Free Agents

I think the Bills are much much much more desperate for a stud DE that can actually get to the QB.

on top of that we are desperate for an OLB to replace Ellis...

haynesworth will be franchised. The Titans are kicking ass this year because of him. he is a game changer.

Haynesworth was franchised last year..I don't think he can be franchised again!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haynesworth along with Julius Peppers, Terrell Suggs, Ray Lewis, Kurt Warner, Brandon Jacobs, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and Nnamdi Asomugha won't hit the UFA market.

Karlos Dansby, Jonathan Vilma, Bertrand Berry, Jordan Gross, Stacy Andrews, and Matt Birk probably won't either.

UFA is increasingly becoming less of an option for quality players with the salary cap rising so much each year.

Raiders WILL NOT Franchise Asomugha....at least that's my understanding...

Haynesworth WILL have a chance at UFA. The deals of his tag were that he wouldn't be tagged again if he hit 1 of 4 requirements. At this point, i believe he's hit all 4. He may choose to stay with tennessee, but they can't tag him again.

Didn't say he will be tagged. Just can't see Tennessee letting him go. He's one of, if not the most dominant DT in the NFL.

sorry bro. It is just mind boggling to me that we screwed up that pick so bad. A stud DT is one of the most coveted players and there aren't that many in the NFL- and we passed on two of the top ones. A different monkey could of drafted better that year

fixed

Didn't say he will be tagged. Just can't see Tennessee letting him go. He's one of, if not the most dominant DT in the NFL.

I can easily see Tennessee wanting to keep him. The question is will he take their offer, or see what he gets on the open market. I'm guessing either way he's looking at 10 mil per year.

Personally, I'd like to see them go fter Haynesworth...

If they can find it, offensive line help and a tight end. At the very least they should be the focus of their draft. There are obvious needs elsewhere, but sustained success is all about QB play and what the Bills have now is not going to develop into the kind of dominant line needed to make a championship run. They need a center, and they need competition for Dockery and Walker, both of whom show too little athleticism and power in such a physical division. The jury is also out on whether Brad Butler can stay healthy. I like the potential of Demetrius Bell, but he's a finesse tackle and not a great matchup versus physical 3-4 ends. Good OL make boring draft picks, but they make for exciting offenses.

I don't see any need for Housmanzadeh. That is the kind of misappropriation of funds that we're used to from the Bills. The Bills have plenty of WR, and while Reed is no TJ he does fill the posession role for a fraction of the cost. What the Bills need is a big time TE who can consistently exploit the weak middle of the cover 2 and open up the sidelines for Evans. The Bills actually have more talent at WR than they've had since the Moulds/Price/Reed year and I expect either Hardy or Johnson to become a quality #2 next season.

I know as well as anyone else that the Bills have no pass rush and need help there, but the team needs to choose an identity and if they have any faith at all in Edwards they should try to build around him instead of trying to build another top ranked defense that folds under pressure because the offense can't score or take control of a game. Besides that, I'd make the argument that it's easier to keep dominant offenses together longer, which provides the opportunity to build a dominant defense as well. And as we've seen from time to time, nothing makes a bunch of high motor stiffs look like pass rushers like playing with a lead.

Realistically, the Bills best chance to fill a gaping hole in FA with a quality veteran might be finding a good run-and-hit OLB. They aren't that coveted however, so the Bills will probably use a #1 pick on one so they can once again defy the critics who keep successfully predicting failure for the Bills.

\

sorry bro. It is just mind boggling to me that we screwed up that pick so bad. A stud DT is one of the most coveted players and there aren't that many in the NFL- and we passed on two of the top ones. A monkey could of drafted better that year

Are you serious?

Haynesworth was virtually an unknown commodity for the duration of the college season that year, and shot up draft boards after the season based on his size/speed ratio, skill set and potential. He didn't show much in college, and was considered lazy. His character once he would get millions of dollars was in serious question. I know back then, I wouldn't have touched the guy, and a lot of other people felt the same way.

He was drafted high anyway by some team that took a chance, and it worked out in the best possible scenario. When it doesn't work out, you are left with guys like Gerrard Warren, Dewayne Robertson, Jonathan Sullivan and Jimmy Kennedy, among many others. Its not as if we passed over an established, sure fire DT. I know I wouldn't have taken that risk, and I don't blame the Bills for feeling the same way.

Too bad the choice we actually made turned out to be the player I feared Haynesworth to be.

Are you serious?

Haynesworth was virtually an unknown commodity for the duration of the college season that year, and shot up draft boards after the season based on his size/speed ratio, skill set and potential. He didn't show much in college, and was considered lazy. His character once he would get millions of dollars was in serious question. I know back then, I wouldn't have touched the guy, and a lot of other people felt the same way.

He was drafted high anyway by some team that took a chance, and it worked out in the best possible scenario. When it doesn't work out, you are left with guys like Gerrard Warren, Dewayne Robertson, Jonathan Sullivan and Jimmy Kennedy, among many others. Its not as if we passed over an established, sure fire DT. I know I wouldn't have taken that risk, and I don't blame the Bills for feeling the same way.

Too bad the choice we actually made turned out to be the player I feared Haynesworth to be.

People seem to have forgotten than in his first 5 years in the league, the only thing newsworthy about haynesworth was the fact that he stomped on gurode's head.

who do we go after? GM and HC. If we don't, any player aquisition won't make much of a difference.

BINGO

It all depends on what type of under-achieving, under-paid, un(der)-talented Coach and possibly GM that Ralph brings in to screw it up this time. Ralph's ability to evaluate a GM is basically 1 for the Franchise. Polian brought in Butler and that other guy that went out west, Arizona I think, who were pretty good GM's. This year, it should start at least with a Coach, hopefully someone who is a talent evaluator too.

Raiders WILL NOT Franchise Asomugha....at least that's my understanding...

Part of the reason Deangelo Hall was waived was to clear room for Asomugha. I think they'll shovel some cash at him, because he's the most dominant CB in the game. At least according to Mike Shanahan. <_<

Realistically, the Bills best chance to fill a gaping hole in FA with a quality veteran might be finding a good run-and-hit OLB. They aren't that coveted however, so the Bills will probably use a #1 pick on one so they can once again defy the critics who keep successfully predicting failure for the Bills.

It's so early, but if Alex Mack is on the board and Buffalo goes LB in the 15-20 pick range, I have a problem with the team's vision. Buffalo has used a host of picks on defense, and thrown big money at their OL problems. The current OL (minus Preston) has played 25 games together, and I'm not seeing much besides Peters and perhaps Butler. Coincidentally, both were groomed in the Bills system.

Of the 6 picks in either the first or second of DJ run drafts, they've used 3 1sts, a 2nd, and two thirds on defense. Not to mention the trade for Stroud, signing Spencer Johnson and Kawika Mitchell. It's time to draft OL early.

I wouldn't have a problem with a pass rusher, but OL ought to be the priority. The question fans should ask is where is this team going. This season it'll be tough to make it into the post-season but if we're just going to throw money at the OL and cross our fingers, there isn't a veritable plan. Actually, it's not a lot different than what Donahoe did, just with more dollars.

If they can find it, offensive line help and a tight end. At the very least they should be the focus of their draft. There are obvious needs elsewhere, but sustained success is all about QB play and what the Bills have now is not going to develop into the kind of dominant line needed to make a championship run. They need a center, and they need competition for Dockery and Walker, both of whom show too little athleticism and power in such a physical division. The jury is also out on whether Brad Butler can stay healthy. I like the potential of Demetrius Bell, but he's a finesse tackle and not a great matchup versus physical 3-4 ends. Good OL make boring draft picks, but they make for exciting offenses.

I don't see any need for Housmanzadeh. That is the kind of misappropriation of funds that we're used to from the Bills. The Bills have plenty of WR, and while Reed is no TJ he does fill the posession role for a fraction of the cost. What the Bills need is a big time TE who can consistently exploit the weak middle of the cover 2 and open up the sidelines for Evans. The Bills actually have more talent at WR than they've had since the Moulds/Price/Reed year and I expect either Hardy or Johnson to become a quality #2 next season.

I know as well as anyone else that the Bills have no pass rush and need help there, but the team needs to choose an identity and if they have any faith at all in Edwards they should try to build around him instead of trying to build another top ranked defense that folds under pressure because the offense can't score or take control of a game. Besides that, I'd make the argument that it's easier to keep dominant offenses together longer, which provides the opportunity to build a dominant defense as well. And as we've seen from time to time, nothing makes a bunch of high motor stiffs look like pass rushers like playing with a lead.

I agree with the OLB part...Terrell Suggs would look great at OLB. Perhaps try to revisit the Tony Gonzalez trade (now that he saw Edwards firsthand, who knows?). Take a C with the #1 pick.

I'd be very happy with an OLB who can rush the passer, a TE and a C.

I agree with every word of the above, but it begs a question.....how do we address the DT position to stop teams from running all over us?

I agree 100% that playing with a lead helps any pass rush, but so does forcing opponents to throw. Other than Stroud, I don't view the Bills as having any credible starters at DT, and I am not asking for them to be superstars. When Williams gets a good abngle he makes a hit, otherwise he and Johnson are simply shoved around. Not as bad as Kelsay is manhandled mind you but I'm talking in terms of the middle.

I have mentioned Terrence Cody before, but I have a feeling that he is going to be long gone by the time we select. Too bad, because he looks more like Kris Jenkins every time I watch him play. But as you say......OC is probably the best way to go.

As for the bolded, if Jauron picks a LB in round 1, in his mind, he will be taking a "big guy." :thumbdown:

If Vegas had a betting line on this, my money would say that he takes a safety, as well as another corner in the top 4 picks.

I would love to add another DT to pair with Stroud and move Williams and Johnson to the 2nd wave, but I just don't see any realistic scenarios to make that happen. Besides Cody in the draft, all the other DT's are too undersized for my liking, and I doubt any quality DT's hit free agency. This past offseason was the big time DT movement, and they were all mostly by trades. DE or center would be my highest draft priorities...OLB in free agency. I don't see the Bills going after a TE, I've lost all hope for that move. :thumbdown:

Haynesworth along with Julius Peppers, Terrell Suggs, Ray Lewis, Kurt Warner, Brandon Jacobs, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and Nnamdi Asomugha won't hit the UFA market.

Karlos Dansby, Jonathan Vilma, Bertrand Berry, Jordan Gross, Stacy Andrews, and Matt Birk probably won't either.

UFA is increasingly becoming less of an option for quality players with the salary cap rising so much each year.

I see it differently...

That means there is more money to be had on the free market....

FA is going to be a bigtime option for alot of these guys....

Especially Haynesworth