To be fair to Trent

ieatcrayonz

He doesn't play well in bad weather.......how did the competing QBs play. Not better. How did he do vs Cutler? He beat him. He beat Miami last year in bad weather. He beat Washington last year in rainy 40 degree weather.

The three horrible weather games (yesterday, Cleveland and Giants last year) he outplayed or played as well as the opposing QB (Eli Manning was horrendous last year in those conditions...Giants won by rushing for 300+yards). You have to look at the conditions and the play calling too people.

Yes, he was terrible against San Fran and Cleveland.

The jury is still out on him but he does possess some things that are the most valuable at QB, namely smarts, good decision making, and accuracy. He is just so inconsistent and the Bills do not have enough talent on defense or offense to compensate at all for a bad QB. When he has a QB rating of over 80 the Bills are 10-0.

We will see with another year, but to criticize his play yesterday is pretty ridiculous. V Carucci gave him a B yesterday as he passed pretty well and accurately for 60mph winds.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he is better than any of those QB's but I do like his potential to be a pretty good starter for this team.

I see both the good and bad in Trent as I did in JP. I think Trent is good at quick decision making when getting blitzed or rushed but oddly, when given the time in the pocket, seems to struggle in getting the ball to his receivers and hesitates when he should make the throw. He has good velocity on his short to medium throws but when he goes deep, I tend to cringe and wonder if it will get underthrown. In good weather conditions, he can look All-Pro, and but when the weather sours, his play ranges from bad to terrible. Against a 4-3 or Cover 2, he's an all-star....against a 3-4, he's Ryan Leaf.....

I think a lot of that can be fixed thru offseason work and good coaching which is why I'd like to see one more year out of the kid before I pass judgment on him. I just think its funny that some people think he's the cat's meow when he really hasn't done that much to warrant such praise that should be reserved for established QBs like Manning, Brady...etc. To me, he's no different than a Flacco or a Ryan in that he's young, got some skills to work with but needs to be refined and seen play over various circumstances before you can truly determine his worth as a QB.

I'm not going to blindly love the guy now because he's "not JP".

And I notice you didn't bother to ask my subjective question, which shows your "Trent bias". As if your handle didn't give you away...

As for my garbage man bias, do a little research and see that I wanted him gone at the beginning of the season as he served no purpose in a Bills uniform. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good argument, right?

Sorry, I went a little heavy on you. Yes, I am pro-Trent because he is the current QB of my Buffalo Bills who has demonstrated enough to hang onto the title. Unlike the other guy, Trent doesn't melt as soon the ball is hiked.

I was at the Jets game last week. As soon as the the ball is hiked to JP, he goes into crisis mode looking to run away "out of the pocket." The only time he looked good was on their six play TD where he took three step drops and fired the ball--no time to think, I guess.

We can win with Trent if you build around him--you can't with JP and now that he is gone, maybe these bs debates will go away. But, I don't think they will until Trent is run out of town. Why? Because the Garbage boy fans will find something wrong with Trent until he is gone. Otherwise, they will have been proven wrong.

Here are the facts:

[b]Some JP apologists WANT Trent to fail even at the cost of the Bills losing.[/b]

If Trent succeeds it becomes more personal to them.

It just cements the fact that us so-called "Trent-lickers" know more about the game than they do and that is where all their angst stems from. Trent succeeding is basically a validation of their lack of football knowledge and instincts.

The above is sad but true.

Remember, the only people in the United States that think JP is any good are a few fanboys on this board, and I suspect that much of their love for him is non-football related. They will defend him, despite loss after horrible loss, come hell or high water.

The thing is, his ship has sailed. JP Losman is gone yet the bitterness lives on.

KTFBD always thought more of Losman than I did. Read his posts if you want to read something sensible and objective about JP.

The above is sad but true.

Remember, the only people in the United States that think JP is any good are a few fanboys on this board, and I suspect that much of their love for him is non-football related. They will defend him, despite loss after horrible loss, come hell or high water.

The thing is, his ship has sailed. JP Losman is gone yet the bitterness lives on.

KTFBD always thought more of Losman than I did. Read his posts if you want to read something sensible and objective about JP.

To be fair, I think some of the dislike for JP is non-football related as well (present company excluded of course).

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Why is it that Matt Cassel (from Northridge, CA) can play in the same weather that Trentie can't tolerate? Any excuses explanations, Trent-lickers?

Did Belichick* maybe peel that section off the field house roof and spy on our Bills installing their 'game plan'?

Let's do an experiment.

Send the Pats staff and coaches to Buffalo

Send the Bills staff and coaches to NE

Take notes

agreed!! Trent may not be Jim Kelly circa 1991 right not, but he's the best we've had in years. Outside of that miserable 4 game slide he has protected the ball pretty well despite below average pass protection. He's sort of a game manager now, but thats how Roethlisberger and McNabb were there first couple years in the league. I say give him some slack, he's a smart kid who will continue to get better, until then we've got bigger fish to fry.

True. But I'm tired of waiting for young/rookie QBs to come around. We haven't done a great job of grooming QBs. Even Kelly had Marchibroda. It's time for us to get a proven/solid vet QB to come in and tutor/mentor Edwards. The only way he'll learn is by playing. But he's learning curve will accelerate when we have a guy who "knows" how to play in the elements.

If/when Trent struggles we all don't stand around holding our jockstraps for him to get it. Ala Collins/Young in TN.

Miami drafted Henne but you didn't see them wait when they got Pennington.

Great post, but you are wasting your time. Remember, you are talking to the lovelorn. Their darling has departed, and they need some time to grieve.

What has that got to do with anything. I'm an Edwards supporter. But yesterday was the third "elements" game he's struggled in.

C

What has that got to do with anything. I'm an Edwards supporter. But yesterday was the third "elements" game he's struggled in.

C

It has nothing to do with anything, of course. But that's the standard playbook. See criticism of Edwards incoming - deflect to JP and make an insulting reference to the poster's "crush" on JP. Really, it's beyond tiresome and into farcical at this point.

Of course, the only seasons that they both were starters for the full season, IMO, JP played better. And no, I am not saying that he is a better fit, or that we should keep him, or that he didn't suck ass this season. But with a worse line, far worse running game, and probably worse coaching, with a much worse defense, against a much tougher schedule, JP finished with the same record and better stats. One could say that it was Losman's third season and Edwards' second, but then one would also have to take into consideration most of Losman's first season was lost and that he started two years of college ball in a lousy conference and Trent started four years in the Pac 10 (meaning their experience was fairly equal).

I like Trent. I think he should stay and Losman should and must go. Trent still has a decent chance to be a high quality QB in this league, but there are a lot of question marks about him still, and he had the same problems this year as he did last year, and he needs to improve his game dramatically. There are a few things he does pretty darn well but he didn't even do those things for about half the year.

Very well put. Taken as a whole, Trent's performance has not been good enough. We need better QB play to make the playoffs. Trent may improve enough that he provides that better QB play, or he may not. I don't think anyone wants to ditch Trent at this point, but looking at things with a rational eye, we should be well-prepared in case he falls on his face.

But yesterday was the third "elements" game he's struggled in.

How could any quarterback not struggle in 70 mph winds?

Our team, no matter who is at qb, is not built to play outdoors in cold weather. I have read your posts, and I am sure that you understand this.

When we had the wind yesterday, NE had the ball for much of the time. Why? Because they were grinding out yardage against our small, weak defensive line. Our large, weak offensive line seems to do better at pass protection than at run blocking, and these games are won and lost up front. How much help was our stable of first round dbs? NE was also missing key starters, but the held the ball for 32 minutes to our 28. They are built for the elements, and they are well coached.

Now, did Trent have a great game? No. Did he make stupid mistakes? No. Dick Jauron and Marv Levy (in a symbolic way) lost this game for us, not Trent.

C

Don't see how he "struggled" that much. Not following... Best SEVERE elements performance he's had by far.

Very well put. Taken as a whole, Trent's performance has not been good enough. We need better QB play to make the playoffs. Trent may improve enough that he provides that better QB play, or he may not. I don't think anyone wants to ditch Trent at this point, but looking at things with a rational eye, we should be well-prepared in case he falls on his face.

Not trying to start up again, but do you really think JP had a better season (I'm thinking you are referring to '06 when he had an 85 QB rating)? You realize that he was sacked 47 times with 13 fumbles--seven LOST. He was the proverbial rally killer. The fact is JP causes sacks--he has no pocket presence and the fact he can throw 75 yard bombs to Lee to elevate his QB rating doesn't mean he had the better season. The guy doesn't know how to win--he's an accident waiting to happen a la the Jets game. That's what I don't get with some of you fans. I just don't see anything good.

At least Trent has a chance to be good and performed before his concussion. Granted, his injury bug poses a problem and he may not be the long-term solution because of it.

It has nothing to do with anything, of course. But that's the standard playbook. See criticism of Edwards incoming - deflect to JP and make an insulting reference to the poster's "crush" on JP. Really, it's beyond tiresome and into farcical at this point.

It's hysterical, really - I'm certainly not a fan of the way either QB has performed, but the Trent guys so need to be right that any criticism of their boy evokes a kneejerk response with accusations of JP man-love. You criticize their boy Trent, and you're automatically a flaming lover of JP Losman. Something like this...

"Gee, Trent looked shaky out there today! His play seems to be regressing, I wonder what's wrong?"

"Oh yeah? You and the rest of JP's fanboys just can't accept the fact that Losman sucks and always will!"

It's now become so comical that I pile on Trentie-boy on purpose, just to see how many nano-seconds pass before Bill, thebug, etc., fly into fits of apoplectic rage and unleash their homophobic insults, all while invoking the exact same excuses for Trent's boneheaded mishaps that they accuse JP's fans of making for him!

(No tight end, no second WR, injuries, schitty weather, schitty coaching, schitty offensive coordinator, schitty offensive line, schitty play-calling...)

Hey, wait...maybe it's our glove-wearing, injury-prone Trentie-boy that's schitty?

How could any quarterback not struggle in 70 mph winds?

Our team, no matter who is at qb, is not built to play outdoors in cold weather. I have read your posts, and I am sure that you understand this.

When we had the wind yesterday, NE had the ball for much of the time. Why? Because they were grinding out yardage against our small, weak defensive line. Our large, weak offensive line seems to do better at pass protection than at run blocking, and these games are won and lost up front. How much help was our stable of first round dbs? NE was also missing key starters, but the held the ball for 32 minutes to our 28. They are built for the elements, and they are well coached.

Now, did Trent have a great game? No. Did he make stupid mistakes? No. Dick Jauron and Marv Levy (in a symbolic way) lost this game for us, not Trent.

Cassel didn't seem to struggle at all. Wasn't afraid to throw it into the wind, either. Didn't do it often, but he completed crucial passes into the wind. Put 'em right where they needed to be. Had some zip on 'em too. Went 6 for 8. (Then again, he's from Northridge, CA so the cold weathe...oh, never mind.)

It's hysterical, really - I'm certainly not a fan of the way either QB has performed, but the Trent guys so need to be right that any criticism of their boy evokes a kneejerk response with accusations of JP man-love. You criticize their boy Trent, and you're automatically a flaming lover of JP Losman. Something like this...

"Gee, Trent looked shaky out there today! His play seems to be regressing, I wonder what's wrong?"

"Oh yeah? You and the rest of JP's fanboys just can't accept the fact that Losman sucks and always will!"

It's now become so comical that I pile on Trentie-boy on purpose, just to see how many nano-seconds pass before Bill, thebug, etc., fly into fits of apoplectic rage and unleash their homophobic insults, all while invoking the exact same excuses for Trent's boneheaded mishaps that they accuse JP's fans of making for him!

(No tight end, no second WR, injuries, schitty weather, schitty coaching, schitty offensive coordinator, schitty offensive line, schitty play-calling...)

Hey, wait...maybe it's our glove-wearing, injury-prone Trentie-boy that's schitty?

JP sucks! B-)

Some people cant realize that criticism of edwards does not mean that the poster wants JP starting or think JP could do better.

I see many flaws in Trents game..I would rather him be less injury prone..I would like him to be confident enough in his game and position so that when a play doesnt come in on time he can take charge and run something succesful, an example wouldve been during the 2 minute drill at the end of the half with all the confusion he shouldve stepped up and called a play instead of letting the clock run out..He has to learn to throw the ball and take chances at key points in the game and let his players make plays..Look what Delhomme did with Steve Smith in double coverage at the end of the game..He gave his receiver a chance to make a play he made it they won..Those are some major flaws he has to overcome..If he does great if not bring on the next one..

With that said I am so glad I never have to watch a BUffalo Bills offense run by JP again.. B-)