Offensive Line Run Blocking finally came around...

Big Turk

Bills were awful running the ball for most of the year, but starting with the Cleveland game in mid November, they started run blocking much better. Not sure if it was a change of plays, change of attitude or a combination of both, but they clearly were much more effective running the ball than earlier in the year.

Since that game the Bills rushed 212 times for 1032 yards---an impressive 4.87 YPC, compared to the 227 attempts and 810 yards, for a 3.56 YPC before that game. On the strength of their finish, the Bills ranked 14th in rushing, and if they would have started the way they finished, would have been 8th overall in rushing.

Not sure what changes were made, but whatever they did, it worked extremely well. One positive for next year will be for the offensive line to start the year running the ball where they finished this year. IMHO, some of it may have to do with Peters finally getting back in game condition, but at the same time, this wouldn't explain all of it. If this line can stay healthy into training camp(hopefully with an upgraded center), the Bills could possibly be one of the better running teams in the NFL next year.

Just thought I would point out a key area of improvement over the last 6 or 7 games of the season, and how the Bills turned one of the worst running attacks in the NFL into one of the better ones...

I see no reason our RB's shouldnt carry the ball 30 times a game.....The less we put the ball in the air the better. Have to find ways to get the DB's to come up and respect the run.....When Buffalo sticks with the running game, shockingly the games are very close with the Bills winning......

The biggest change down the stretch was the Bills faced teams who couldn't stop the rush all year long.

Here's the opponent's rush defense ranks, Rush YPG Allowed and what the Bills did against those teams (from the point you mentioned, post-Browns game):

[u]Team		Rush Rank	Rush YPG	Bills’ Rushing Yards[/u]
KC		28		130.6		171
San Fran	22		118.5		156
Miami		32		153.5		84
NY Jets	        29		134.5		187
Denver		30 		142.6		87
NE		10		98.2		161

A bright spot is the Bills putting up 161 yards on the Pats' 10th-ranked rush defense on a crappy weather day when both teams knew the running game was going to carry the load.

It is a little disappointing to see that they failed to crack 100 yards against Denver and Miami, two of the worst run defenses in the league this year.

given the points we scored, or lack thereof, that 161 was not all that impressive. It was more the product of how much we ran than of running effectively.

given the points we scored, or lack thereof, that 161 was not all that impressive. It was more the product of how much we ran than of running effectively.

Absolutely, the shutout is very troubling. But we ran for 4.6 YPC, so it wasn't just a "we ran a lot" game - we were pretty effective with the run.

I just think it's a little impressive that we did rush for 161 and 4.6 YPC against the 10th-ranked defense on a day when the Pats knew we were going to have to run the ball a lot, and we were also without Marshawn.

I put that shutout more on the coaching staff that anyone else.

The biggest change down the stretch was the Bills faced teams who couldn't stop the rush all year long.

Here's the opponent's rush defense ranks, Rush YPG Allowed and what the Bills did against those teams (from the point you mentioned, post-Browns game):

KC		28		130.6		171
San Fran	22		118.5		156
Miami		32		153.5		84
Denver		30 		142.6		87
NE		10		98.2		161

A bright spot is the Bills putting up 161 yards on the Pats' 10th-ranked rush defense on a crappy weather day when both teams knew the running game was going to carry the load.

It is a little disappointing to see that they failed to crack 100 yards against Denver and Miami, two of the worst run defenses in the league this year.

161 yds rushing and zero points. Thats hard to do. Oh Im so glad we have Jauron back.

Add in a little wind to mess with the kicker, and its actually pretty easy when you have a junior varsity passing game coaching staff like the Bills do.

Fixed, because the Bills have at least a varsity passing game. :cry:

whatevah you nay sayers. the bills were running better, they made bigger holes and our backs got hit less in the back field. we put up 161 on NE in a game where in many instances passing was not an option against 9 in the box with our best lineman and running back out. that's a very strong performance and confirms that we were not running better just due to opponents not having as good run D, but because we were just running better.

we have lots of horrible things wrong with our o, but at least we have some run blocking and tough backs to work with.

Duke Preston took over at Center in week 7 (Oct. 19). Give a few weeks for gelling with the other linemen, and is it a convenient coincidence that the run game improved in the last 2 months of the season with a different Center.

KC		28		130.6		171
San Fran	22		118.5		156
Miami		32		153.5		84
Denver		30 		142.6		87
NE		10		98.2		161

um, dude, those numbers aren't correct.

according to NFL.com, here's the rankings of each team you posted in yards per game:

KC-30, SF-13, Mia-10, NYJ-7, Den-27, NE-15

um, dude, those numbers aren't correct.

according to NFL.com, here's the rankings of each team you posted in yards per game:

KC-30, SF-13, Mia-10, NYJ-7, Den-27, NE-15

Um, dude, check the NFL.com link

EDIT: Don't know why the NFL.com site defaulted to the 2007 numbers. My bad.

Yeah I saw that. But hey - thanks for being a dick while I was checking and editing, though. :censored:

awww, I'm sorry, did I hurt your feelings? I figured you might be able to handle a good-natured ribbing, but I guess not!

by the way, calling someone a name when they debunk your facts doesn't make you any more right. :cry:

awww, I'm sorry, did I hurt your feelings? I figured you might be able to handle a good-natured ribbing, but I guess not!

by the way, calling someone a name when they debunk your facts doesn't make you any more right. :cry:

Right, I get my feeling hurt by a message board poster. :censored:

And I wasn't calling you a dick for "debunking my facts." I was calling you a dick for not giving me a chance to correct the mistake before you starting crowing about it.

But I guess I won't ever find any mistakes in any of your posts, right?

Right, I get my feeling hurt by a message board poster. :cry:

And I wasn't calling you a dick for "debunking my facts." I was calling you a dick for not giving me a chance to correct the mistake before you starting crowing about it.

But I guess I won't ever find any mistakes in any of your posts, right?

ok, let's get this settled then. what's the standard elapsed time that someone opposing your point should wait before making their own, just so I know?

EDIT: on second thought, I did give you a chance, when I told you the numbers weren't right. You passed on your chance to check it then and went right to telling me I needed to look it up. I do like your picture, though.

Since the Bills made no progress or efforts to resolve the Jason Peters situation, the chances are excellent that he'll hold out again (or be traded). That may impact whatever improvement there was.

BTW, the Bills have virtually institutionalized the tradition that their OL will start out a season playing like garbage and slowly come on and start playing better. They've been doing that since Jim Kelly was under center.