Albert Haynesworth UFA thanks to PROWBOWL Nomination

Poeticlaw

I think we should all go on a hunger strike and inform Ralph we won't eat solid food until he signs Haynesworth.

Interesting that he's cleaned up his act since the head stomping incident. Doesn't appear to be any lingering doubts.

Maybe we can get some of that O-Line to go on the hunger strike with us, maybe they would be able to move if they dropped a spare tire or two.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the cap space to offer him a big contract; but it's not going to be bigger than anything the Redskins, Cowboys, Titans, etc. would offer. Why would he come here instead?

Don't waste your time talking about this; it's not going to happen.

I tend to agree -- he will cost too much and the long term cap implications are scary. I'd love to have him though -would be an absolutely dominating pair on the interior of the line. Haynesworth might like the rotation system Buffalo plays - could extend his career a bit.

I strongly agree with that statement. Imagine Haynesworth & Stroud together, that right there with an impact DE defense would be pretty stout!

I like haynesworth but I don't know. Given the appalling set of defensive ends we have, maybe the worst platoon of DE's in the league, upgrading there might be more important.

I like haynesworth but I don't know. Given the appalling set of defensive ends we have, maybe the worst platoon of DE's in the league, upgrading there might be more important.

We will never, ever get a UFA defensive end who can rush the passer. It won't happen. It would be like getting a top flight UFA LT. Impossible Mick.

If the Bills want to get top DEs, Dick Levy will have to stop drafting defensive backs.

I tend to agree -- he will cost too much and the long term cap implications are scary. I'd love to have him though -would be an absolutely dominating pair on the interior of the line. Haynesworth might like the rotation system Buffalo plays - could extend his career a bit.

Long term cap implications are of no concern with the Bills as far under the cap as they are. In terms of costing too much, cut the dead weight and pay Haynesworth with that money. There is plenty of cap room to absorb any cuts. Who in their right mind wouldn't cut Kelsay or even Schobel if it meant landing Haynesworth? Keep Denney and play Spencer Johnson more at Defensive End. Sign another low cost defensive end (Kelsay at the veteran minimum) and draft a pass rusher with our 1st round pick.

Here is an link confirming the news.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20081217...RTS01/812170388

Instead of signing 3-4 middle of the road/average FAs. Haynesworth should be our only FA target. I don't care what it takes make him the highest paid defensive player in the league. We can completely remake our D-line by drafting an DE in the 1st round. Also, I would try to trade Kelsay and his albatross of an contract to anyone that it is interested what we get in return would not be important.

I agree. Our D line is more than a rookie DE away from being playoff caliber. If you cut Schoble and Kelsay, took the cap hit, And signed Albert to a huge deal, I think youd only see us use about 1-2 mil more than before. Not to mention we are 25 Mil under every stinking year. Draft the top DE with the top 10 pick we are going to have and get some cheap vet depth through FA at DE and I am fine. Denny has been our best DE this year too.

Guys, we are the Buffalo Bills at (hopefully) the end of a long down cycle of losing and being an embarassing also ran. I am confident and ever optimistic that we can turn it around and that we can make the playoffs next year, but we are NOT a place that can currently attract the premier level of free agents. And this is probably good, because relative to our total team, the big money guys don't necessarily make sense (Dockery...glad to have him, but we overpaid for the third best guard on the market). We need to build a playoff team using free agency for smart acquisitions of underrated good football players to go with our core talent.

But I am still optimistic and think we have fewer holes than it seems, have a lot of players on the upside of their career, and that adding a DE and a TE along with any general improvements we can do, and fixing the coaching situation is enough. Maybe in five years we can be a team to attract premier free agents, but I think we are not now, and we can build a winner just the same.

There's no way the Bills would or could outspend more attractive locations for Haynesworth. The best we can hope for is that they pick up a decent C, G, and TE. The defense was good enough to win this year if they had help from the offense (and the coaches).

Assume its a perfect world and we had our pick:

Peppers:

28yrs old

6'7 283lb DE with 12.5 sacks this season, 5 FF, and 44 tackles

or

Haynesworth:

27yrs old

6'6 320lb DT with 8.5 sacks, 3 FF, and 51 tackles

Personally, I'd go with Peppers, since we've got Stroud in the middle, with a decent Williams next to him. Even if we do get Haynesworth, we still have to address the lack of a passrush from the outside.

Carolina has average DT's and Tennessee have average DE's, but we have average DT's and below average DE's. If Peppers has proven anything in his career so far, its that you don't need to have an all pro DT in the middle for him to be successful.

Cut Kelsay, pick up Peppers, and make sure Schobel is still alive, and I think our DLine is a strong one. :D

If Peppers doesn't stay with Carolina for his entire career I'll be stunned.

I think we should all go on a hunger strike and inform Ralph we won't eat solid food until he signs Haynesworth.

Interesting that he's cleaned up his act since the head stomping incident. Doesn't appear to be any lingering doubts.

Suicidal?

According to espn since Haynesworth made the pro bowl, it triggered a clause in his contract guaranteeing he can become an unrestricted free agent after this season. Tennessee still has exclusive rights to negotiate with him until Feb 27, but if his agent is smart he will hit the market.

If the Bills want to dominate on defense there is a good start. Him and Stroud together look out! I would back up the Brinks truck for that guy.

I was watching MIKE AND MIKE this morning who first off said Peters wasnt worhty of the pick but on the crawl I saw that Albert Haynesworth had a clause in his contract that if he was to be named to the probowl the team could not GIVE him the FRANCHISE TAG.

Does this mean we have a shot to get him probably not since the team will most likely apply the tranisition tag whcih allows them to match any offer given but no picks would be given up if they decided not to match. But it might be harder to get him with his sprained MCL because teams might not want to overpay incase this turns into a lingering injury. Goo thing is that he should be back for the playoofs to give us an opprotuinty to see if there are any lingering affects.

I say get this beast improve that DL. Bad Knee and all hes better then the whole DL line we have now :D

I agree this is the type of player to pay big money for.

One, this topic is already started and its right at the top of all the threads...

Two, everyone, including the Titans will be back the Brinks trucks right up to this dudes house...so, we need to be willing to first give him the money he will command, then two, he needs to choose us over all the other teams willing to give him the same amount of money...

This is a long shot at best...only thing in our favor is the appeal for him to get to play next to Stroud where he can no longer be double and tripled team as much because of Stroud and even Schobel.

I'd love to see us sign Haynesworth & Peppers. That would be a monster line: Peppers, Stroud, Haynesworth & Schobel. Doubt it would happen, but would be great if it did.

lol...man, talk about giving opposing coaches nightmares the week leading up to the game...they would chit themselves. Too bad the odds of this happening are about the same as the Oakland Raiders becoming the best place to coach in the NFL.

lol...man, talk about giving opposing coaches nightmares the week leading up to the game...they would chit themselves. Too bad the odds of this happening are about the same as the Oakland Raiders becoming the best place to coach in the NFL.

:lol:

I hear ya on that.

One, this topic is already started and its right at the top of all the threads...

Two, everyone, including the Titans will be back the Brinks trucks right up to this dudes house...so, we need to be willing to first give him the money he will command, then two, he needs to choose us over all the other teams willing to give him the same amount of money...

This is a long shot at best...only thing in our favor is the appeal for him to get to play next to Stroud where he can no longer be double and tripled team as much because of Stroud and even Schobel.

but who has the best available salary cap space and Toronto million sot spend ???

I know I'm high, but how else do you deal with this crap year after year

I think there would be a good chance of the Bills are willing to pay. Can't imagine half of the league has enough cap space to afford his demands. Although Tennessee seems like his best option.