Mangini out as Jets coach.

billieve420

Looks like Mangini is about to be fired. Probably goodwill gesture to Brett so that he decides to comes back and play next year. Fox Sports reported Brett didn't get along with Mangini that well.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/29/mangini-out/

Wow, a team owner who actually wants to win, and fires their coach after a winning season because he failed to make the playoffs again. What a concept!

Mangini had one playoff appearance in 3 seasons and gets the ax.

23-25 in three seasons and he's fired. NYJ made huge investments in Favre, Faneca, Pace, et al, but could not win with EM.

Sadly, 21-27 is probably good enough in Buffalo for DJ. I still don't understand what there is to evaluate about the HC here, unless of course they're reviewing the loss to cut DJ or keep him and realize a significant decline in season tickets that will occur next season.

Brett should retire.

hindsight is 20-20, but reaching for a guy, even one as gifted as favre, after he retires from a storied career as THE Green Bay Packer, then decides to come back, never made much sense to me. forget the picks, forget the cannon arm, etc--why bring a guy in who's 56 years old and has been waffling on retirement for the last couple years?

brett should have stayed retired.

I like most of his in-game strategy and decisions. He's a smart coach. I think this year, he was a victim of Favre's poor decision making.

Agreed. Yesterday's game is a perfect example, Favre just killed the Jets. He should be charged with murdering Mangini's career.

I don't know if Mangini will be the best available option, but he's light years better than Jauron.

I would like for the Bills to hire Mangini as HC. These coaches that get fired like that love to come back and prove their worth with a new club. He'd have an ax to grind with the Jets for years to come and he's proven that his team can actually beat the New England Belichecks.

Agreed. Yesterday's game is a perfect example, Favre just killed the Jets. He should be charged with murdering Mangini's career.

I don't know if Mangini will be the best available option, but he's light years better than Jauron.

The Jets stink and their coaching stinks. IMO, Favre made the Jets this year, and was easily the main reason that they started out so strong, as well as finished 10-6. Sure, he totally sucked the last few weeks, and made ridiculous (horrid) Favre-like decisions and passes throughout the year, but he also made ridiculous (fabulous) Favre-like passes most all year, and there was talk about him being MVP two-thirds of the way throughout the year. he made their running game go because teams were terrified of crowding the line against him. He made average backs and receivers and tight ends and an under-acheiving line into a pretty potent offense until he just wore down (and I totallly agree he was terrible the last five games or so). But that's when the without-Favre Jets were exposed. I think their coaching is terrible, and most Jets fans do, too.

If they are firing him to accommodate Favre the Jets organization is retarded. Favre was horrendous the last half of the season, and nothing Mangini could do would have helped. If they are firing him because they just don't think he can coach, and are not merely placating a washed-up Farve, than I respect what they are trying to accomplish.

The biggest reason that Mangini may look good as a HC is that he played two games against Jauron. I still think that accepting a 3rd down penalty back in Nov was a huge mistake and the only reason that no one talks about it is because Edwards through the INT to Elam. But you cannot coach to a potential INT to save bad decisions. Just like Jauron is too cautious, Mangini is too cavlaier.

Absolutely agree. But I think Ralph is going to let DJ twist in the wind a while and see who's available. If he doesn't think there is a better option, DJ will return--hard as that is for us to swallow. I just don't think Mangini is Ralph's type of hire.

I listened to the Jets press conference and a reporter asked Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum, and I am paraphrasing, "You are the one that signed Favre and that was a disaster, why is Eric Mangini the scapegoat?" The NY media, gotta love em'!

Having said that I wouldn't touch Mangini. I would be interested in Jets OC Brian Schottenheimer in some capacity though. Not sure he's ready to be a HC yet.

I still think that accepting a 3rd down penalty back in Nov was a huge mistake and the only reason that no one talks about it is because Edwards through the INT to Elam.

Very true, that bonehead move would go down in the "Morninwhig taking the wind in OT @Chicago" category if Elam doesn't make that play.