Bills should make a run at Matt Cassell sign as FA/trade if they franc

Willis990

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 TD passes 3650 yards +10 t/o ratio. He is better than Edwards now and was a higher rated prospect coming out of HS than Edwards. Also he has a much better arm and has had great coaching for 4+ years.

Cassell is also HEALTHY with a solid frame. When Trent is on, he's on. But he is FRAGILE. Face it. The guy got hit about 5 times yesterday and I thought the ref was going to have to red card the defense for all the writhing agony Trent was experiencing. FRAGILE. Quarterback is the deciding position in the league and when you tie your wagon to a fragile one you are just asking for an enormous collapse when they get hurt. Check out the ups and downs of the Jets with and without Pennington prior to letting him go.

As for the people like Todd who are dissing your post, don't worry about it. Those assclowns are ALWAYS wrong and have no balls at all.

You do realize that Cassel took over a team that went 16-0 in the regular season last year? He wan't taking over a young team with a overpaid and suspect O-Line and a team coming off an overachieved 7-9 season. Cassel most likely wouldn't have done any better than Edwards has on this team. Some team is going to overpay drastically for Cassel and I am sure it won't be and very glad that it won't be Buffalo. Put Edwards on the Pats this year and they do just as good if not better, mainly because up there you become part of a system that has been working for years, not one struggling to find it's identity like the Bills are. No Thanks, let the Jets over pay and they won't have anymore than they have with Favre this year.

Ralph isn't going to pay Cassell's asking price so it's most likely a moot point.

Ralph may be enigmatic, but the talk about him being chronically cheap is absolute horsesh*t. This is the same guy that just 2 offseasons ago signed the $7M per year check for an offensive guard who had never sniffed a Pro Bowl. During the Bills SB runs a number of Bills were routinely the top paid players in the NFL. Kelly, Smith and Thomas. I don't expect the Bills to sign Cassell, but it is far from out of the question.

You do realize that Cassel took over a team that went 16-0 in the regular season last year? He wan't taking over a young team with a overpaid and suspect O-Line and a team coming off an overachieved 7-9 season. Cassel most likely wouldn't have done any better than Edwards has on this team. Some team is going to overpay drastically for Cassel and I am sure it won't be and very glad that it won't be Buffalo. Put Edwards on the Pats this year and they do just as good if not better, mainly because up there you become part of a system that has been working for years, not one struggling to find it's identity like the Bills are. No Thanks, let the Jets over pay and they won't have anymore than they have with Favre this year.

Put Edwards on the Pats and he misses half the season with injuries. Wake up and smell it folks, the guy is injury prone.

He is better than Edwards now and was a higher rated prospect coming out of HS than Edwards.

Trent Edwards...

In High School: One of the premiere recruits in the nation in 2001 ... Rated among the top quarterback prospects in the country by every recruiting publication ... USA Today ranked Trent the No. 1 passing quarterback in the nation ... Student Sports ranked him as the No. 2 quarterback prospect in the nation ... He was named an All-American by SuperPrep, PrepStar, Parade, Student Sports and Tom Lemming's Report, to name a few ... Member of the PrepStar's "Dream Team" and the Student Sports Top 101 ... Lemming named him the No. 7 QB in the nation and the No. 15 overall recruit ... Parade ranked him the No. 3 quarterback in the country, PrepStar ranked Trent the No. 4 QB in the nation while SuperPrep had him No. 7 ... In his junior and senior seasons at Los Gatos HS, he not only led the team to a 26-0 record and back-to-back Central Coast Section Division III championships, but he also posted very impressive numbers: 279-of-373, 5,064 yards, 58 touchdowns and just seven interceptions ... His completion percentage was an astounding 75% ... As a senior, he was named the CCS Player of the Year by the San Jose Mercury News, First-Team All-State by Cal-Hi Sports, First-Team All-League, DeAnza League MVP and First-Team All-CCS ... He completed 154-of-213 (.723) for 2,535 yards, 29 TD and three interceptions ... As a junior, he was named First-Team All-League and All-CCS, First-Team All-State Underclassman and First-Team Junior All-American ... He set a state record with a completion percentage of .781 (125-of-160) ... He also threw for 2,529 yards with 29 touchdowns and just four interceptions ... National Football Foundation Hall of Fame Scholar-Athlete for Santa Clara County following his senior season.

Matt Cassell

High school: Attended Chatsworth (Cal.) High School...1999 Super Prep All-American, Prep Star All-American, Tom Lemming Top 100, Super Prep All-Farwest, Tom Lemming All-West, Long Beach Press-Telegram Best in the West first team, Orange County Register Fab 15 third team, Tacoma News Tribune Western 100, Las Vegas Sun Super 11 second team and All-L.A. City second team pick as a senior quarterback...Completed 137-of-261 passes (52.5%) for 2,020 yards with 14 touchdownss and 5 interceptions in 1999, plus ran for 252 yards on 115 carries (2.2 avg) with 11 touchdowns...In one game, he passed for 324 yards with 5 scores...As a junior in 1998, he was named to the Student Sports Junior All-American, All-L.A. City first team, Los Angeles Times All-Valley, Los Angeles Daily News All-Valley second team and All-League...Hit on 199-of-360 passes (55.3%) for 2,930 yards with 26 touchdowns and 7 interceptions as a junior and also rushed for 496 yards with 6 scores... Chatsworth won the L.A. City 3-A title in 1998...Also a fine baseball player, he helped Chatsworth to the L.A. City title in 1999 while hitting .390 with 3 home runs and 29 RBI as a first baseman and third baseman.

x2

Did we not learn our lesson?

Exactly what lessons HAVE the Bills learned the past 9 years? Donahoe comes in, they make overly drastic cuts to the roster and decide they want to replace their big run stopper go with a smaller, undersized DL. Levy comes in and the make overly drastic cuts to the roster and decide to go with a smaller, undersized DL instead of the one they had just repaired. Anyone who can't see the parallels in the repeated mistakes the Bills have made is blind.

As for Patriots QB's, Bledsoe was awful in Belichick/Weis' offense. Cassell is outstanding. Big difference.

Check out the ups and downs of the Jets with and without Pennington prior to letting him go.

As for the people like Todd who are dissing your post, don't worry about it. Those assclowns are ALWAYS wrong and have no balls at all.

Do you watch the NFL or did I suddenly and unexpectedly forget my understanding of the English language? Both (Jets and Fins) are fighting for the division title after coming no where near to even licking the mud off of the Pats cleats. Both have better Quarterback play, even though on of them (Farve) leads the NFL in interceptions. Both are a helluva lot better now than they were last year mainly because of the quarterback. What was your point again?

Do you watch the NFL or did I suddenly and unexpectedly forget my understanding of the English language? Both (Jets and Fins) are fighting for the division title after coming no where near to even licking the mud off of the Pats cleats. Both have better Quarterback play, even though on of them (Farve) leads the NFL in interceptions. Both are a helluva lot better now than they were last year mainly because of the quarterback. What was your point again?

Perhaps you are unfamialar with the history of Chad Pennington. Pennington is very effective on the whole, but he can't stay healthy. The Jets finally decided to get rid of Pennington because he couldn't stay healthy and it totally f'd up their seasons when he couldn't play or wasn't healthy.

Pennington is where he belongs, in a warm sterile environment in Miami where he has his best chance to stay healthy and not have to deal with the northern winds that play havoc with his softball tosses. But he will not repeat next year. No way, no how.

Edwards has the potential to be the Bills version of Pennington, except I'm not sure Trent could actually put even one full season together because unlike Chad's sore shoulder, Trents ailments are MANY. The list of injuries that have cost him games the past 6 years is getting pretty long, and one of them IS shoulder and he can't survive losing much more off his fastball playing in the wind tunnel that is RWS.

But the Bills never learn. You don't make a living by defying odds. Past history IS indicative of future results.

Perhaps you are unfamialar with the history of Chad Pennington. Pennington is very effective on the whole, but he can't stay healthy. The Jets finally decided to get rid of Pennington because he couldn't stay healthy and it totally f'd up their seasons when he couldn't play or wasn't healthy.

Pennington is where he belongs, in a warm sterile environment in Miami where he has his best chance to stay healthy and not have to deal with the northern winds that play havoc with his softball tosses. But he will not repeat next year. No way, no how.

Edwards has the potential to be the Bills version of Pennington, except I'm not sure Trent could actually put even one full season together because unlike Chad's sore shoulder, Trents ailments are MANY. The list of injuries that have cost him games the past 6 years is getting pretty long, and one of them IS shoulder and he can't survive losing much more off his fastball playing in the wind tunnel that is RWS.

But the Bills never learn. You don't make a living by defying odds. Past history IS indicative of future results.

The Jests also parted with Pennington because he has proven to only be able to take a team so far, whether he is healthy or not. He's pretty darn good, and extremely intelligent, but his physical limitations have always ultimately killed him and kept him and his team from being great. That's why he immediately made the Dolphins a better team, and he was perfect for them this year, and yet they aren't going anywhere with him this year or next or the next. IMO, Pennington is the Marty Schottenheimer of quarterbacks, and I really wouldn't want him on my team, except perhaps as a back-up, because the goal is not to win 10-11 games, the goal is the win a Super Bowl, and I was never ever scared of a Chad Pennington team winning the Super Bowl.

As usual, you will be wrong again.

Right back at you, sporto. When Cassel doesn't have Moss, Welker, and Faulk to throw to, he won't look so hot. Moss made Culpepper's career, and look at Culpepper now. Cassel will be no different and look like every other player that leaves the Putz' system. Book it.

The Jests also parted with Pennington because he has proven to only be able to take a team so far, whether he is healthy or not. He's pretty darn good, and extremely intelligent, but his physical limitations have always ultimately killed him and kept him and his team from being great. That's why he immediately made the Dolphins a better team, and he was perfect for them this year, and yet they aren't going anywhere with him this year or next or the next. IMO, Pennington is the Marty Schottenheimer of quarterbacks, and I really wouldn't want him on my team, except perhaps as a back-up, because the goal is not to win 10-11 games, the goal is the win a Super Bowl, and I was never ever scared of a Chad Pennington team winning the Super Bowl.

Actually the Dols are likely to win the division, because I don't see the Jets beating them (or the Bills beating the Pats, which is moot if the Dols win). But they'll probably at-best win their home playoff game, lose the next game, and Pennington won't have as good a season next year, and the Dols will fall back to earth as a result.

As for the Jets, they know what they had in Pennington and took a chance with Favre. I can't fault them for that, although it backfired, mostly because the defense regressed badly and Favre fatigued.

Right back at you, sporto. When Cassel doesn't have Moss, Welker, and Faulk to throw to, he won't look so hot. Moss made Culpepper's career, and look at Culpepper now. Cassel will be no different and look like every other player that leaves the Putz' system. Book it.

You are the Dick Jauron of opinions.

21 TD passes 3650 yards +10 t/o ratio. He is better than Edwards now and was a higher rated prospect coming out of HS than Edwards. Also he has a much better arm and has had great coaching for 4+ years.

Please stop this insanity. Please.

Anybody that thinks Bill Parcells is looking at Chad Pennington as anything more than a stop-gap caretaker for his offense while he continues to rebuild the Dolphins for a real Super Bowl run is self-deluded. Parcells isn't going to sit on South Beach, watching the bikinis, and assuming his job is over after a good run this season. I'm sure he understands that this year the AFC East caught a big break and played a big-time patsy schedule.

Funny if Cassel ends up a Dolphin, eh?