Chris Collinsworth Says Bills Did the Dumbest Thing in NFL History

Setrett

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forbes Bills Value 2008

That's patently false. Buffalo isn't the biggest market, but I'm tired of people throwing in the towel simply because of it.

What Ralph did in Toronto was a money grab, although they sold it as something absolutely necessary to preserving the future of the team. This was a pathetic effort at soothing fans' concerns about losing a home game. Meanwhile, RW said it would not result in extra monies being devoted to players. If they're not using the new revenue on players or operating the team, how does it keep the team there?

Everything this team is doing suggests they're making the team more attractive to a buyer. Their debt to value ratio is extremely low (11%) and expenses have been kept to a minimum. Having Toronto signed, sealed, and delivered makes the team even more attractive as the buyer will have a high debt to value ratio.

Ralph's team increased in value last year 8% to an estimated 885M. Even in these uncertain economic times, that team will go for a minimum of 900M+ when it's put up. I'll be interested in how much the Rams get when they're sold.

The final line of the text tells it all: "But when you're 90 years old and have no plans of selling the team, you probably don't give a damn." And after RW's reaction to the Miami game, I don't think RW cares about anything but ensuring his family gets the most they can.

Agree, and it could help the team stay in Buffalo. If Ralph were a bigger spender and didn't do the Toronto deal, the Bills would have a very thin bottom line. Asking a buyer to invest $800 billion or more in something that doesn't make money in a limited market is tough. It might compel a buyer to move the team to a larger market. With the Bills being profitable in Buffalo, it's more likely that the team will stay particularly if the new buyer can negotiate some incentives with state and local governments which might include tax incentives and funding for a new stadium.

It would be a better argument to make if we hadn't already sunk our season over the course of the previous month and half.

Precisely.

Dumbest thing the Bills have ever done was when Ralph told Wade to start Rob Johnson over Flutie against Tennessee.

Not this tired old BS, again. Flutie never won a playoff game in the NFL, and he lost the game the previous year, with a fumble in the redzone. The only place Skin Flutie would have helped, against the Titans, was if he played on the kickoff coverage team, and managed to make a tackle.

For those of you who didn't see this on Inside the NFL, Chris Collinsworth made the following statement:

CHRIS COLLINSWORTH: In the history of the National Football League there has never been anything dumber than the Buffalo Bills selling out their home game against the Miami Dolphins to go play in Toronto and take the cash. Season over. Thank you very much, Buffalo Bills, don't know what to say...

PHIL SIMMS: [interrupting] In history? In history!?

CHRIS COLLINSWORTH: In the history of the NFL!

WARREN SAPP: Tell us how you really feel!

CHRIS COLLINSWORTH: [undeterred] The dumbest thing that's ever happened.

PHIL SIMMS: You feel better?

CHRIS COLLINSWORTH: I hope they spend the money wisely and get a nice car. I don't know what they're going to do. It's stupid.

He said that to deflect attention from the real worst decision of all time which was the hiring of Jauron.

For those of you who didn't see this on Inside the NFL, Chris Collinsworth made the following statement:

CHRIS COLLINSWORTH: In the history of the National Football League there has never been anything dumber than the Buffalo Bills selling out their home game against the Miami Dolphins to go play in Toronto and take the cash. Season over. Thank you very much, Buffalo Bills, don't know what to say...

CHRIS COLLINSWORTH: I hope they spend the money wisely and get a nice car. I don't know what they're going to do. It's stupid.

I typically don't like Collinsworth. I always thought he over-exagerates-but-he's right. I totally agree with him.

Not this tired old BS, again. Flutie never won a playoff game in the NFL, and he lost the game the previous year, with a fumble in the redzone. The only place Skin Flutie would have helped, against the Titans, was if he played on the kickoff coverage team, and managed to make a tackle.

I was not a big fan of Flutie's, and I was especially irritated by him getting credit for a playoff bid that happened because of the stellar defense, but I remember thinking that starting Johnson against that tough pass rush of the Titans, with an offensive line that was bad to begin with and was ridiculously dinged up on top of that, may not have been the wisest choice. Flutie had his own deficiencies but he would've avoided the negative plays that Johnson had at the beginning of the game.

I wasn't opposed to switching quarterbacks, in fact I thought it would be awesome if they played each of them to take advantage of their strengths (put RJ in against a team like the Colts that could be a shootout, Flutie against a good pass-rushing team, etc.).

Still, all that being said, RJ didn't cost them that game.

all i can say is the truth hurts. from an unbiased outside opinion in the national spotlight telling it like it is that our beloved bills organization is a trainwreck. It bruises our already crushed egos and it digs the salt deeper into the wounds. It makes us more hostile and resentful of the "media" and "outsiders" who just dont "understand" buffalo... well we just dont want the truth. the truth hurts.

if 99 people tell you the sky is blue, and you think it's orange, your probably wrong...

I can think of two things dumber than letting the team play in Toronto:

1. Not firing Marv Levy after the second Superbowl loss, seeing that he obviously couldn't get out of this group what COULD have been gotten out of them.

2. Getting rid of Bill Polian for stupid personal reasons involving his c**t daughter.

the dumbest thing that ralph has ever done was getting rid of bill polian

CORRECT ANSWER.

but when are we going to have a trainer that understands the 21st century NFL?

Take 8 starters off any team and tell me how much of the 2008 slide is coaching...

Thank God Stroud is for real and Kiwauki is too.

Ralph all I want for XMAS is a Pro Bowl Ultra Durable Uber Smart Center...now is that really asking to much???

:blink:

My bad, i've always thought Chris Collinsworth both as a receiver and then as a NFL retired professional commentator were the dumbest things in the history of the NFL.

THE BILLS DIDN'T CHOOSE WHICH GAME WAS GONNA BE PLAYED IN TORONTO.

Just 'cause someone on TV says something, it doesn't mean it's accurate...

The Bills have like the lowest tickets prices in the NFL...its is like buying a Ford Fiesta to try and compete against Porsche and Ferrari...and then all the fans sit around and complain about the production out of their Fiesta!

Maybe you really do get what you pay for - what do you think Fiesta..err...Bills fans?

As I said, value doesn't mean squat. What is important is income, and ours is virtually the lowest in the league. Whether you like it or not, those are the facts. Ralph desperately needs income. One way to get it in most cities is to raise ticket prices. But in the Buffalo market, if you do that, you won't fill the stadium w/ a bunch of annoying, retarded drunks who aren't even there to watch the game but rather to drink watered down versions of inferior alcoholic beverages (Pudweiser in particular) and then constantly get up to irritate those who are actually there to watch the game as they run back and forth from the concession stand to the bathroom and back to their seats. The Bills have kept ticket prices insanely low for just that reason, and if you don't think that is a huge benefit for Bills fans, I don't know what to say to you. The games in Toronto are a reasonable way to deal with the situation.

Fixed it for ya.

Value doesn't matter squat. Not until you sell the team. The Bills are the equivalent of a house-poor family, a family which owns an expensive house, which then eats up all their income on mortgage payments, tax payments, etc., all on something which will not pay them a penny until they either sell or die. That's the Bills.

As I said, value doesn't mean squat. What is important is income, and ours is virtually the lowest in the league. Whether you like it or not, those are the facts. Ralph desperately needs income. One way to get it in most cities is to raise ticket prices. But in the Buffalo market, if you do that, you won't fill the stadium. The Bills have kept ticket prices insanely low for just that reason, and if you don't think that is a huge benefit for Bills fans, I don't know what to say to you. The games in Toronto are a reasonable way to deal with the situation.

If you don't like it, how about voting for politicians who will change the business climate in Buffalo by lowering our much higher than usual taxes, allowing businesses to come back to our city. Don't blame this on Ralph Wilson. Buffalo voters are complicit in the horrible economic climate in the area.

Sorry buddy, but you really do not understand finance. While the bills revenues maybe in the bottom third of the league the bills carry pretty much zero debt. So what that the bills revenues are not what some teams are, their debt service is pretty much zilch compared to teams that are carrying millions & millions of dollars in debt service each year. What is the bills bottom line(net profit)? My guess, & it is only a guess is it is in the top half of the league. That is what really matters. Now when they sell the team, obviously the new owner is going to have a pretty big debt load but since Ralphie pays nothing for the stadium & owes no debt on the team right off the bat he is significantly ahead of most teams when it comes to their bottom line.