and hope to be competitive.

Lessee, we have a screaming need for a better center

We desperately need a pass rush

Tight end and a great WR strong needs

You're probably right, best we can hope for the Bill's the front office to ignore all that and draft a safety

:D

My two cents - draft for value and do not reach for need. If Taylor Mays is the best player on the board when we pick, we either pick him or trade down. If I were picking, I would not have any problem picking him.

With our luck, he will be picked by San Fran just before we pick -- just like they did with Willis.

My two cents - draft for value and do not reach for need.

Why is this the en vogue answer among the "intellectual" class around here? This philosophy hasn't proven to be successful in Buffalo, why continue doing it? You know you have issues on the OL and DL...why not draft individuals to address the problem. So amount of secondary help will fix a bad DL.

Why is this the en vogue answer among the "intellectual" class around here? This philosophy hasn't proven to be successful in Buffalo, why continue doing it? You know you have issues on the OL and DL...why not draft individuals to address the problem. So amount of secondary help will fix a bad DL.

I'm usually a "best player available" kind of guy, but I agree with you that sometimes that doesn't work out with a team like Buffalo. Whereas most teams can confidently draft for need and fill holes through free agency and player development it seems the Bills have certain problem positions that never get addressed. So sometimes you might have to overspend in order to pick a high draft pick that potentially could fill that need.

I just finished posting this on another thread.

While ideally I wouldn't mind drafting a safety, what's the point in doing so under this defensive scheme? We run a defense that doesn't require natural, raw ability and skills. All we need are bodies to roam around in our soft prevent defense.

Mays would be a wasted pick, b/c we would waste his natural talents in our defense.

If we are going to throw a curveball, I'd rather it be a QB. If Stafford doesn't go in the top 3 picks, there's a chance he could fall to us.

Your opinion may not be that well received here, but if you don't have a QB in this league you can't have sustained success. For a team like Buffalo that doesn't otherwise do a very good job of drafting, utilizing or keeping key personnel, having top notch QB play is ESSENTIAL and can cover up a lot of weaknesses elsewhere. Even if they don't draft a QB early, they should draft one later to develop behind the durably suspect Edwards.

Stafford is a great prospect, he has a cannon for an arm, accuracy, touch...for fans of the passing game he is a treat to watch throw the ball...the only question is does he have that special ability to make good, quick decisions at the NFL level.

Simple. We have a great need at center. Is there any center worth taking ahead of Taylor Mays at pick 11. Last I heard, the top center(s) in this years draft do not even have a first round grade.

I would much rather get value for a pick than reach. It also has an effect on the cap.

In life, do you spend more for something than you have to?