Just for HA HA's Lets go Back to the 2006 Draft

Poeticlaw

We all know hindsight is 20/20 but if we really took the 2005 season and said now way JP is a starting QB and knew the JOb wa open for Competition in 2006. Would you have taken Jay Cutler (11th pick) with the 8th pick instead of Whitner or would you have stayed the course????

ME I would have taking Cutler then we wouldnt be looking for a QB anymore :lol:

We all know hindsight is 20/20 but if we really took the 2005 season and said now way JP is a starting QB and knew the JOb wa open for Competition in 2006. Would you have taken Jay Cutler (11th pick) with the 8th pick instead of Whitner or would you have stayed the course????

Hindsight is 20/20 - there were no guarantees that Cutler would become what he has. Not to mention Shanahann is a better QB / Head coach.

Hindsight is 20/20 - there were no guarantees that Cutler would become what he has. Not to mention Shanahann is a better QB / Head coach.

AHH but JP was a projected 2nd rounder just like Mcargo and WE mad them first round picks. CUTLER WAS a first round top 20 pick! :lol:

For every Jay Cutler there is a Ryah Leaf, Matt Lienart, Vince Young, etc... It's a crap shoot.

What about that Thigpen guy for Kansas City? He looks like he will become something and he was a 7th rounder or undrafted.

YOu can't have a what if from NFL Drafts. It's a crap shoot.

If I remember correctly, Levy actually said he had Cutler rated higher than Leinart. That's why a house-cleaning is needed in the organization. Too many people married to the losing decisions of the past. Look at Parcells and Miami. He didn't let Beck preclude him from getting Pennington and drafting Henne.

AHH but JP was a projected 2nd rounder just like Mcargo and WE mad them first round picks. CUTLER WAS a first round top 20 pick! :lol:

Put it this way .. If we happened to have picked them both in the second round they would still be busts. You also assume if Buffalo's inept pattern od developing QB's ws deployed on Cutler you would have received the same results. As i said before Cutler has better coaching and a system that plays to his strengths.

I believe Mularky, Fairchild and Schonert would have screwed up John Elway - just to use another Denver QB.

If I remember correctly, Levy actually said he had Cutler rated higher than Leinart. That's why a house-cleaning is needed in the organization. Too many people married to the losing decisions of the past. Look at Parcells and Miami. He didn't let Beck preclude him from getting Pennington and drafting Henne.

The retrospective scenarios are easy pictures to paint and completely irrelevant and inconsequential.

If you can take your hindsight and convert it into a draft strategy for this spring that actually offers any stimulating discussion as well as foresight then post away my man..

That's because Trent didn't completely fall on his face like Beck. You're honestly going to compare the two?

should have drafted Ngata

Well the way JP was playing at the end of the 06 season, there was no need to draft another QB in the 1st round. At the end of 2006, JP appeared to be coming on and improving. Since it did make sense to pick a QB in a later round, the TE pick was smart. Then 2007 starts, JP goes backwards, TE looked decent in pre-seaosn, coupled with JP's injury, opened the door for TE. And he we are.

Who was our #2 QB in 05 Holcomb?

The retrospective scenarios are easy pictures to paint and completely irrelevant and inconsequential.

If you can take your hindsight and convert it into a draft strategy for this spring that actually offers any stimulating discussion as well as foresight then post away my man..

The point, my man, is that Levy liked Cutler. Levy had a past with Ralph and had no experience putting a team together. Someone like a Parcells or a Polian would have got busy cleaning house and wouldn't have passed on a potential franchise QB because of Losman. If a similar scenario presents itself this year, even though I think Edwards can be a good QB, he is by no means a franchise QB, and I wouldn't be against drafting a potential franchise QB. Do you think Brandon has the balls or football intelligence to do something like that? Instead the Bills will continue the process of building an 8-8 team when what they need is a new front office with no ties to the past to come in and get rid of the dead weight. Lynch, Evans, Peters, Stroud, McKelvin, and maybe Whitner are my core guys and everyone else is replaceable. A pass rusher is first on the priority list and then I'd look to upgrade at QB or at least bring in legitimate competition for Edwards.

"Looking back" there are tons of guys we "could" of drafted. Geez. These 20/20 hindsights are crazy: Ernie Sims, Jay Cutler, Haloti Ngata, Antonio Cromartie, Deangelo Williams, Demeco Ryans, Marcus McNeil, Brandon Marshall. It's a big list.

I'm happy with the Whitner pick. Wasn't at the time, but am now.

ME I would have taking Cutler then we wouldnt be looking for a QB anymore <_<

I work at Vandy. I wished the Bills would have picked Cutler. JP or no JP. But I really wish they would have picked Ngata more. Sigh...

If you're picking a safety as a top 10 pick. His name better be Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott or John Lynch...

C

This coaching staff would have screwed Jay Cutler into the ground by now,no two ways about it. Please don't equate Dick Jauron to Mike Shanahan.

This team would never hire Shanahan because they wouldn't pay him. That is why we get dolts who call passing plays on obvious running downs, The Bills hire bargain basement coaches. Kinda like Walmart and costco left overs that hit the dollar store. bIlLSs r uS

Well the way JP was playing at the end of the 06 season, there was no need to draft another QB in the 1st round. At the end of 2006, JP appeared to be coming on and improving.

Only to people who look at stats in black & white instead of looking at what's going on on the field in color.

JP never had much pocket awareness, but padded his stats in a few games against bad defenses and looked a lot better on paper than he ever did in the entire 16 games that season. The final game in Baltimore was typical JP-throw 1 bomb to Lee Evans for a touchdown & suck the rest of the game.

Well the way JP was playing at the end of the 06 season, there was no need to draft another QB in the 1st round. At the end of 2006, JP appeared to be coming on and improving. Since it did make sense to pick a QB in a later round, the TE pick was smart. Then 2007 starts, JP goes backwards, TE looked decent in pre-seaosn, coupled with JP's injury, opened the door for TE. And he we are.

Who was our #2 QB in 05 Holcomb?

This was not about the 2006 season its about the 2006 draft that takes place in April 2006 not the season that takes place in September 2006. <_<

They Knew at the end of 2005 he wasnt the answer.

ME I would have taking Cutler then we wouldnt be looking for a QB anymore :thumbsup:

Let's not forget we could have also taken Aaron Rodgers or Jason Campbell with pick 20 in 2005 and Bob Sanders and Michael Turner in 2004 too had we never traded up for JP. :w00t:

Look: the Cutler and Ngata things aren't 20/20 hindsight. They were there in foresight. I think the consensus opinion on here was for Ngata. People were thrilled he was on the board, then they passed. Cutler/Leinart were on everyone's radar - call that one a wash, since people would probably have preferred Leinart.

Fans can be wrong too: see the Winston Justice/Broderick BUnkley fans; I was one of them. But the scouting team knew they needed a QB, and decided Cutler was great - and still passed on him.

ME I would have taking Cutler then we wouldnt be looking for a QB anymore :wallbash:

I remember that draft. I didn't feel the Bills had a starting caliber QB on the roster, which was a big reason why I wanted them to take Cutler. I was adamant enough that a poster who shall remain nameless derisively labeled me "Cutler's Arm." (If the Bills weren't interested in any of the quarterbacks, I'd wanted them to trade down and take Mangold. Which also would have been a better move than taking Whitner 8th overall.)

Would my first choice--drafting Cutler--have been a good idea in hindsight? Cutler is a better football player than Whitner, and the Bills really did need a quarterback. From that standpoint, taking Cutler would have been the right thing to do. But if Trent Edwards looks as good as he did earlier in the season, we'll have gotten our quarterback problems squared away with just a third round pick. If Edwards becomes a top-10 quarterback, the Bills might be better off with Whitner + Edwards as opposed to Cutler + a SS drafted in the 3rd round.

ME I would have taking Cutler then we wouldnt be looking for a QB anymore :wallbash:

Cutler would have fared no better here, than JP or Edwards, IMO.

Cutler would have fared no better here, than JP or Edwards, IMO.

BS Dean. Cutler played on an inferior Vanderbilt team against top SEC defenses week in & week out. Though they never had a winning record when he was in Vandy, he was pretty much the sole reason why they were even competitive. The guy had a 10xs better resume coming out of college then either Edwards or Losman. He is a football player & a true gunslinger with a rocket for an arm. Although he makes some dumb mistakes because he trusts his arm to much, he can make any throw on the field.

Can not blame the coaches for everything that happened to Losman. He has gone thru 2 head coaches & 3 o coordinators, & you know what pretty much they all eventually came to the same conclusion about JP. That they can not win with him leading the ship.

The book is still out on Edwards. I have high hopes for him still. Hopefully he plays better next year then he did this year. Next year maybe his make or break year here.