Bills should make a run at Matt Cassell sign as FA/trade if they franc

Willis990

Was that an attempt to say that Trent doesn't have time to throw? Because I haven't seen him take a 3 step drop and release the ball after the 3rd step since the San Diego game. He routinely stands back there and holds onto the ball.

It's just the standard reflexive response of people who have based their past 2 years of posting on ripping JP. Apparently even the fact that he's gone after 1 more week isn't enough for them to engage a criticism of Edwards on its merits. I bet some of the sharper ones will continue this act into next season.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then, maybe the question to you is do you trust Trent Edwards to both play well and stay healthy? My guess is you do. 6 years of missing games to injury says he won't.

Again...my point isn't that I'm sold on Edwards. My point is wouldn't it be a prudent move to sign a veteran backup to cheaper money and less years (Griese, Kerry Collins, et. al) than throwing a boat load of money and a long term contract to a guy who just sat on the bench for seven years before cracking the lineup oh a 16-0 team with as soft a schedule as you can get? Like I said, if there is a Drew Brees type guy out there by all means break the bank. This guy ain't no Brees.

No, by my standard, past history is an indicator of future results. That's how decisions need to be made. By your standard, Peyton Manning could have Tommy John surgery three weeks from now. He's still the better player than Edwards. I mean let's not foresake logic as an excuse to continue failing. And btw, the issue with Trent isn't that he might get hurt some year, it's that he gets hurt EVERY year.

Did you read my post? I said above that there are a few guys who seem to be fairly indestructible for whatever reason. They constitute a very small minority of NFL players. Manning falls in that category. We have no idea if Cassell does. And when did I come anywhere near implying that Manning is not a better player than Edwards (as your post suggests)? Seriously, you can do better than that. Like I said, I think it's best to wait a couple of years and toss the college stuff out (and not that it means much, but he didn't miss any time his junior season) before making such sweeping assertions.

If the Bills had an offensive line like the Pats*, I'm sure Edwards would look alot better then he has.

Weird to say it, but I would take our O-line over theirs. With Moss and Welker, its rare they see 8 men in the box which helps.

Edwards is progressing extremely well for a 2nd year QB.

The guy gets his brains scrambled and had a tough run but he is hardly the only one worthy blaming during our losing streak... When Josh Reed went down our O went south as well...

We're sticking with Edwards and will only sign a vet QB who can mentor and is willing to be a backup...

Edwards is progressing extremely well for a 2nd year QB.

The guy gets his brains scrambled and had a tough run but he is hardly the only one worthy blaming during our losing streak... When Josh Reed went down our O went south as well...

We're sticking with Edwards and will only sign a vet QB who can mentor and is willing to be a backup...

But Josh Reed isnt our # receiver so why should it matter if he went down or not players go down all the time and the teams still manage to win games this is a piss poor excuse to defend a QB who only throws to RBS and Josh Reed!!!!!

Guest dog14787
Cassel is going to be a 40-50 million dollar mistake this offseason.

Depends on where he goes, if its a team like say the Eagles he fits in great and he probably takes them into to the playoffs. Cassel doesn't have a cannon of an arm but he's smart and very well coached.

Well then, maybe the question to you is do you trust Trent Edwards to both play well and stay healthy? My guess is you do. 6 years of missing games to injury says he won't.

Maybe he will stay healthier if the team is more well rounded. I think for a guy with 1 1/2 years under his belt, he is doing just fine.

The Bills have no identity, and a piss poor coach. They are a small weak team with big fat blockers who don't do very well on running plays. They have no tight end. They have a defense which is easy to run and pass on, thus forcing Trent to play catchup more often than not.

I have very high hopes for the kid, but I agree with you in the sense that if he is forced to carry the team, he is being set up for injury and failure. Dick Levy is going nowhere. The Bills brass is a circle jerk; a rudderless ship with no captain. I feel like Trent can be as good as he needs to be for us to win, but not when the most important needs of the team are disregarded and the least important are stressed by Dick Levy.

Maybe he will stay healthier if the team is more well rounded. I think for a guy with 1 1/2 years under his belt, he is doing just fine.

The Bills have no identity, and a piss poor coach. They are a small weak team with big fat blockers who don't do very well on running plays. They have no tight end. They have a defense which is easy to run and pass on, thus forcing Trent to play catchup more often than not.

I have very high hopes for the kid, but I agree with you in the sense that if he is forced to carry the team, he is being set up for injury and failure. Dick Levy is going nowhere. The Bills brass is a circle jerk; a rudderless ship with no captain. I feel like Trent can be as good as he needs to be for us to win, but not when the most important needs of the team are disregarded and the least important are stressed by Dick Levy.

Funny how you never gave the previous QB this exact same benefit of the doubt. Seems he was "groomed" under this same rudderless ship without a captain, no?

21 TD passes 3650 yards +10 t/o ratio. He is better than Edwards now and was a higher rated prospect coming out of HS than Edwards. Also he has a much better arm and has had great coaching for 4+ years.

Stupid idea, plain and simple. Trent is a better QB, and will be far better than Cassel ever will be. You guys need to wake up and realize this isn't fantasy football, watch the games instead of the boxscores.

21 TD passes 3650 yards +10 t/o ratio. He is better than Edwards now and was a higher rated prospect coming out of HS than Edwards. Also he has a much better arm and has had great coaching for 4+ years.

Cassell is the next Scott Mitchell waiting to happen...he will get a huge contract, go to another team, have 1 more good year then fade into obscurity again...

Patriots will franchise him, then trade him for multiple draft picks to some stupid team like the Lions...Edwards clearly has the ability to be a very good if not great QB in this league and just needs some more experience to help with consistency. No one cares about how Cassell or Edwards were rated coming out of HS. Cassell had the benefit of taking the reins of a team that was 16-0 last year, I mean let's get real here...